Advice appreciated

Started by srs, November 22, 2009, 10:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srs

Rookie here.  Did a 11 lb smoked brisket and smoked baked beans on my weber gas grill.  OK so recipe was for 16 and we ate it all week.  Anyway, I'm hooked but I don't think the gas grill will do the job.   I'm sold on Bradley, partially because of favorable reviews, partially b/c of price and partially the friendly and helpful nature of this forum.
OK, that said, which one do i purchase?  I'm confused about digital and after-market add ons.  I want quality & value of course.  All wisdom appreciated!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum srs!

I have an OBS (Original Bradley smoker). Temperature control is via an analog slider control.

For smoking pork butts, briskets, etc... it is not that hard to master. It can be a learning curve.

For smoking fish and sausages, tighter temperature control is needed.

The digital ( I speak based on the experience of others) temp control is better, since you can set a specific temp.

However, there are temperature swings that may affect fish and sausages.

An Add-on called a PID offers much tighter temperature control. I have such a device on my OBS. It is a "set and forget" device.

So I guess the summary answer is "It depends"

On what you are going to smoke and how you are going to use the smoker.

I used my OBS to turn out some good BBQ long before I bought the PID.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Quarlow

The OBS is completely capable of doing anything you want as is the DBS. If you are going to do sausage or smoked salmon, in my opinion the OBS with a PID is the best way to go, but this is serious smoking. If you are going to smoke everything under the sun you will be very happy with the DBS........... You know it is real hard to even say what I have cause,,, really you can't go wrong either way. It does come down to what your experience is, what you will smoke mostly, what you want to spend. If you want to get in with the OBS to start that is the lowest dollar put out, and then you can add the PID after you are comfortable and can afford it, there is alot of variables. If you could give us somemore info as to your experience and how you think you typically might use it that would be helpful.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Wildcat

I have the OBS and added a PID. To me it was more cost effective in the long run. I wanted the PID because I no longer had to closely monitor the smoker and felt more comfortable going to bed on an over night smoke, or even to go play a round of golf. I can more accurately guess on how long a cook/smoke is going to take because the cabinet temp will be +/- 1 or 2 degrees. So far I have no desire to make my own sausage and have yet to smoke fish in the 3 years I have owned it, so some might think adding the PID is a waste. For me, peace of mind and less monitoring was worth it.

You can also add the PID to the digitals, but that would be higher priced and based on my reads of benefits vs problems with the digitals, I elected the OBS.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

watchdog56

I have the DBS and when I found out the temps would swing +/- up to 15 degrees and when I make sausage I felt I needed a PID so I bought the programmable PID. To me this is probably the most important piece because of tight controls when making sausage. If I would have checked more I probably would have just bought the OBS and put the extra money towards a PID. Also A maverick T-73 thermometer is very helpful.

Quarlow

So I know it is a large nutshell but you can see that although the Bradleys are great and they are enhanced with the PID. I do wish my OBS was a 6 rack but they don't make that, and I am able to use my brothers when he is not using it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

srs

Thank you all for the welcome and the advice.  Despite your best efforts, I'm not sure I understand the difference between a PID and a digital device.  If I can put one (or both?) on an OBS, why not go with that?  Where does one purchase these add-ons and are the easy to install or do I have to modify the smoker?  Lastly, suggestions for seller?
Thank you so much!
Steve

FLBentRider

The digital smoker is less accurate at maintaining temps than an OBS or DBS with a PID.

You can build your own PID if you are electrically skilled, or you can purchase a plug and play model from auber instruments.

http://www.auberins.com/

I have also seen them on ebay.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

srs