• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked Deer Shoulder

Started by duxbux, November 09, 2009, 08:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duxbux

New to the Forum, I've been browsing lately.  I've got way too much deer and running out of ideas. I had an older Bradley Smoker and just upgraded to the 4 rack Digital. I have made brats, summer sausage, jerky so far.

I have a bunch of Sika Deer Whole Shoulders and was wondering if I could ham these?  Any Ideas?

Also looking for a receipe to make jerky from sliced roasts/steaks.

Backstrap recipes?

Looking to try to smoke this shoulder this weekend, I have a LEM ham curing kit and thought about curing it and then smoking it, but unfamiliar with temps and times.

Thanks for the Help!

Mike

Bradley 4-Rack Digital

Hopefull Romantic

I wish I could help you in those departments but I am sure that some one will be here soon to do just that.

I just wanted to welcome you to the forum and to the fun.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Tenpoint5

The temps and times I use for ham are:

120* 12 hours NO smoke, vent wide open then
140* 8 hours, WITH smoke, vent 1/2 then
165* until Internal Temp of 152*, vent 1/4 open
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Welcome to the fun duxbux

I like to take a whole back strap and do it up just like Canadian Bacon, or slice it length ways and beat flat like you would do a chicken fried steak then stuff it with whatever you please and roll back up so it looks like a loin again then wrap in a bacon weave. Cook both just like you would CB. Or take the loin and cut into 1 1/2" steaks and beat flat, bread with some corn meal then fry and make some killer chicken fried deer loin.

duxbux

My shoulder is about 5 pounds, and the bone was removed, which i realized once defrosted.

Do you think I should still go with the 120 for 12 hours?
Bradley 4-Rack Digital

classicrockgriller

dux, I think that was one long cook time.

Start at 120* 12 hours NO smoke, vent wide open

Then 140* 8 hours, WITH smoke, vent 1/2

Last 165* until Internal Temp of 152*, vent 1/4 open

That is 20 plus hrs at low and ramping up the temp.