• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Brined, smoked chicken on the rotisserie

Started by seemore, November 20, 2009, 02:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seemore

I have to say up front that I did not use the Bradley for the smoke.  I used our grill.  I used apple wood and it was really good!  The brine is from the Tried & True Recipes - from wms.
The brine is 1 cup Kosher salt, 1 cup brown sugar, and 4 quarts water.
After brining, I rinsed the chicken and covered it with olive oil, paprika, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
I then skewered the bird and put it on the grill.

I had a pan of apple cider underneath the bird while it cooked.
The cook took about 3 hours. 

The skin was not as good as I wanted it to be - not crackly enough - but the flavor of this chicken was great!
seemore

Hopefull Romantic

Seemore, the recipe sounds good but for some strange reason, I can not see any pix.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

seemore

The pictures have been restored!!!!  You can view them now, in all their glory!!!
So sorry - I thought I could delete the pictures off of photobucket - guess I found out that you can't!   :-[
Live and learn, eh?

Hopefull Romantic

Hey seemore do you remember the old AT&T commercial of"reach out and touch some one".

Well I just could reach and take a bite out that bird. It looks great.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Savannahsmoker

squirtthecat

ArnieM

That's a fine looking bird June. 

I don't have a rotisserie for my grill.  I use a Ronco counter top electric unit.  I've cooked chicken every which way and I swear the rotisserie chicken is the best (maybe tied with my southern fried).  I think the even heating from all sides, along with dripping out excess fat really does the trick.  Love it.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Savannahsmoker

I do like how we can see the juice in that last pic.

Tenpoint5

Not Bad for a beginner Scott!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Looks good even better than you explained it on the phone.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Pachanga

Seemore,

Nice bird and good truss job.  This looks a lot like my rotisserie setup but my trussing is much more complicated and I still get wings trying to flop around and dance (the funky chicken dance got its name from one of my birds).

Did you sauce the bird or is that the natural smoking color?  For a crispy skin, I remove the liquid pan for the last few minutes but I keep a watchful eye on the little jewel.

I appreciate the post.  Rotisserie chicken is always so moist and I can see that yours is perfect.

Good luck and tie one on,

Pachanga  

seemore

Thanks for all the compliments and advice!!!  Arnie, we also have a Ronco.  That works wonders too, especially when the winter temps can play such havoc on your grilling time.
Pachanga, I lucked out this time with the bird - usually the little wings are doing the funky chicken dance too.
I had Mrs tie the bird up this time.  Perhaps I don't ever want to make her too mad at me......I might end up skewered and rotating over some hot coals.   :o
We did put some olive oil and seasonings on the bird prior to cooking.  Usually the skin turns out great;  for some reason this time it just did not have it.  I will remove the pan next time to ensure the crackling goes on.

squirtthecat

I have that same Ronco in the attic....   Hmmm... maybe brined cold smoked Cornish hens finished in the Ronco??

Again, good looking bird...

KevinG

I've got the Ronco too, do you all have the same problem as me. My chicken takes forever to get the IT safe and it ends up burning the skin?
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Savannahsmoker

Does everybody have or had a Ronco.  We had one for about year, give to my son, he gave it to Goodwill.

ArnieM

Quote from: KevinG on November 21, 2009, 07:03:41 AM
I've got the Ronco too, do you all have the same problem as me. My chicken takes forever to get the IT safe and it ends up burning the skin?

We use ours maybe 3 times a year.  It works amazingly well.  It came with a cooking time guide.  Set the mechanical timer for the time and the chicken is done at the end.  Then, let it continue to rotate, no heat for a rest.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.