My first Tasso

Started by Brad Stab, November 06, 2009, 10:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Stab

This is my first attempt making Tasso.It tastes really good,nice and spicy. I did not have any butt, so I used some loin I had.
You can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish.

FLBentRider

That looks great Brad!

Dry cure ?

How long to your cure it ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Brad Stab

Quote from: FLBentRider on November 06, 2009, 11:04:34 AM
That looks great Brad!

Dry cure ?

Thanks,

I cured it for 4 hours with insticure #1, salt and sugar.
Then rubbed it with dry spices over night and smoked for 2.5 hours until IT of 150f

squirtthecat

That looks awesome...  I had tasso for the first time in Charleston, SC last month.   I will need to try that sometime!

Did you get the recipe from this site?

Brad Stab

Quote from: squirtthecat on November 06, 2009, 11:18:49 AM

That looks awesome...  I had tasso for the first time in Charleston, SC last month.   I will need to try that sometime!

Did you get the recipe from this site?

I did, I took some liberty with the dry rub. I left out the allspice and toasted an ancho chili, ground it with a touch of cinnamon and I also added a bit of garlic and onion powder, as well as paprika. I did use the cayenne, marjoram and pepper from the recipe. I like the flavor of the ancho. (oh a very small amount of cumin)

squirtthecat

Thanks!   Will bookmark this one for future reference... (once I get brave enough to try curing)

FLBentRider

Quote from: Brad Stab on November 06, 2009, 11:10:10 AM
Quote from: FLBentRider on November 06, 2009, 11:04:34 AM
That looks great Brad!

Dry cure ?

Thanks,

I cured it for 4 hours with insticure #1, salt and sugar.
Then rubbed it with dry spices over night and smoked for 2.5 hours until IT of 150f

Cure 4 hours or 4 days ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Brad Stab

FBR,

Hours not days. They are small pieces, about 1# each.It is a pretty strong cure using a tablespoon of Prague #1 for 5 lbs of pork.

OU812

That looks mighty tasty.

I have never made any Tasso but will before long.

Hopefull Romantic

They do look great Brad. Any leftovers  :D

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

KyNola

You tasso looks great Brad.  Man I love that stuff in gumbo and such.  There is a good tasso recipe posted in the pork section of the recipe site.  Stickbowcrafter posted it.  I have used it many times.  Really good.  NePaS has a really good recipe too.  I've used his as well.

KyNola

Brad Stab

I did you the recipe from the site. I did take some liberties with the rub however. I added a toasted & ground ancho, a little onion and garlic, paprika and a very small amount of cumin to the rub in the recipe. I want to make some gumbo and jambalaya with it.  :)

KyNola

And red beans and rice!!  Check out Jan's recipe for red beans and rice in the non smoked section of the forum.  Just add some tasso along with the andouille and ham.  YUM!!!

KyNola

Brad Stab

Quote from: KyNola on November 07, 2009, 07:37:40 AM
And red beans and rice!!  Check out Jan's recipe for red beans and rice in the non smoked section of the forum.  Just add some tasso along with the andouille and ham.  YUM!!!

KyNola

Will do, and thanks!!

OU812

Quote from: KyNola on November 07, 2009, 07:37:40 AM

KyNola

Now that does sound gooood.