• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

KitchenAid Meat Grinder Attachment – Grinder Plate

Started by Habanero Smoker, November 13, 2009, 02:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

I generally make small batches of sausages, usually 5 to 10 pounds at a time. The grinder attachment works great but I only had two choices of grinder plates. I want to make other sausages that call for a coarser cut, so I was about to purchase a grinder.  As a final act of desperation before ordering the grinder I did a search for KitchenAid Grinder Plates, and came up with this result.

10.5mm KitchenAid Grinder Plate

The price is the same as a replacement plate from KitchenAid, and the postage was $4.95 priority mail. I ordered it on Tuesday, and it arrived today. Real fast delivery considering it was across country, and a holiday in between.

I haven't used it yet, but it matches the other plates I have, and fits just like the others. The holes are a little over 3/8" (.41"). He also sells a 12.5mm; about ½" (.49) grinder plate.

12.5mm KitchenAid Grinder Plate.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jaredpost

Let me know how those work for you. I also use the kitchenaid grinder and would be interested in them if they work well.

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.

deb415611

I bought them after I threw away (I assume) my larger kitchen aid grinder plate.  I have only used the 10.5mm a few times and it works fine. 

Habs - did you see any the size of the larger kitchen aid ones in your search?  I haven't been able to find one. 

HCT

Great find Habs. I'm just not ready to invest in a grinder and this find makes life easier.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Habanero Smoker

The grinder plate worked very well; so well that I had trouble keeping up feeding the meat through. I did have one initial problem, which I believe was caused by  my error. When I changed plates I did not make sure the auger was fully seated. When the grinder was turned on I heard a high pitch sound. After reseating the auger everything was fine. When I was cleaning the grinder parts, the back of the 10.5mm grinder plate was shaved.

There was no apparent damage to the blade, and during grinding the blade was cutting cleanly. Again I believe this was my fault, and nothing to do with the plate. I ground 20 pounds of meat this morning and was in a hurry, and when I switched plates, I had already ground 10 pounds. In fact, I felt it worked so well that today I ordered the 12.5mm plate.

Here is a couple of photos. The first is the plate mounted, the second is shoulder that was ground through the KitchenAid 1/4" plate, and the third picture is shoulder ground through the 10.5mm custom made plate. Though it is hard to tell the difference from the photos, the ground meat is much coarser.

10.5mm Grinder Plate Mounted

Pork Shoulder ground through standard 1/4" grinder plate

Pork Shoulder ground through custom made 10.5mm grinder plate

Deb,

When I purchased my food grinder attachment, the only plates available were 1/8" and 1/4". I read some where's that the earlier attachment also came with a 3/8" plate. I'm not familiar with the grinding plates you are referring to. The links I provided are custom made, which I believe by the seller.

HCT;

I wasn't sure about the quality, so I only order the one size. Now that I know it works well, I wish I order both at the same time, I would have saved $5.00. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

deb415611

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 14, 2009, 02:12:56 PM

Deb,

When I purchased my food grinder attachment, the only plates available were 1/8" and 1/4". I read some where's that the earlier attachment also came with a 3/8" plate. I'm not familiar with the grinding plates you are referring to. The links I provided are custom made, which I believe by the seller.

Habs,

I was referring to the 1/4".  I looked around to try to find a replacement since mine is gone but haven't found anywhere to buy one. 

Deb

Habanero Smoker

KitchenAid sells them as replacement parts on their site for $15 each, but for the life of me I cannot relocate it. When I first did a search for "KitchenAid Grinder Plates" I found a bunch of places that sold the replacement plates. I tried searching again and for now could only come up with these sites.

KitchenAid Grinder Parts

Food Grinder Replacement Parts

I
         don't
                   inhale.

deb415611

Thank you Habs!!   I can usually find anything but for some reason came up empty when I tried except for the custom ones.  

I almost missed this in the middle of all the spam >:(  I like your suggestion to Brian on the mark as read in your other thread.

Habanero Smoker

Yeah! That was one busy spammer.

I'm going to keep looking for the original grinder plates, because I am positive it was on the KitchenAid site. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

deb415611

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 15, 2009, 01:57:18 AM
KitchenAid sells them as replacement parts on their site for $15 each, but for the life of me I cannot relocate it. When I first did a search for "KitchenAid Grinder Plates" I found a bunch of places that sold the replacement plates. I tried searching again and for now could only come up with these sites.

KitchenAid Grinder Parts

Thanks Habs.   

I ordered the kitchen aid coarse grinding plate from the first link above (in quote above,not from the OP in this thread) on Sunday.  Received it today (Wed) and it shipped from Utah. 

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: deb415611 on November 18, 2009, 09:08:38 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 15, 2009, 01:57:18 AM

KitchenAid Grinder Parts

Thanks Habs.   

I ordered the kitchen aid coarse grinding plate from the first link above (in quote above,not from the OP in this thread) on Sunday.  Received it today (Wed) and it shipped from Utah. 

Your welcome. I just recieved my 12.5mm plate today. I don't have any sausage in mind for it yet, but I am itching to use it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

classicrockgriller