New digital owner - San Francisco

Started by Tim SF, November 09, 2009, 04:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim SF

Greetings all,

This appears to be a nice little resource to learn and (in time) share.

Just opened my b-day present and did 3 racks of baby-backs yesterday. Dry rub for 8 hrs, alder,apple and mesquite (2,2,1 ratio) for 4 hrs smoke time, 5.5 hrs in the unit. Temp between 175-220 (mostly at higher end). Outer texture was good, cooked, but still juicy. I was good w/ most of it, but I think (well, I know actually) I overdid the smoke. Was just too over-the-top w/ a little bit of bitter finish. Would be interested in hearing anything related to that (smoke time, vs cook-time).

Cheers - Tim

classicrockgriller

Tim, welcome to the forum and congrats on a great B-day present.

10.5 has a great way of doing ribs in bradley and it calls for 3 hrs of smoke 2 hrs in foil (no smoke) and 1 hr out of foil (no Smoke)

It makes some killer ribs.

The fun part of the Bradley is you get to try again.

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome to the forum Tim! It's a great place to learn from. Check out the recipe site. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/

And here's a link to the 10.5 method of cooking ribs that CRG mentioned. It does work well! http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=332
HawkeyeSmokes

JoeHifi

deb415611

Smokin Soon

Welcome Tim! We had a few Bay Area Smokers here, but I think they have left this overpriced place! Your gonna have a good time here, lots of advice available anytime you need it. I'm in the East Bay, Union City.

squirtthecat

Welcome Tim!

I'm rooted in the cornfields of the Midwest, but I've got an uncle not far from you in Fremont..

Scotty-G

Welcome Tim and Happy Belated!

Hope you enjoy your Bradley!

Great to see another Bay Area resident smoker - I'm in the South Bay - San Jose
And before anyone asks - yes, I do know the way  ;)

Scotty-G

Tim SF

Thanks for all the welcomes. I will try and make some contributions to the site/forum.

T

classicrockgriller

Hopefull Romantic

Welcome to the forum aittmc

great peoplepeople here and lots of advise for the asking. Remember always keep the vent at least half open.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

Tim welcome to the forum and Congratulations on the great B'day present.  You'll have fun learning it and for years to come. 

To me there is never too much smoke flavor.  But having said that some don't like as much.  Merely reduce the number of pucks you use.  Instead of 4 hours (16 pucks), use say 2 hours (8 pucks) next time.  Changing to type of puck known to not be as strong will "help" also, but not as much as reducing the number of pucks.  Besides you are already using alder and apple - two of the more mild smoking woods.  Next time I'd do just as you did, just cut down on the number of pucks.  You might have to do that a couple of times until you hit dead on what you like, but guess what the failed tries are good eats too - nothng wasted, but lots gained.  Just as an aside 5.5 hours for baby backs is getting on the long side.  Pre-heat the Bradley to say 275 or so then put the meat in and reset the temp to 220 to 230.  Those guys should be done in 4 hours or so - maybe a little longer.   Due to the location the come from on the hog, baby backs are usually tender enough, they don't need long low and slow to tenderize - you only need to gently get them done and flavored with smoke before they get overdone.   I've even grilled them quite a few times with good success. 

Happy Trails. (I saw Ranger Bob at lunch yesterday)
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

muzzletim

Welcome to the forum. The advice you have gotten is good! Just try again!
Tim