Reporting for duty!

Started by Old_Sarge, November 22, 2009, 12:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old_Sarge

Hey all,

Just transferred from Schofield Barracks, Hawaii to Fort Huachuca, Arizona. Left my trusty old Brinkmann Smoke 'n Pit behind with a buddy, and just ordered an OBS via Amazon so I can smoke some turkey breasts and drums come Thursday. They'll go along with the more traditional oven-roasted turkey that my wife insists on come hell or high water  ;) 

I'm particularly stoked to *not* pay $2.89 a pound for beef brisket like we did on the island.

I did a lot of research before I made this purchase, paying particular attention to on-line reviews. What made the Bradley really stick out is this user forum, as I put a lot of stock in brand loyalty and customer satisfaction. I am almost giddy at the prospect of getting my mitts on this smoker come Tuesday.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how well the OBS measures up to my family's generational secret rub and mop recipes, as well as being able to set this device to 'slow 'n low' and being able to go do other things while the meat smokes, instead of hovering over a hot smoker all day worrying about the temperature.

KevinG

Welcome to the forum!

You're right in my back yard. I'm up in Apache junction, I'll be sending you some smoke signals this week Wednesday or Thursday as I smoke my bird.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Old_Sarge!

It looks like you have done your research. There are no dumb questions here.

Keep the vent at least 1/4 open.

Check out our recipe site http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=7cd334351a4f20cde59b9a6b633f6584&f=180

and FAQ section http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=748#post748

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Old_Sarge

FLBentRider

One more thing:

I too had trouble convincing the family that smoking the turkey was the way to go.

So we made two.

Guess which one disappeared first ?

;D ;D

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Old_Sarge

Quote from: FLBentRider on November 22, 2009, 12:59:57 PM
One more thing:

I too had trouble convincing the family that smoking the turkey was the way to go.

So we made two.

Guess which one disappeared first ?

;D ;D

Been there, done that. Now I try to please everyone by doing breasts and drums in the smoker, and the whole bird in the oven in the 'traditional' way. And yeah, the smoked bird always vanishes faster than the roast bird  ;D

Old_Sarge

Okay...I'm surfing the forums now, and as with any close-knit group, there's a bit of jargon that's going over my head. Can somebody tell me what a 'PID' is, the advantages of picking one up, and maybe some recommendations for which one to grab?

Thanks in advance!

FLBentRider

Quote from: Old_Sarge on November 22, 2009, 01:10:48 PM
Okay...I'm surfing the forums now, and as with any close-knit group, there's a bit of jargon that's going over my head. Can somebody tell me what a 'PID' is, the advantages of picking one up, and maybe some recommendations for which one to grab?

Thanks in advance!

Here are some of the definitions  http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=766&postcount=9

A PID offers precise +-1F temperature control.

The programmable ones offer "ramping" - 145F for 30 minutes, then 205F for 20 hours, then 200F for xx minutes... etc.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Ka Honu

Quote from: Old_Sarge on November 22, 2009, 12:53:07 PMI'm particularly stoked to *not* pay $2.89 a pound for beef brisket like we did on the island.

I wouldn't pay that either (although I'd pay a lot not to have to live in Sierra Vista).

Anyway, welcome to the forum and I'm sure you'll love your OBS.

Old_Sarge

Quote from: Ka Honu on November 22, 2009, 01:21:36 PM
Quote from: Old_Sarge on November 22, 2009, 12:53:07 PMI'm particularly stoked to *not* pay $2.89 a pound for beef brisket like we did on the island.

I wouldn't pay that either (although I'd pay a lot not to have to live in Sierra Vista).

Anyway, welcome to the forum and I'm sure you'll love your OBS.

Heh...that was the price @ Schofield commissary. And yeah, we miss da aina a lot. My family lived there 1995-2009 while the military sent me roaming the world. Sierra Vista's an okay place to visit, but...whatever. I'm gonna cheer myself up by cranking out some good Q!  ;D

pensrock

Sarge, I live in PA and would love to find brisket for only $2,89/lb. I do not understand why but its $3 plus around here. Welcome to the forum. Doing poultry keep the vent wide open. I never close mine below 1/2 for anything.

Ka Honu

Quote from: Old_Sarge on November 22, 2009, 01:27:08 PMHeh...that was the price @ Schofield commissary.

I usually shop the "dated & frozen" bin at the Kaneohe commissary.  Brisket for about $1.75 and pork butt/shoulder, etc. around $1.  It's only there when it's there, but I usually manage to have one or two in the freezer when I need to do a smoke.

Anyway, enjoy SV - neat thunderstorms and Bisbee's kinda cool.  The Brite Spot in Palominas used to be a good steak & ribs place but I understand it's been sold - don't know how it is these days.

Old_Sarge

Quote from: Ka Honu on November 22, 2009, 01:53:24 PM
Quote from: Old_Sarge on November 22, 2009, 01:27:08 PMHeh...that was the price @ Schofield commissary.

I usually shop the "dated & frozen" bin at the Kaneohe commissary.  Brisket for about $1.75 and pork butt/shoulder, etc. around $1.  It's only there when it's there, but I usually manage to have one or two in the freezer when I need to do a smoke.

Anyway, enjoy SV - neat thunderstorms and Bisbee's kinda cool.  The Brite Spot in Palominas used to be a good steak & ribs place but I understand it's been sold - don't know how it is these days.

Schofield always had good bulk prices on pork butts/shoulders...about 89 cents/pound if you went big. Vacuum-packed, usually.

You seem to have a good handle on the SV area. You from around these parts, or did you do a tour/school here?

I'll check out the Brite Spot. There isn't a long list of good restaurants around here. Good thing I like to cook.

Old_Sarge

Quote from: pensrock on November 22, 2009, 01:50:47 PM
Sarge, I live in PA and would love to find brisket for only $2,89/lb. I do not understand why but its $3 plus around here. Welcome to the forum. Doing poultry keep the vent wide open. I never close mine below 1/2 for anything.

Wow, that's nuts. So much $$ for what's widely considered a practically throw-away-or-use-for-dog-food cut of beef. Sucks, man!

hal4uk

Howdy, Sarge!

Had to Google-Map ya...  I spent some time in Phoenix (in one of my way-back previous lives)...
Might not be a lot to do in Sierra Vista, but I think that's awful nice country out there.

Just thinking out loud...  you might wanna pay extra attention to moisture content...
Seems like the ambient (0% humidity) air flow would have some effect (?)

Might be negligible, but...  I dunno...  KevinG?
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby