New digital owner - San Francisco

Started by Tim SF, November 09, 2009, 04:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Welcome to the fun of smoking, watch out this kind of smoking is addictive.

Try it again just like the first time but drop the mesquite and cut the smoke time to 3 hr. Take notes till you get it the way you like.

Even our mistakes taste good maybe not what we wanted but still good.

Try and try again.

Tim SF

Let me give a try then...

hey - looks like that works - Thanks CRG!

ArnieM

Welcome to the forum Tim.  I'd also cut the smoking time some and probably substitute hickory for the mesquite.  I'm sure I'll get an argument from the Texans on that one.  :D

Pic looks good.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Tenpoint5

Tim,
I reread your original post and I had one of my THUNKs. You said you had a "Bitter" after taste. Makes me thunk you had the vent closed or nearly closed and with the long smoke time the moisture built up inside the cabinet and collected even more of the smoke. When the moisture got to heavey with the smoke added to it. It settled on your ribs giving them an acrid bitter taste. Make sure you have your vent AT LEAST 1/2 to 3/4 of the way open during your cooks. So the smoke can carry the moisture away after it has kissed the meat on its way by. Like I said just a thunk as I was reading into your post, probably more than I should have.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

That's a good thunk 10.5 and a good point.  I almost always go full open now.  If the 'gunk' accumulates around the vent and drips on the food - not "Good Eats".
-- Arnie

OU812

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on November 10, 2009, 04:08:05 PM
Tim,
I reread your original post and I had one of my THUNKs. You said you had a "Bitter" after taste. Makes me thunk you had the vent closed or nearly closed and with the long smoke time the moisture built up inside the cabinet and collected even more of the smoke. When the moisture got to heavey with the smoke added to it. It settled on your ribs giving them an acrid bitter taste. Make sure you have your vent AT LEAST 1/2 to 3/4 of the way open during your cooks. So the smoke can carry the moisture away after it has kissed the meat on its way by. Like I said just a thunk as I was reading into your post, probably more than I should have.

I kinda thunk the same thing, or the messy wood.

Tim SF

10.5 - thanks for the feedback. Actually, I had the vent fully opened. I think that i just kept it smoking too long. I did some country-pork ribs yesterday w/ less smoking time and it dialed it back into the proper range. (I'm gonna try and post some pics of them).

thx again.

Tim

Tim SF

speaking of posting pics, etc. I'm up for some advice here. Not sure what the protocol, etc is. Sometimes I shoot more food than I eat.... I just did some last minute country ribs. No tricked out recipe, or anything. Say I wanted to share those pics, what would be the appropriate section/etc ? Also, any unwritten rules/guidelines?

thanks in advance.

Tim

ArnieM

Generally, put the pics into a topic in the most appropriate section.  I suppose the ribs would go in 'Meat'.  Pic size should normally not be any larger than 800x600.

Let's see what ya got!  :D
-- Arnie

Tenpoint5

Quote from: aittmc on November 11, 2009, 08:51:02 AM
10.5 - thanks for the feedback. Actually, I had the vent fully opened. I think that i just kept it smoking too long. I did some country-pork ribs yesterday w/ less smoking time and it dialed it back into the proper range. (I'm gonna try and post some pics of them).

thx again.

Tim

Cool I read into it way to far. Glad things worked out for you on the CS ribs. We are all still learning about this addiction we have. If all else fails post under general discussions.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!