• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Vent position while smoking

Started by Smoke Eater, November 08, 2009, 03:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoke Eater

I'm new to the Bradley Smoker, so I have a question for you seasoned smokers.  Do you leave the vent on top of the smoker wide open or do you partially close depend on what your smoking, weather etc?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Smoke Eater on November 08, 2009, 03:24:20 PM
I'm new to the Bradley Smoker, so I have a question for you seasoned smokers.  Do you leave the vent on top of the smoker wide open or do you partially close depend on what your smoking, weather etc?

Most of us have the vent from 1/4 to 1/2 to full open. Never close it off tight. Every few smokes take the top screw out and clean the inside and outside of the vent to keep it free moving. Warm soapy water is good enough for this.

nepas

squirtthecat

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on November 08, 2009, 03:42:11 PM
Quote from: Smoke Eater on November 08, 2009, 03:24:20 PM
I'm new to the Bradley Smoker, so I have a question for you seasoned smokers.  Do you leave the vent on top of the smoker wide open or do you partially close depend on what your smoking, weather etc?

Most of us have the vent from 1/4 to 1/2 to full open. Never close it off tight. Every few smokes take the top screw out and clean the inside and outside of the vent to keep it free moving. Warm soapy water is good enough for this.

nepas

Good advice.  Mine must welded solid (full open) to my OBS last night.

Tiny Tim

I keep mine full open.

Squirt, you can gently pry it off and it will turn again, but it works fine full open.

HawkeyeSmokes

Keep it open Smoke Eater. You never want to see smoke backing up by the smoke generator! And welcome to the forum.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

Hopefull Romantic

Squirt try to get some oven cleaner between the vent and the tower (spray orks best) and let it sit for a few minutes. Is should work. It did to me.

I leave my vent open 1/2 to full open.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

pensrock

ArnieM

Always half to full open here too.  Full open most of the time except when preheating.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

Full open on most every thing but sausage then its half or just under but never fully closed.

Smoke Eater

Thanks for all the replies and the advice!