first smoked turkey "how am i doing?"

Started by sterlingpriceporker, November 14, 2009, 08:30:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sterlingpriceporker

the brine.... i tried fresh spices. We haven't had a hard freeze yet so they are still growing in the pots on the deck.
I brought this mixture to a boil and put the turkey and brine and second gallon of cold water to cover the bird in the frig.

1 gallon water
2 cups kosher salt
1.5 cups dark brown sugar
1 cup maple syrup
1 bunch oregano
1 bunch rosemary
1 bunch thyme

13 hours later out of the brine I rinsed the bird. Back in the rig over night to dry the skill.

Now the rub:
I saw a cinnamon rub that looked interesting so I'm trying it with a change or two that's part of the plan right? This is what I used for my large turkey.

Combine the following:

4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 teaspoon brown sugar
3 teaspoon Smoked paprika
2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
2 teaspoon Chinese five spice

I covered the bird with olive oil and rubbed it in.

I was wondering how to set the bird on the rack them I remembered that I had my wire rack for deep frying turkey. Turns out it fits on the Bradley rack just fine and holds the big bird upright for smoking. This my be something everyone is doing but I hadn't seen it on the forum.

I'm now in the smoker. I'm going with hickory, what temp should I be running at? Right now I'm just got it running on puck heat only.

(sorry all I'm still trying to figure out how to load pictures into the post)
truly great men know the power of napping. I'm a great man.

squirtthecat

I go with 220 degrees or so.   I'd fire up the cabinet right now - it'll take quite a while to warm that bird up..

HR and I did some Chinese 5 spiced birds a while back, they were a hit!

sterlingpriceporker

should i run the slider (on the bottom) to high and back it down if i get above 220?

squirtthecat

Quote from: sterlingpriceporker on November 14, 2009, 08:37:50 AM
should i run the slider (on the bottom) to high and back it down if i get above 220?

Correct.   Run it wide open until you see 220, then fiddle with it to hold that temp.

Keep the vent at least 3/4 open, there is a lot of moisture in that bird, and you don't want the smoke and related funk building up and dripping on it.

Good idea on the fryer basket, I hadn't thought of that!

Hopefull Romantic

I love your recipe and squirt is right about the five spices rub.

I am just a bit concerned when you said you boiled the brine and placed the bird in. Did you cool off the brine completelt before placing the Turkey?

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

pensrock

When I do poultry in the Bradley, I tend to go higher in the temperature. Say 250-260F.

squirtthecat

Quote from: pensrock on November 14, 2009, 08:52:55 AM
When I do poultry in the Bradley, I tend to go higher in the temperature. Say 250-260F.

Good point, pens.   I'm limited to 220 with my Ranco, so that is always my 'max'. (although I can trick it by suspending the probe higher in the cabinet)

pensrock

sterlingpriceporker

yes i cooled down the brine, i saw that on another post. 

sterlingpriceporker

I've seen some pictures of foil covered bricks on the smoker. do they do that to get more heat?

squirtthecat

They help retain heat, if you preheat the smoker with the bricks inside.

sterlingpriceporker

Quote from: squirtthecat on November 14, 2009, 08:43:25 AM
Quote from: sterlingpriceporker on November 14, 2009, 08:37:50 AM

Good idea on the fryer basket, I hadn't thought of that!

i didn't use the fryer basket, i used the wire deep fried base and rod that go threw the turkey when you deep frying. the basket didn't fit. but the wire rod and base work great.

sterlingpriceporker

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on November 14, 2009, 08:50:05 AM
I love your recipe and squirt is right about the five spices rub.

I am just a bit concerned when you said you boiled the brine and placed the bird in. Did you cool off the brine completelt before placing the Turkey?

HR

I boiled 1/2 the brine and then added Ice and cold water to cool it. I also didn't get it too a rolling boil just started boiling...my hope it that would release more of the flavor on the herbs.

squirtthecat

Sounds like you are off to a good start.   Let us know how it turns out!

PS.  You might have to blast it in the oven for a bit if you are going to eat the skin, otherwise the cooler/moisture laden air in the smoker will turn it a bit rubbery.

We don't eat it, so I just peel it away.

sterlingpriceporker

thanks for that tip.
I have to say all the help i get here is wonderful.
I'm hoping to be able to upload pictures when I'm done. I haven't figured that out yet. I'll check the help area and talk to a friend who has more forum experience than me.