Hi from Belgium!

Started by Ion, November 17, 2009, 01:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ion

Hi folks!
I would like o say hello to all and introduce myself.
My name's Wim, I'm 25 and live in Belgium. I'm a photographer, but I have a love for cooking (have a chocolatier degree) and would like to take my smoking skills to the next level :-)
I had bought myself a cheap water smoker, wich is good for what is it, but I'd like to take things a bit further.
That's it for now, I hope I will learn a lot here and in time share my own experiences.

Cheers! Wim.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Ion!

If you are ready to move up from the water smoker, you have found the right place.

I used to have a smoker like that.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.  We like pictures, especially those involving food. Click on the link at the bottom of my post to visit the recipe site.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

ArnieM

Hi Wim and welcome to the forum.  If you have any questions, ask.  This forum is very active and has a bunch of very experienced people.

Hmmm.  Chocolate coated turkey?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

aces-n-eights

Welcome to the group, Wim! 
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

Ion

Hey all,

Thanks for the warm welcomes! It really like the friendly feeling on this forum.

About the smoking, I am thinking about a 4 rack model, but I'm doubting between de digital and the regular.
Is there anything a newbie should know for making this decision?

Cheers, Wim.

FLBentRider

In My Humble Opinion:

If you are going to be smoking fish or making your own sausage - items where tight temperature control is desired - get an OBS (Original Bradley Smoker) and then add a temperature control device called a PID.

If those items are not on your list, then the temperature control of the Bradley Digital smoker is just fine.

I have an OBS/PID
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

I agree with FLBR on the philosophy.  If you are going to do pork, beef and chicken, You are the temperature controller.  All of these are very forgiving on temperature.

The Original Bradley Smoker (OBS) simply has a slide that regulates the voltage to the heating element.  There is no thermostat like you would have in an oven.  It's more like a dimmer control on a light.  That's what I currently use.

Also, as FLBR said, if you're going to need precise and/or staged temp control the Auburn PID is the way to go.  It's programmable for time and temp. 

Some have said to get the OBS and the PID instead of getting the Bradley digital because the temp control is more accurate.  I have no personal experience in that area and so can't confirm or deny.

I'm sure that whichever smoker you get that you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it.  I have.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

JoeHifi

Welcome Wim.
Hmmm.  Chocolate coated turkey?

Chocolate coated ham...

squirtthecat

Quote from: JoeHifi on November 17, 2009, 04:42:42 PM
Welcome Wim.
Hmmm.  Chocolate coated turkey?

Chocolate coated ham...

I've got some bacon flavored chocolate...  No, really..

Welcome Wim!    My wife and her mom were in Brussels a few years ago..  They raved about the seafood (surprising??), and the fried potato frites w/ mayonnaise.

I guess you could try smoking some of those?

pensrock

Welcome, its been a while since I have been to Belgium. I installed some equipment in a plant for what used to be Monroe Shock Absorbers but is now called Tenneco. I can't remember the name of the town right now, but really enjoyed my stay there.

hal4uk

Hi Ion!

I've had a lot of water smokers (I think most people here have had - or do have one)...
You can make great Q with a "bullet" like that...

But it takes a lot of patience/work/tending...
Some folks find that to be the "charm" of the experience, but I think most here care more about "finished product"...
Why do (lots of) work that you can avoid?

Even worse (and we all know this feeling)...
Say you've been diligently tending your smoker fire/temp for hours and hours already...
Then you get distracted for some reason, and, whooops...  messed that batch up.
Leaves you kinda PO'd...

In other words...  Instead of posting in the forum, you could write us all postal letters... but why???

Thus, the (good) recommedations for the OBS with PID, etc...
It ain't like you can't pretend you were "slaving over the pit" all day..
Uhhh..  That's what we do ;-)
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KevinG

Welcome Wim, only thing I know about Belgium is I like the waffles.  :D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Ion

Hey guys,

I would like to smoke fish, so I guess the extra temp control is desired...?
Until now I have been eating store bought (hot and cold) smoked salmon, wich is good, but I bet we (well at least you for the moment ;-)) can do better. Smoked salmon is one of my favorites, so I'd really like to smoke that!

Hmmm smoking chocolate, it would be worth a try :-)
Since here in Belgiums some chocolatiers go coocoo and make chocolates with cheese and beer or sniff cocoa powder, I might actually have a shot with smoked chocolate ;-) (and maybe it's good after all :-))

I've been wondering around on the forum, and I suppose it's these temp controllers most people use here: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=7bc32963c633f99a650be31f7836f0c4

Seems like I'll have some searching to do about models and wiring :-)

Cheers and thx again guys for the help.
Wim.

JoeHifi