Pressure.. Pushing down on me... (a quickie 15 bean soup/chili narrative)

Started by squirtthecat, November 24, 2009, 04:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

6:35AM... (and fortunately, no deer on the highway to dislodge the contents)

The smoke in the pork/salt/pepper is really coming out of it now..  I did bring in a bottle of V8 to thin it out a bit, if necessary.   

CRG, I had a quite few tastes last night...  Good stuff!

squirtthecat

Quote from: deb415611 on November 25, 2009, 04:14:56 AM
Quote from: Ka Honu on November 24, 2009, 06:13:57 PM
Quote from: deb415611 on November 24, 2009, 05:42:22 PMgotta love them pressure cookers

Almost makes me wish I wasn't afraid of them (and had room in the kitchen for any more gadgets tools).  Too many horror stories when I was a kid, I guess (and yes, they had pressure cookers in those days but they were the ones with the round tinker toy thingie on top).

Don't fear the pressure cooker KH,  they are our friends now :D  I have used electric and stovetop (old & new) and they are awesome.  Check out the electric ones, like the one squirt is using, they are easy and produce some good food. 

Ditto.  This thing is extremely safe, and easy to use.  You'd need a blow torch to get the lid off when it is under pressure, as it has a series of locking mechanisms to keep the magma inside.

It can also double as a crockpot in 'keep warm' mode.  In fact, that's how I usually heat up my bags of pulled pork/brisket. I put them in the PC w/ hot water and the rice steamer lid..

squirtthecat

Quote from: deb415611 on November 24, 2009, 05:42:22 PM
gotta love them pressure cookers :)

The MIL got me this one for Christmas a few years ago...

I figured it would sit collecting dust, but I use it all the time.  I even ordered an extra insert for it.  The pot comes out and has a tupperware-ish lid that snaps on - so it goes right in the fridge.     What kind do you have?

I had an old stove top one like KH was referring too, but I ended up throwing away the lid and cutting the handle off of it - it's just a big stock pot now..   It was impossible to control the temperature/pressure in that one.

deb415611

Quote from: squirtthecat on November 25, 2009, 05:37:52 AM
Quote from: deb415611 on November 24, 2009, 05:42:22 PM
gotta love them pressure cookers :)

The MIL got me this one for Christmas a few years ago...

I figured it would sit collecting dust, but I use it all the time.  I even ordered an extra insert for it.  The pot comes out and has a tupperware-ish lid that snaps on - so it goes right in the fridge.     What kind do you have?

I had an old stove top one like KH was referring too, but I ended up throwing away the lid and cutting the handle off of it - it's just a big stock pot now..   It was impossible to control the temperature/pressure in that one.

I think it was a Deni,  it died about a year ago and i haven't replaced yet.  I think it's going on the christmas list because I have missed it but I don't think I"ll go with a Deni again.   

squirtthecat

Quote from: deb415611 on November 25, 2009, 06:05:33 AM
I think it was a Deni,  it died about a year ago and i haven't replaced yet.  I think it's going on the christmas list because I have missed it but I don't think I"ll go with a Deni again.   

Mine is a 'Wolfgang Puck' - which means who knows actually made it.   They had them for 99 bucks on Overstock.com for a while..  I should have grabbed another for spare parts.

classicrockgriller

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 25, 2009, 07:20:04 AM
So you can cook a pot of beans in like 30 minutes?

Yep.  It takes a little time to come up to pressure (and safely release pressure), but I was posting those pics in pretty much real time..

The smaller beans cook quicker, but the big kidney beans take the longest, so I split the difference.

classicrockgriller

Might have to check one out.

So what else do you Turbo cook in that thing?

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 25, 2009, 07:36:21 AM
Might have to check one out.

So what else do you Turbo cook in that thing?

Mostly beans, rice, vegetables.

I throw small red potatoes and half a bag of baby carrots in it (w/ some chicken stock) and they turn out great in about 10 minutes or so of pressure.  We do that probably once a week.

They have recipes for "30 minute pot roasts", but it was pretty awful.  Same for the '15 minute ribs'.  Ick.
So, no more beef/pork in the PC.   Although...   I did a corned beef brisket flat in it, and it was actually pretty good.

If I need some cooked chicken in a hurry, I will throw some frozen breasts in it.   They come out Ok, if not a bit albino-ish ugly.

classicrockgriller

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 25, 2009, 07:49:30 AM
thanks for the info squirt .... What time is lunch?

Any time!   People start grazing for breakfast...   I should get a picture of the room - there must be a quarter of a million calories in there.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: squirtthecat on November 25, 2009, 07:51:54 AM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 25, 2009, 07:49:30 AM
thanks for the info squirt .... What time is lunch?

Any time!   People start grazing for breakfast...   I should get a picture of the room - there must be a quarter of a million calories in there.

How many zero's is that?

Bet it smells good.

squirtthecat

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 25, 2009, 07:57:57 AM
Bet it smells good.

It did...   Chili was gone by 1:30. 

Another guy always does a Brisket in his propane powered smoke rig, but it died on him late last night.    He said he's got a killer rub recipe he uses for Brisket, will try to drag it out of him..

hal4uk

"Bribed the cleaning lady"...  Huh?
I know your cleaning lady.

You sure you weren't just throwing money at her while you were beggin' for your life...????
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller