Turkey questions

Started by car54, November 17, 2009, 03:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

car54

I am going to brine a fresh turkey, smoke and then finish it in the Big Easy for Thanksgiving.

What our your opinions on how long to smoke it and what type of wood to use?

Thanks, Brad

FLBentRider

I've used Hickory, Cherry, Apple and Maple.

I liked the Hickory the best.

I use 4 hours of smoke.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ka Honu

I think the common knowledge is to smoke to an IT of about 125o and then move to TBE for finishing (at least that's the way I do it and I'm pretty common).

Son of a Sailor

what temp would you recommend for finishing in TBE . . . 350?

Quarlow

The TBE only cooks at 2 temps. It's either on or off. If you meant the IT of the bird you would want it to be165f.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Son of a Sailor

Quarlow

Someone may correct me if I'm wrong, but that is the finished temp. You would probably pull it out at 155f or 160f as I think they say it will continue to raise in temp by 5 to 10 degrees.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Savannahsmoker

I have to agree Quarlow with the temp to pull it except my family likes done a little more.  So I do have to cook to the doneness the family likes.  I pull when the breast internal temp is 170 degrees and meaty inner part of the thigh is 180 or more and juices run clear.

Savannahsmoker

Here is one I did a couple of weeks ago car54.  I used cherry wood.  I am sorry but this is done in a Traeger and not a Bradley.  By the way, thinking I need to get a Bradley for sausage smoking.  Any way here it is.
I brine first.

Next smoke in the Traeger at 225 degrees until an internal temp of 130 or so is reached.  This takes about three and a half hours for a 12 lb bird.

Next finish in The Big Easy to crisp up the skin.

Done

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Savannahsmoker on November 20, 2009, 02:49:48 PM
I have to agree Quarlow with the temp to pull it except my family likes done a little more.  So I do have to cook to the doneness the family likes.  I pull when the breast internal temp is 170 degrees and meaty inner part of the thigh is 180 or more and juices run clear.

I will have to agree with SS on this one. 165 is good and then add whatever you you prefer

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Ka Honu

Savannahsmoker

Thank You Ka Honu and I need some info about Bradley smokers.

gordo13

gordo13

Does anyone know if you can use your brine more then once?
I just smoked two breast and I want to know if I can keep  the brine in the fridge and use it again in a couple of days?

Thanks
Gordo

Tenpoint5

Quote from: gordo13 on November 20, 2009, 11:04:11 PM
Does anyone know if you can use your brine more then once?
I just smoked two breast and I want to know if I can keep  the brine in the fridge and use it again in a couple of days?

Thanks
Gordo
Gordo,
PITCH IT and start over. The brine has lost some of its strength and who knows what bacteria is swimming in it now. It is just safer to start with a new batch.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!