• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

For my Birthday...I'm getting...

Started by KCTR, November 20, 2009, 08:30:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCTR

In 5 days (and counting!) I'm getting an Original Bradley smoker.  I only know this because I'm a snooper and found out that's what my wife's getting me for my Birthday.  I've only been asking for it for 2 years now, so I guess it's about time! 
I've been reading the posts for 2 years now and dreaming of my smoker but I want to be prepared when it comes. 
The following is a list of things I know I need to purchase, but didn't know if anybody could let me know if I'm forgetting something.   Any suggestions on "necessary" items to help me make a great feast would be GREAT!
1.   2 – Foil wrapped brick (I'm just assuming plain old red bricks will do the trick).
2.   A thermometer – don't know what kind is best or where to get it. 
3.   Pucks – I've seen a lot online, eBay and what not.  Any suggestions on the best place to buy them?
4.   Bubba pucks – I've read about them, but haven't found any place that has them yet.
5.   ANYTHING ELSE YOU CAN THING OF???

Thanks so much for everyone's great posts, they've teach me a lot and I don't even have my smoker yet!  Hopefully I don't get a set of golf clubs or this will be all for not!
Thanks again!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum KCTR!

Lets see here..

1. Yes

2. I use a Maverick ET-73 and so do quite a few others here.

3. Ebay has a but three get a fourth free deal - I don't have the link. I get mine from Yardandpool.com

4. Yardandpool.com, ebay, smokeandstuff.com

5. Hit temp jerky screens from yardandpool.com - I use them for everything - they keep stuff from sticking to your racks.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome KCTR,

!. Red bricks are fine
2. A Maverick ET 73
3. Amazon or Yard & Pool
4. Yard & Pool of Big JT's http://www.smokeandstuff.com/

And keep that top vent open!!  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

Hopefull Romantic

Welcome to the forum KTCR.

1- You are correct
2- Most of the people here have the Maverick ET - 73 fuel wireless thermometer
3- I buy from Ebay and Amazon has deals on them
4- I believe Yard and pool .com has the bubba pucks

Since you are getting the OBS, I would also consider the Auber PID. It gives you a better control over the temp and allows temp ramping.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Hopefull Romantic

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: FLBentRider on November 20, 2009, 08:40:08 AM

Lets see here..

1. Yes

3. Ebay has a but three get a fourth free deal - I don't have the link. I get mine from Yardandpool.com

5. Hit temp jerky screens from yardandpool.com - I use them for everything - they keep stuff from sticking to your racks.

Quote from: FLBentRider on November 20, 2009, 08:40:08 AM

Lets see here..

1. Yes

I think FLBR and HR are both correct.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

watchdog56

You might need a bigger refrigerator to store all of your food.LOL I would suggest a cold smoke setup so you can do cheese. I use a plain old box with a dryer vent taped to it. It works great and a lot cheaper than buying one. Once you get the taste of the cheese you will want more guaranteed!!

KevinG

Welcome KCTR, I'd respond, but it would only sound like an echo in here. ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

KC, welcome and glad to have you among the smoked.

You can order pucks from Walmart and have shipped site to store for free.

Buy several cans of spray oil for pre-spraying your v tray and racks for easy clean up.

Make sure you season your Bradley.

You can download the manual or view it on Bradley home page, that way if you have any
questions they can be answer before your smoker gets here.

Our payment for helping you is pics of your smokes
Try this link to get your pictures going.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11

Here is a link to some reference books

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102

Link to the recipe site

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/

Link to FAQ

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=481

Any more questions just ask and remember we all started just like you and someone helped us.

Good Smokin and Happy Birthday.

KCTR

WOW!  You guys are awesome!  Thanks for the great advice.  As soon as I get it unpacked I'll be posted pictures of my first adventure!  Thanks again and have a great weekend!!!

Quarlow

Heh he'll be like a kid at christmas when that present arrives. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

outdoorsfellar

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 20, 2009, 10:28:02 AM

Buy several cans of spray oil for pre-spraying your v tray and racks for easy clean up.

That's the first time I've seen that mentioned on here. It certainly makes sense & I don't know why a goober such as myself didn't think of that before hand.  Thanks !

classicrockgriller

Quote from: outdoorsfellar on November 21, 2009, 06:44:27 AM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 20, 2009, 10:28:02 AM

That's the first time I've seen that mentioned on here. It certainly makes sense & I don't know why a goober such as myself didn't think of that before hand.  Thanks !

Just make sure and spray "before" you place it in the Bradley with the element turned on. We want to keep you around. ;D

NePaSmoKer

Here is what you will need.

1. You already have a great wife.
2. You need to invite me over to eat and smoke
3. You need to invite me over to eat and smoke
4. You need to invite me over to eat and smoke
5. And have a great birthday  ;D with your family.

nepas