• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Questions on OBS

Started by GusRobin, November 22, 2009, 04:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Thinking of buying an OBS, but had a few questions if someone doesn't mind:

1) Since it is electric, can this be used outdoors when its raining?

2) Can it be left outdoors or do you need to keep it out of the weather when not in use.

3) Are they durable - read mixed reviews

4) Any accessories that are "must have" that need to be procured separately?

5) How much do you use in wood pellets for a 10-12 hour brisket?

Thanks for any info
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Gizmo

I have the digital but here are my responses.'
1. Yes if it is not exposed directly to the rain.  Put up a 8x8 or 10x10 awning and you should be good.  I would not recommend standing in water when using just in case. 

2. Mine has been outdoors for over 3 years.  Use a cover and it will be fine.  I live in San Diego so don't see the harsh winters or rains.  If you live in snow, you should consider bringing in the smoke generator to keep the slider from freezing.

3. I would say yes.  I have had great luck with the Bradley and their customer service is second to none.

4. Briquettes (wood) for the smoke.

5.  NO PELLETS, the wood briquettes each burn for 20 minutes.  You really only need 4 hours of smoke which would be 1 package of 12 briquettes.  The rest of the time is just heat.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum GusRobin !

Gizmo has you covered, I'll add:

Quote from: GusRobin on November 22, 2009, 04:18:37 PM
Thinking of buying an OBS, but had a few questions if someone doesn't mind:

3) Are they durable - read mixed reviews

There have been issues, but all vendors have a failure percentage. More importantly, how is the customer service after the sale ?
Bradley's is top shelf!

Quote from: GusRobin on November 22, 2009, 04:18:37 PM
4) Any accessories that are "must have" that need to be procured separately?

MUST have are the wood bisquettes.

Nice to have:

"spacer" or "bubba" or "JT" pucks. These help push the last pucks off the burner, otherwise there are two wasted pucks on each smoke.

A wireless thermometer for monitoring smoker and food temps - a lot of members here use the Maverick ET-73
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

outdoorsfellar

Quote from: FLBentRider on November 22, 2009, 04:58:59 PM

"spacer" or "bubba" or "JT" pucks. These help push the last pucks off the burner, otherwise there are two wasted pucks on each smoke.

While they eventually do get wasted, I've used the same two pucks over & over. They do get burnt up a bit each time, but there's still enough of them left to get good use out of them. I just make sure to turn off the generator when the actual smoking pucks finish out.

BigJohnT

Quote from: outdoorsfellar on November 22, 2009, 05:10:23 PM
Quote from: FLBentRider on November 22, 2009, 04:58:59 PM

While they eventually do get wasted, I've used the same two pucks over & over. They do get burnt up a bit each time, but there's still enough of them left to get good use out of them. I just make sure to turn off the generator when the actual smoking pucks finish out.

So long as you remember to turn the generator off and your not drinking too much to forget that plan works well with a long fork or something to push the burned up puck off and into the water so you don't get that burnt wood smell.

JT