My first turkey ....

Started by outdoorsfellar, November 22, 2009, 03:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsfellar

Just recently, I had mentioned that we were doing Thanksgiving today, since I'll be at work on Thursday & such. My PID arrived yesterday & I played with that while doing some ABT's, so I'd be aquainted with it doing the real deal today. My wife's been after me to do the trash can bird as well, so it was double duty ... I mean, double fun for me. I started off by seasoning both birds with McCormicks poultry & sweet smoky rubs along with garlic pepper after they both have been in the brine tub for the last two days. For the smoker, I used all hickory for 4 hrs & at the end of that time, the IT was 150 right at 4pm just as planned. The smoker temp was just getting up to 210 at that time. So the last hr while the can turkey was cooking was in the oven. The smoker turkey was a 12 lber & the other was 16 lbs. It took the 16 lber 1 hr 30 min as planned. Needless to say, I had smoke all over the place  !  ;D . BOTH birds turned out great ! Everything went as planned THOUGH one odd thing did happen 1/2 way thru with the smoking. I was up in the kitchen & I noticed the temp on the Maverick was dropping. I went out into the garage & there was no smoke coming out & even the PID was down to @ 160. It was programmed correctly, so I turned off everything & even moved the puck a bit & for some oddball reason, all was well then & the heat shot back up.... I dunno. It's just a good thing I went up to check the temp, which I kept doing anyway...lol.  Here's a few pics to show the process ....

I'm not posting a pic of the can turkey because it looks kinda obscene  lol, as it just opens up when cooked this way. I'd say it doesn't even need to be cooked as long as I did, but BELIEVE me when I say both were VERY moist & delicious :):)

FLBentRider

Nice looking bird outdoorsfellar!

You finished the trash can bird in the oven ?

Was that on purpose or did the charcoal not provide enough heat ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

outdoorsfellar

Thanks !   No no.... the trash can turkey didn't go into the oven, no need to. Both pics above are of the smoked bird once out of the smoker, just before & after pics with the oven.  Lol, I think I spent all afternoon on this site while the birds were cooking, looking for my next project .... well that & watching football at the same time  ;D. I do have a rack of ribs in the freezer awaitng the call to duty  ;D

Quarlow

Very nice Outdoorsfella. That looks awesome. I have a chicken in the BE right now with red spuds on metal skewers over the top. Not sure how the spuds will do but I can always microwave them to finish. The next thing for me is smoked salmon.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

Nice job ODF, and glad it turned out good for you. That is odd about the Bradley cooling down. May want to keep an eye on it your next smoke.

Thanks for the pics.