Hi from Belgium!

Started by Ion, November 17, 2009, 01:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hopefull Romantic

HI Wim and welcome to the forum.

I am in Jordan and have owned my Bradley for about 4 months but have been smoking for some time using charcoal smokers. This forum and the people in it have helped me alot whether it was the decision which what to buy or with their inovative recipes and great advice.

I have the DBS 6 rack and do have the PID because I do alot of salmon and you will need the PID when you do salmon. It not only controls the temp better but it also has the ability to ramp the temperature. I clicked on the link you posted but that leads to the page of all their PID, I would recommend theis like which shows what most of us have:
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=72&zenid=7bc32963c633f99a650be31f7836f0c4

I would also recommend that you check out the Maverick ET 73 wireless duel probe that would gives you a better reading of your smoker temperature as well as the internal temperature of whatever you are cooking.

Again welcome aboard and do hesitate to ask any question.

Hady
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Caneyscud

Naw, he needs to do chocolate covered bacon - I'm visioning a tuxedo dip! 

Welcome to the foum Wim!  Can't wait to see some of the product you produce from your Bradley.  And if you can combine it with chocolate - so much the better.  We can satisfy the carnivore in us while bathing in the endorphins! 

Congratulation on your Chocolatiere - that could not have been easy!  I love working chocolate, but stopped a few years ago.  But I do still use some rubs that have cocoa in them, and chocolate does find it's way into my chili sometimes. 

Belgium.  I avoid it as much as possible.  Every time I've gone through (2 times) I have ended up buying a diamond under duress! - well not really duress!  I love my wife!  and that's my story and I'm sticking to it!  That's what she told me to say this morning when I was going out the door to put out the trash to the curb.   
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Ion

Hello all,

I keep on being surprised on how friendly and helpful everybody is here (that's actually quite sad to say :-)) and how much I've learned already.

@Hady: Thanks a lot for this info. Does this mean this model is plug 'n play, cause I can get a bit intimidated by wires and electricity ;-) Smoking salmon will be an important part of smoking, so I guess it's worth the investment. Can't wait, water is coming into my mouth thinking of it mmm.

@Caneyscud: Do you have an education in chocolate making, or did you do it as a hobby? Why did you stop?

Cheers, Wim.

KyNola

I'm a little late to the party but wanted to say welcome Ion.  As you have already found, there are a bunch of very helpful and friendly folks here.

I like to eat chocolate.  Do I get any credit for that? 

CS, I'm liking the thought of the chocolate dipped fried bacon.  I actually saw that on the Food Network and nearly passed out.  What a great combination of my two favorite food groups!

KyNola

Caneyscud

Just a hobby - furnishing family and friends with chocolate goodies.  Mainly homemade chocolate candies, bourbon balls, different types of fudges, Sachertorte, chocolate covered walnuts. flourless chocolated cakes, truffles, fudge icing cakes (Texas sheet cake), chocolate covered divinity, chocolate dipped peanut brittle, peanut butter cups, fried chocolate pies, dipped strawberries, candy bars, turtles, toffee, chocolate dipped marshmallows, Fudge sauce, dip an oreo in chocolate and then roll in either peanut butter chips or butterscotch chips, wine poached pears tuxedo dipped, chocolate dipped dates (don't go there ;D), real chocolate pudding, chocolate dipped baklava.......

Why I quit?  Diabetes,  If I can't eat much, why fix it!

Ion

Cool, looks like you know what you're talking about ;-) Must be hard to have such a 'repertoire' of chocolate abilities and not be able to use them a lot for yourself. Anyway, I think you find some comfort in smoking ;-) Myself, I make more the chocolate-only things (so not cakes etc) like parlines (bonbons), chocolate seashells, hollow figures, all kinds of truffles and some confectionery like 'pates de fruits', marshmallows, rock candy,...
I know this is a smoking forum, but if anyone would like some chocolate help you can always contact me ;-)

Back to the smoking... can someone tell me if there are any considerable differences between the normal BS and the stainless steel one? I've read they are exactly the same, only the material in wich it is made is different. Is it only the 'looks' that is different, or is it better to have a stainless steel BS for outdoors use (it rains A LOT here in Belgium, and I would not like to let my BS rust because of the humidity).

Thanks, have a good day all, Wim.

Wildcat

They are the same. I purchased the stainless in 2006 and it still looks good. I do keep it indoors when not in use. I just like the stainless look.

Since you offered, I have been searching for fudge like my grandmother used to make many years ago. At one time you could find it commercially, but not anymore. I may have to break down and try to make it myself and I could use a recipe. The type I am looking for is somewhat grainy in texture (not smooth like everyone has today). This type of fudge can be broken into chunks by hand. Not dry but not so mushey and sticky as the creamy fudge. I suspect it is a simple concoction. I have been told by commercial candy makers that to obtain that type of fudge commercially would be cost prohibitive because of the procedure involved. Probably because everyone is set up for super creamy fudge.

I know nothing about candy making, but I can usually follow directions (as long as my wife reads them  ;D).
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Ion

Thanks for the info concerning the stainless steel BS.

Fudge is not always for the fainthearted to make ;-)
No, it's not that hard to make, but it takes a little practice.
Actually the grainy fudge is the real one, it's made from a fluid (milk, cream, condensed milk), sugar and additions like butter, vanilla, chocolate,...
The trick is to combine fluid and sugar and cook it until the mix is oversaturated with sugar. When you stir and cool it part of the sugar (the excess sugar) will crystallize and make the fudge solid.
The commercial "fudges" now are really no real fudge. They exist of sugar and hardened vegetable fat. The fat gives the fudge its smoothness and solid shape. They taste oke, but they're not real fudge ;-)
If you are intrested in making all sorts of fudge, I can recommend the book "Oh, Fudge" by Lee Edwards Benning. It has a good recipe to start with "Bread & Butter Fudge". It's a no nonsense basic recipe. The book is sold on Amazon and they offer a 'Look Inside' in case you'd be intrested ;-)
If you should need more info I should take some time and dig into my book collection.

Cheers, Wim. 

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Ion on November 18, 2009, 08:26:42 AM
Hello all,

@Hady: Thanks a lot for this info. Does this mean this model is plug 'n play, cause I can get a bit intimidated by wires and electricity ;-) Smoking salmon will be an important part of smoking, so I guess it's worth the investment. Can't wait, water is coming into my mouth thinking of it mmm.
Cheers, Wim.

Win yes that is exactely what it means and it is very easy to connect and it does come with a color coded diagram for wirring.

I am addicted to Chocolate, I mean really I get the jitters when my body needs it.

Hady
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Caneyscud

Quote from: Wildcat on November 19, 2009, 05:13:54 AM
They are the same. I purchased the stainless in 2006 and it still looks good. I do keep it indoors when not in use. I just like the stainless look.

Since you offered, I have been searching for fudge like my grandmother used to make many years ago. At one time you could find it commercially, but not anymore. I may have to break down and try to make it myself and I could use a recipe. The type I am looking for is somewhat grainy in texture (not smooth like everyone has today). This type of fudge can be broken into chunks by hand. Not dry but not so mushey and sticky as the creamy fudge. I suspect it is a simple concoction. I have been told by commercial candy makers that to obtain that type of fudge commercially would be cost prohibitive because of the procedure involved. Probably because everyone is set up for super creamy fudge.

I know nothing about candy making, but I can usually follow directions (as long as my wife reads them  ;D).
What Ion said is straight on!  Never noticed that fudge book - gotta get my hands on it.  The "grainy" stuff I love and is what I used to make.  I'll look around for my recipe this weekend - it was my mom's and I used to down a half a pan of it at a time.  Ahh those were the times - baseball, football, pep rallies, Friday Night Lights, Mom, and fudge!   And at times she would double down.  She'd take that fudge recipe make some mods (adding more butter if I remember right) and add lots of chopped pecans on it and spread it out on a very moist very chocolatey sheet cake.  Take a piece of that warm and top it with a half gallon of vanilla ice cream - heaven on a plate!

Ion

I have just a batch of this fudge, to test and share ;-)
Seems like a fine recipe, only I would suggest taking half the amount of butter, the recipe worked, but I had to pour off some excess fat.
Also stirring in a tablespoon or two of powdered sugar helps fudge to crystallize (when your batch is cold).
If you want a réal good book on all kinds of confections "Chocolates and Confections: Formula, Theory, and Technique for the Artisan Confectioner by Peter Grewelling" is worth the investment.
I've seen Peter will release a 'home' version as well: "Chocolates and Confections at Home with The Culinary Institute of America".

QuoteWin yes that is exactely what it means and it is very easy to connect and it does come with a color coded diagram for wirring.
As long as it's foolproof... :-) So I don't have to change anything to the BS that can void waranty, or do I?

Thanks! Wim.

Wildcat

Thanks Ion and Caneyscud. My wife is a diet controlled diabetic with other medical complications and can partake of very little in the sweet section. Heck if she eats a small desert and then kisses me it puts her right over the top!  ;D

Seriously, I love chocolate but fudge is what I crave. Most people think I am crazy when I describe what I am looking for. I will not be getting into making much more than I can consume, so I will not be making it often. Once I find a good basic recipe, I will probably not experiment much beyond that as all these pork butts, etc. has already caused me to gain about 30 pounds since I quit smoking about 6 months ago. Probably too much grazing to fill the void.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Quarlow

Hello Wim and welcome to the forum. This is a friendly place for sure. I do a lot of smoked salmon and I have an OBS. I don't have a PID yet but when I get one it will be the plug and play one from Auber, that is the way to go for salmon. Here is a pic of my last batch,

50 lbs of Chum salmon. I had to borrow my brothers smoker to, but you can get about 30 lbs in the OBS. The PID will make it so easy to do as now I have to keep a close eye on the temps, I have gotten pretty good at setting the temps but you have to change the temp every hour so with the PId you just program the temp ramps right in and forget it.
Here is me and my buddy catching the next batch

All the rest of the people you see are the gongshow that comes with fishing in the lower mainland of B.C.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Ion

WOW, water's coming into,my mouth, those salmons look sooo good!
Thanks for the pics! How come some are darker in color than others?
Wim.

Quarlow

Well I did have one Coho in the mix, but more likely I didn't move the racks around enough.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.