Reporting for duty!

Started by Old_Sarge, November 22, 2009, 12:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Welcome Sarge!

Brisket is expensive here (Central, IL) too.  3-4 a pound for the pretty trimmed flats.

KevinG

Quote from: hal4uk on November 22, 2009, 02:50:19 PM
Howdy, Sarge!

Had to Google-Map ya...  I spent some time in Phoenix (in one of my way-back previous lives)...
Might not be a lot to do in Sierra Vista, but I think that's awful nice country out there.

Just thinking out loud...  you might wanna pay extra attention to moisture content...
Seems like the ambient (0% humidity) air flow would have some effect (?)

Might be negligible, but...  I dunno...  KevinG?

Yup, keep some water in the pan unless you want some thick skinned food.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Old_Sarge

Quote from: KevinG on November 22, 2009, 03:23:50 PM
Quote from: hal4uk on November 22, 2009, 02:50:19 PM
Howdy, Sarge!

Had to Google-Map ya...  I spent some time in Phoenix (in one of my way-back previous lives)...
Might not be a lot to do in Sierra Vista, but I think that's awful nice country out there.

Just thinking out loud...  you might wanna pay extra attention to moisture content...
Seems like the ambient (0% humidity) air flow would have some effect (?)

Might be negligible, but...  I dunno...  KevinG?

Yup, keep some water in the pan unless you want some thick skinned food.

Good advice, especially given the humidity here compared to Hawaii. Thanks!

pensrock

Quote from: Old_Sarge on November 22, 2009, 02:09:54 PM
Quote from: pensrock on November 22, 2009, 01:50:47 PM
Sarge, I live in PA and would love to find brisket for only $2,89/lb. I do not understand why but its $3 plus around here. Welcome to the forum. Doing poultry keep the vent wide open. I never close mine below 1/2 for anything.

Wow, that's nuts. So much $$ for what's widely considered a practically throw-away-or-use-for-dog-food cut of beef. Sucks, man!

Could not agree more. Not much I can do about it though. Thats why I only get to do brisket a couple times a year.

FLBentRider

So what are you going to smoke first ?

I wouldn't wait on the PID.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Old_Sarge

Quote from: FLBentRider on November 22, 2009, 04:29:17 PM

Well, whether or not the PID gets here by Wednesday evening, it's gonna be two turkey breasts and a dozen drums for Thanksgiving. I'm using rub and mop recipes from the Jamisons' Smoke and Spice...they've never let me down! I am leaning toward a few skewers of ABTs for a pre-game snack as well.

FLBentRider

Quote from: Old_Sarge on November 22, 2009, 04:36:02 PM
Quote from: FLBentRider on November 22, 2009, 04:29:17 PM

Well, whether or not the PID gets here by Wednesday evening, it's gonna be two turkey breasts and a dozen drums for Thanksgiving. I'm using rub and mop recipes from the Jamisons' Smoke and Spice...they've never let me down! I am leaning toward a few skewers of ABTs for a pre-game snack as well.

Sounds like a winner to me. Don't forget the pictures.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Old_Sarge

Quote from: pensrock on November 22, 2009, 04:12:53 PM
Sarge, I live in PA and would love to find brisket for only $2,89/lb. I do not understand why but its $3 plus around here. Welcome to the forum. Doing poultry keep the vent wide open. I never close mine below 1/2 for anything.

Wow, that's nuts. So much $$ for what's widely considered a practically throw-away-or-use-for-dog-food cut of beef. Sucks, man!

Could not agree more. Not much I can do about it though. Thats why I only get to do brisket a couple times a year.

I'm surprised...I thought it was just a Hawaii thing, since everything that has to be flown in is so expensive.  I've heard some negative things about Arizona beef, but brisket here at our commissary (military grocery store) is about a buck a pound if you buy vac-packed meat in bulk. I asked for a chest freezer for Christmas so I can buy in quantity. Once my wife has had some good Bradley BBQ, I don't think she's gonna give me a lump of coal instead  ;)

Old_Sarge

Quote from: FLBentRider on November 22, 2009, 04:42:27 PM

Sounds like a winner to me. Don't forget the pictures.

I'll commandeer my daughter's digital camera and document for posterity  ;D

BigJohnT

Quote from: Old_Sarge on November 22, 2009, 04:44:23 PM
Quote from: pensrock on November 22, 2009, 04:12:53 PM

I'm surprised...I thought it was just a Hawaii thing, since everything that has to be flown in is so expensive.  I've heard some negative things about Arizona beef, but brisket here at our commissary (military grocery store) is about a buck a pound if you buy vac-packed meat in bulk. I asked for a chest freezer for Christmas so I can buy in quantity. Once my wife has had some good Bradley BBQ, I don't think she's gonna give me a lump of coal instead  ;)

Sarge,

I must say that the recipes you will find here are top notch.  I don't think you will have much of a struggle to convince Mrs. Sarge that this is truly good eats here. Some of my favorites are here

JT

aces-n-eights

Welcome Sarge!  I spent a tour at Schofield in the 80's, and then a tour at Fort Shafter in the 90s - nice to get two tours in Hawaii!

Thanks for your service.

You've joined a good bunch of guys and gals - enjoy your time here; lots of great advice and experience!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

Old_Sarge

Quote from: aces-n-eights on November 22, 2009, 07:15:39 PM
Welcome Sarge!  I spent a tour at Schofield in the 80's, and then a tour at Fort Shafter in the 90s - nice to get two tours in Hawaii!

Thanks for your service.

You've joined a good bunch of guys and gals - enjoy your time here; lots of great advice and experience!

Yeah, I miss Hawaii. Managed to keep my family there for 13 years, though the Army sent me all over the danged place.

My OBS that I ordered on Sunday got here this afternoon. Seasoning it now in preparation for two five-pound turkey breasts and half a dozen turkey legs come Thursday. I'll file a trip report with you folks  ;D

Ka Honu

Quote from: Old_Sarge on November 22, 2009, 02:08:44 PMYou seem to have a good handle on the SV area. You from around these parts, or did you do a tour/school here?

Back in the day (when I still did that "work" thing), some of my programs were funded out of ISC so I had to go to Huachuca a couple of times a year to beg for money or sit through boring conferences.

Old_Sarge

Quote from: Ka Honu on November 24, 2009, 04:47:08 PM
Quote from: Old_Sarge on November 22, 2009, 02:08:44 PMYou seem to have a good handle on the SV area. You from around these parts, or did you do a tour/school here?

Back in the day (when I still did that "work" thing), some of my programs were funded out of ISC so I had to go to Huachuca a couple of times a year to beg for money or sit through boring conferences.

Heh...now I'm one of the guys that releases the money or hosts the boring conferences  ::) sure is different than being a platoon sergeant in a brigade combat team...

False start with the seasoning of the OBS. About three minutes after I plugged it in, all of my external outlets died. My wife's gonna be pissed when she comes home and sees that her Giant Thanksgiving Lighted Inflatables in the front yard are just plastic puddles. No breaker tripped...I will have to call maintenance in the morning.

I ran an industrial extension cord inside to a dedicated drop, now it's going fine.

Ka Honu

Quote from: Old_Sarge on November 24, 2009, 05:29:36 PM... now it's going fine.

Except for the wife part, I presume.  Better be a great smoke if you're going to use it to get out of this one.