Hello

Started by echo690, November 14, 2009, 06:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

echo690

Hi everyone.  I'm not new to smoking, but I'm interested in a Bradley 6 rack and have a few questions.  I'm use to a log hot smoker, usually a converted propane tank with a separate hot box.  I've started making my own sausage and going to start curing my own hams and bacon and want to start to do some cold smoking also.  My questions are the following:

1.  What is the weight capacity of the 6 rack.
2.  Can you hang sausage or hams in it?
3.  Can you still use is for hot smoking brisket, pork butts, ribs, etc. like a hot smoker?
4.  How does it do outside under a carport cover?  Does it need some type of enclosure around it?
5.  Would it be better to build a warmer type and use the smoke generator instead?
6.  What other accessories would you recommended (PID, temp probes, etc.)?

I'm thinking of getting into game meat processing right now just for hurting buddies, but thinking of it as a retirement gig in 5 to 7 years.  I already have a 10 x 12 walk-in cooler and most of the processing equipment.  

I live in southeast Georgia along the coast so the climate does not get that cold but gets pretty warm.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.  :)

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there echo690 and welcome to the forum. Although I am not the expert here I would like to give you some answers and I am sure the more experienced would be chiming in soon. I do own the DBS 6 racks.

1- I am not sure about the exact capacity but I have heard it can hold between 25 and 30 pounds.
2- I have not done sausages yet but yes you can hang sausages in there. By placing a rod where the shelves go, you can hang quite few ropes of sausages there. Many on this forum do that.
3- Yes you can and there are some real good experts in smoking briskets and butts here with great recipes and methods. Just about any thing you can think off, it has been in the smoker on this forum, wives and kin folks not withstanding. ;D
4- The Bradley works great where ever you place it. It should be shielded from wing and rain. You can make an enclosure and you can just put it on the ground.
5- Depending on the quantity per load you intend to smoke, you could build a smoke house it you want and use the smoke generator. There is a member in this forum from New Zealand who built a smoke house utilizing three smoke generators.
6- Although I have the digital, I did buy a plug and play PID from Auber. It works great on better controlling your tower temperature. In addition, PID is great to ramp temps. An added plus for sausage and salmon smoking. As for the probes, many here use the Maverick ET73; a duel prob wireless thermometer that gives you the chance to monitor the tower temp (better than the readout on the SG) as well as the internal temp of your meat in the smoker.

Hope I have been of some help.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.