Beer can chicken - myth?

Started by ArnieM, November 17, 2009, 11:09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

This is a link posted by Lostarrow on the Big Easy forum.  Some interesting reading.  Purely FYI.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/beercanchicken
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Savannahsmoker

And this is what I posted.
I like beer can chicken and myself and many of the noted listed below do also.

Betty Crocker: "This method of grilling produces tender, succulent grilled chicken. The meat gets steamed from the inside, keeping it moist and juicy, but the skin stays crispy.

Guy Fieri Food Network Chef:  "I have been making beer can chicken for about two years now,.always on the BBQ and you will never find a more moist and flavorful chicken."

Chef from from The Kitchens of The Food Channel:  "Flavorful and moist, chicken on the can gets its roasted look and taste from grilling over a can of beer. 

The Cooking Nook:   "Chicken and beer may sound like an odd combination but because the chicken sits on top of the beer can, the moisture from the beer below makes the chicken moist and
succulent ever time."

Burke's Backyard Factsheet:   "A can of beer ensures that this barbecued chicken is moist both inside and out."

BBQ Junkie:   "What's better than beer can chicken? Three beer can chickens, duh. The most amazing thing about beer can chicken is that it's not a novelty; the chicken actually comes out quite delicious."

McCormick's:  "This beautifully browned chicken looks like it just came off the rotisserie. A perfectly seasoned, moist, tender chicken awaits you and your family."
You can find many more.

ArnieM

Sav, I saw your reply on the BE board.  I'm not here to argue.  I thought the article was interesting and posted it as an FYI.  I've been doing beer can chicken for years without a complaint.  I don't know if it works or not but the chicken comes out good.  I've done mine on the grill or a hot oven, not in the smoker.  That might help to get the beer/liquid up to temp.  I dunno.

I appreciate your list of references.  Especially 'out of the can' Betty Crocker.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

I too have done a bunch of birds over various flavors of can drinks and have always been happy with the results.

Maybe it was the fact that everyone said it taste good so I anticipated it to taste good. Maybe now the next time I do it, it won't taste so moist.

I don't think I like that guy, sorta like the kid that told me there was no Santa. I won't ever tell anyone what I read, I'll just let them go thru life thinking that beer can chicken is moister than any other.

I have to think that the carbonation being released carried some flavor with it.

Gizmo

I also like the way Beer Can Chicken turns out but don't really do much in flavoring the beer as I have not noticed it in the past as well.  It was a good read but feel the author left themselves open for a whole lot of controversy over their ability to taste.  I am sorry but if you can't tell the difference between a chicken that was grilled over one that was boiled, even an unseasoned grilled vs. a heavily seasoned boiled, then I am afraid you are not qualified to be a taste tester to begin with.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Savannahsmoker

I would never try to smoke a beer can chicken because the temp is to low.  On the grill at 350 or 400 degrees or The Big Easy with a temp above 450 degrees I do get moisture out of a beer can.  Never tasted much flavor though.