• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoker

Started by Heavy, March 08, 2005, 04:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heavy

What will happen if I use foil in my Bradley Smoker?

BigSmoker

Heavy,
How bouts a little more info[:D].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Heavy

Hey Jeff, Thanks for the quick response. Well, I am new to this & the smoker, the recipe I am looking at is for a brisket and the recipe calls for wrapping it in foil 2/3rd's of the way done. The Bradley smoker says no foil so how do I do this recipe without the foil?

MallardWacker

Heavy,

I'm a little short on time here but there is wealth of info of doing a brisket in a Bradley.  It is a bit different.  Personally I don't think you will have to use foil.  The very short way of doing a brisket in a BS is to preheat your smoker to 225-250 or so then cook @225 till an internal of 185 THEN pull the meat double wrap in foil, wrap in a couple towls, then place in a picnic cooler for 2hrs. This is what we call "FTC".  You <u>will</u> be happy.  Also only use 4hrs of your favorite smoke.  One other tip, leave that door shut!!!  You can check it every 4-6hrs or so but KEEP IT SHUT!!!  Like I said do a search, especially under "brisket" and "BigSmoker", he is kind of the brisket dude around these them parts...HTH

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

BigSmoker

Heavy,
MW has it for you in a nut shell.  Good info.  I've never found it necessary to wrap the brisket in foil before the FTC.  The FTC is absolutely necessary for brisket.  This rest time allows all the juices inside the brisket to redistribute throughout the meat.  If you sliced it right out of the smoker all the juices will run out of it and it will be dry as a bone.  I also recommend always buying choice grade meat for your brisket endeavors.  Select sometimes doesen't have the fat content you are looking for.  I also agree with MW about searching around a little for some info.  Once you have read some of these other threads you may have some other specific questions about your first one[:D].  Have fun.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Bassman

I have never used foil in the Bradley and don't have a problem with stuff drying out.The Bradley seals in moisture pretty well.

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

gotbbq

Heavy-

I have never used foil with the bradley, always tender and juicy. The ftc thing is really important to keep it tender and juicy.[^][^][^] I have used foil in my big rig, that seems to be ok.

gotbbq

JJC

Hi Heavy,

Great advice from everyone here!  Welcome to the Forum--where do you hail from?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Heavy</i>
<br />What will happen if I use foil in my Bradley Smoker?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">You will be instantly transported through the Wormhole of Ishtar to the parallel universe <b>Rekoms</b>. There, you will be forced to cook taem, hsif & emag for eternity![:D][:D]

I obviously have nothing to add to the good advice you have gotten above![8D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br />Hi Heavy,

Great advice from everyone here!  Welcome to the Forum--where do you hail from?

John
Newton MA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Amen!

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

eightball

Mallard, Big Smoke , SMokinMoe, nsxbill, JJC Anyone HELP
I just bought my 10# IBF Brisket point and all.My question is once i get to 185^ How long do I leave it there before I FTC it and will it hurt to go to lets say 190? Also and excuse me for being so inquisitive, if it is too long for the BS Do I trim at the Flat end?
Mallard , Ya think the next time Arkansas and LSU play we can smoke some referees?
Jay[8]

psdubl07

Heavy, let me offer a bit of a different opinion.

Do you have to use foil?  No.  Can foil be useful?  Yes.

The last couple times I have done ribs or brisket, I foil-wrap the meat after the smoke portion is complete.  This is usually the 4-hour mark at which time I am opening the Bradley to change the water out anyway.
After I have the meat foil-wrapped, it goes back in the smoker and I kick up the temp to the 250 range or even a bit higher.  What happens is the foil holds in much of the moisture that is otherwise lost.  As previously stated, the Bradley does a good job of keeping things moist, but you will retain more moisture with the foil-wrapping.  Many competition veterans and restaurants actually will wrap the meat in saran, then foil, thereby holding in even more moisture.  I have not tried the saran yet, but will at some point.  While not the intention, an added benefit is that the magical process of a tough cut of meat turning tender happens a bit quicker.
This foil-wrapped "post-smoke" cooking could also be done in an oven.  Some members probably look down on this method, but you will find many posts regarding putting something under the broiler at the end of a smoke to crisp up bacon, or throwing ribs on the grill to glaze up the finish etc...this is no different.

Read Olds' post here (last post in the thread at the time I'm writing this) which talks about passive cooking:
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1560&whichpage=2

While having it in foil while cooking is not necessarily passive, it is performing the same process as FTC, and what you will find is that you don't have to FTC after it's done.

I haven't seen where it says specifically not to use foil in the Bradley, and I'm not sure what the reasoning would be, but I have not had a problem with it.

Just wanted to give you another perspective from my experience and happy trials w/ my Bradley.  Hope this helps.

MallardWacker

EightB,

I pulled my last brisket at 178 and came out perfect.  I FTC for about 2-4 hrs if I remember correctly.  But I you have a whole brisket, meaning a flat and a point.  I have done a complete and a flat.  I do like the flat by itself better. For two resons, one is the size and second the legnth of time.  Plus to me the point is too fatty for me.  

To me it is not hard to trim the point off.  Like BigSmokers says put the point on the top rack and let drip down.  When you trim the point, if you take your time you will see the seperation in the fat and the direction of the grain, just take your time if you decide to do this(personally I would) but to each their own.

Also about internal temps: before you FTC reachig temps over 185 will give you a "Pot Roast" fall apart type brisket.  (this is my opinion and many will be different than mine).  I like my brisket where you can slice it and not completely fall apart but still tender enough that you can cut it with your fork.  To me I would shoot for the low 180's and pull as soon as it gets to that the FTC for at least two hrs.  HTH

One other thing----KEEP THAT STINK'N DOOR SHUT!

Ya about that them there Refs.  I will guaaaanteee you they have been smoked over several hundred times in one form or fashion.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Phone Guy

It's always good to use bacon either on the top rack or better yet, right on top of the brisket. I found that I like the "bark" better if the bacon is laid directly on the brisket. You could always wrap in foil and finish in the regular oven.

Just my $.02

eightball

Thanks Guys, I will attempt another this weekend and give a full report Sunday or Monday.ourse that depends on how much I eat personally and as to whether or not I have to serve as the designated decoy for the others.
JW[8]