• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Homemade Boudin

Started by NePaSmoKer, November 24, 2009, 03:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

I also did some Boudin today. 5 pounds. Didnt add liver cuz neither of us really like it.

On this Boudin you dont smoke it because of the milk content. I did however add 1 T of cheater smoke to it  :D

2 cup of whole milk

My homemade mix, 4.5 oz

Mixed into the milk.

2 cups pre cooked rice, cold.

Had a couple of minor blowouts so i had a few small ones for kiki the boudin pup  ;D

Here are some being  simmered. IT to 165*

Cooling.

After they cool i'm going to freeze them so the vac sealer dont squash em  ;D

nepas

ronbeaux

Did I tell you my nickname was Kiki???
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: ronbeaux on November 24, 2009, 03:30:45 PM
Did I tell you my nickname was Kiki???

Come on kiki you need to go out and potti  :D  :D

squirtthecat

That looks neat...  The liver in the recipes turned me off - but I guess you can just leave it out.

Do you have to cook them that way?  Or can you grill/etc.?

ronbeaux

Over and over, it's Miller time, not that I would drink that ;D

I made some a while back but it got smoked and didn't have milk in it. I replaced the liver with wild duck breast. It came out good and still had the little 'liver pop' to it when you ate it.

Can't wait to try some with the OBS.

That's after I con you out of yours first ;D
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

ArnieM

Looks really good nepas.  That looks like a Boudin blanc - maybe with modifications.

From Wiki:

Boudin blanc: A white sausage made of pork without the blood. Pork liver and heart meat are typically included. In Cajun versions, the sausage is made from a pork rice dressing, (much like dirty rice) which is stuffed into pork casings. Rice is always used in Cajun cuisine, whereas the French/Belgian version typically uses milk, and is therefore generally more delicate than the Cajun variety. In French/Belgian cuisine, the sausage is sauteed or grilled. The Louisiana version is normally simmered or braised, although coating with oil and slow grilling for tailgating is becoming a popular option in New Orleans and Baton Rouge.

Sounds like yours tended to the French side.

I have never made home made sausage.  I just have to get some casings and try it out.  My daughter got me a stuffing attachment for the KA mixer and I've never used it.

I'd really appreciate it if you would give a few more details on the ingredients and amounts.  Is that a short grain rice you're using?

Thanks
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Ka Honu

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on November 24, 2009, 03:28:14 PM... My homemade mix, 4.5 oz...

Quote from: ArnieM on November 24, 2009, 04:16:00 PM... Cajun cuisine, whereas the French/Belgian version typically uses milk, and is therefore generally more delicate than the Cajun variety. In French/Belgian cuisine, the sausage is sauteed or grilled. The Louisiana version is normally simmered or braised, although coating with oil and slow grilling for tailgating is becoming a popular option in New Orleans and Baton Rouge...

I'd really appreciate it if you would give a few more details on the ingredients and amounts.

Arnie - First you give him a lecture and then you ask him for one of his "secret receipts?"  You got more guts (casings?) than I do!

pensrock

Rick, can I ask why you cook the sausage then freeze it? Can't you freeze it raw then cook when needed? BTW, it looks great.

ArnieM

Quote from: Ka Honu on November 24, 2009, 04:41:33 PM

Arnie - First you give him a lecture and then you ask him for one of his "secret receipts?"  You got more guts (casings?) than I do!

That wasn't a lecture, just a quote from Wiki.  Hey, I'm tryin' to learn here!
-- Arnie

Ka Honu

"Learning" is good; however in this case, "sucking up" might have been more appropriate.

... and thanks again for your readable font.

ArnieM

Quote from: Ka Honu on November 24, 2009, 08:21:49 PM
"Learning" is good; however in this case, "sucking up" might have been more appropriate.

I thought it was just an innocent question.

... and thanks again for your readable font.

This is just a test KH.  How do you like this one?
-- Arnie

Ka Honu

Quote from: ArnieM on November 24, 2009, 08:42:06 PMThis is just a test KH.  How do you like this one?

Great - gives me an opportunity to sit back a few feet and make sure my wireless keyboard has some decent range.

Quarlow

hey Pens, he freezes it first so the vac sealer won't squish them and deform the sausage.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

pensrock

Quote from: Quarlow on November 24, 2009, 10:39:34 PM
hey Pens, he freezes it first so the vac sealer won't squish them and deform the sausage.
Yes but you can do the same with raw sausage, I'm wondering why he cooks it first if not smoking it.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: pensrock on November 25, 2009, 04:12:40 AM
Quote from: Quarlow on November 24, 2009, 10:39:34 PM
Yes but you can do the same with raw sausage, I'm wondering why he cooks it first if not smoking it.

Greg

You cant smoke this recipe of the Boudin because i use fresh whole milk. Now if you replaced the milk with dry milk you could smoke it.

I simmer them to get them to firm up, then freeze some so the vac machine dont squishe em  :-\

nepas