Pressure.. Pushing down on me... (a quickie 15 bean soup/chili narrative)

Started by squirtthecat, November 24, 2009, 04:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Here is my 'quickie' creation for our Potluck luncheon tomorrow...

Trinity/MirepoixQuadrepoix: (yes, I used a blender)

Rinsed/soaking beans:

Into the pressure cooker:

Low sodium beef broth:

Rotel tomatoes, plus two cans of water:

Added a heavy shot of curry and smoked blk pepper (but no salt!) - then lid on, pressure up, let er rip for 18 minutes.

Stay tuned..

squirtthecat

Times up.  Pull plug and let pressure come down naturally..
(and fix some sammies for dinner)

I've got the Trinity/MirepoixQuadrepoix in the crock pot now staying hot.  I added some smoked salt/pepper to it, along with some Garlic/Herb Mrs Dash I picked up at the store.  It is pungent now!

Stay tuned.

[edit]

It doesn't look like it's doing much of anything, but there is some serious noise/smells coming out of these guys..

Ka Honu

So is it Trinity or Mirepoix?  Bell pepper or carrots (looks like carrots but what do I know)?  Or both? (Quadrepoix??)

squirtthecat

Quote from: Ka Honu on November 24, 2009, 04:51:53 PM
So is it Trinity or Mirepoix?  Bell pepper or carrots (looks like carrots but what do I know)?  Or both? (Quadrepoix??)

Carrots/Roasted red bell Pepper/Celery

Hmm..  I guess it is a b*stard hybrid Mirepoix, as I'm adding the onions in separately.
Not sure what the French term for that would be...   Quadrepoix works for now.

Thanks for catching me on that. 

Ka Honu

squirtthecat

Pressure is down, lid off.

Beans are probably 2/3rds cooked by this time:

We'll do a rough (and I mean 'rough') chop of the Quad in Quadrepoix and dump it in.

Don't worry, it will all but disintegrate during the next 7 minutes of pressure.

Lid on, pressure up.  

Stay tuned.

ronbeaux

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Ka Honu on November 24, 2009, 05:06:10 PM
Henceforth to be known as "Squirtthepoix."

I like it...
I'm sure I've managed to anger the Chili purists here, why not the classical trained French chefs and Cajun natives as well!

squirtthecat

7 minutes are up.  Pull the plug and let the pressure come down naturally.  The magma hot liquid level in the PC is scary high at this point, so don't rush things and risk burning yourself (or risk making a catastrophic mess in the kitchen).

Been there, Done that, Bribed the cleaning lady to "make it look like it never happened".

The beans should be all but cooked now...  Will test them in a while, then carefully dump the PC pot into the crock pot and stir in a ton o' pork.

Stay tuned.

deb415611

squirtthecat

Lid off.  Beans are done now. 

I tested a kidney bean and a black bean, and they are "al dente", but that is good enough.

Crock pot mode for a while, then we'll dump it into the big Crock and add the pork.

Stay tuned..

Ka Honu

Quote from: deb415611 on November 24, 2009, 05:42:22 PMgotta love them pressure cookers

Almost makes me wish I wasn't afraid of them (and had room in the kitchen for any more gadgets tools).  Too many horror stories when I was a kid, I guess (and yes, they had pressure cookers in those days but they were the ones with the round tinker toy thingie on top).

squirtthecat

I tried to do this 'in real time', but life got in the way..

Squirtthepoix, standing by:

15 Bean mixture:

Roughly 2 lbs of pulled pork added:

All stirred together, and cooling down on the stove now...

classicrockgriller

deb415611

Quote from: Ka Honu on November 24, 2009, 06:13:57 PM
Quote from: deb415611 on November 24, 2009, 05:42:22 PMgotta love them pressure cookers

Almost makes me wish I wasn't afraid of them (and had room in the kitchen for any more gadgets tools).  Too many horror stories when I was a kid, I guess (and yes, they had pressure cookers in those days but they were the ones with the round tinker toy thingie on top).

Don't fear the pressure cooker KH,  they are our friends now :D  I have used electric and stovetop (old & new) and they are awesome.  Check out the electric ones, like the one squirt is using, they are easy and produce some good food.