• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking my First Butts

Started by Nibby4239, November 24, 2009, 04:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nibby4239

I put in two 7.5 Butts just over an hour ago. I rubbed and wrapped last night. I am smoking for 4 hours with mostly hickory with 3 apple mixed in. In the South, Hickory is king. I am hopeful these will be done in 18 hours with an internal temp of 195-200 deg. I understand that these should be switched  around from upper to lower during the cooking time. It won't be convenient to do until morning. I hope that switching after 12 hours will allow enough time  time for the one started on top to catch up to the other one. When these are switched, which one should have the thermometer probe in it?   ???

ArnieM

Hi Nibby,

15 pounds is a lot of meat.  I'd probably put the probe in the butt that was on the bottom for 12 hours.  You really have to probe both.  When one is coming up to your temp, take it out and FTC it.  Then let the other one catch up and FTC it too.  They can hold for 2-3 hours that way.

What's your cabinet temp?  Hopefully 220-230.  Also note that the IT of butt and brisket tends to stall in the 160's.  It may take an hour to start climbing again.

Nothing wrong with hickory - unless you ask someone from Texas  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Ka Honu

Sounds like a good plan but the real answer to your question is "both."  Ditto what Arnie said - you pretty much need to know the temp in each and can start the FTC on one while the other catches up.

Also, since you're leaving them "unattended" for that long, make sure you have a full water pan before you turn in (or use a bigger container like an aluminum "half tray") to keep plenty of moisture in the system.

Old_Sarge

What does "FTC" mean? It's gonna take me a while to be hip to your jive.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Old_Sarge on November 24, 2009, 05:39:32 PM
What does "FTC" mean? It's gonna take me a while to be hip to your jive.

FTC is Foil, Towel, Cooler. Here's a link to acronyms. Hope it helps and welcome to the forum!  ;D

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=766&postcount=9
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

Nibby, I would raise them as high as I can if you are going to leave them unattended for 12 hrs, ie: top shelf and 3 rd shelf to get them away from the heat strip.
Just my thoughts.

Nibby4239

Thanks guys, I just checked and it was at about 240 deg. and I turned it down. I hope to stabilize at 220 before I turn in.
I will empty WP and refill to brim. I hope that will last 9 hours or so. The IT is 138 deg, which is higher than I expected at 3.5 hrs. in to the smoke.

KyNola

Nibby,
Being a Southern boy myself, I'm loving the hickory!  During the first hours of the smoke, the IT will rise quicker than later in the smoke/cook period.  When the IT gets up around 160, it is going to stall, maybe for several hours.  Don't panic and don't adjust the oven temp up.  When the IT stalls, the magic is happening.  Trust me and everyone else, the IT will start up again.

Have fun, make sure the water pan is full and get ready for everyone to rave about your butts!

KyNola

Nibby4239

They are done! I finally took them out with one at 196 degs and the other at 203 degrees. Theses actually were in the smoker for 19 and 1/2 hours at 220 deg. I had to have something under them to avoid falling apart taking them off the rack. I have never tasted better. I gave my good neighbor one and I'm going to tear into the other one after while and also for Thanksgiving Dinner tomorrow. Nibby :)

KevinG

Nice looking butts there!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

KyNola

Nice work Nibby!  Your neighbor is going to be thankful that he has you as a neighbor.

KyNola

Quarlow

OMG that is beautiful stuff. You guys just do awesome work on those things.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ArnieM

Congrats Nibby.  Great looking butts.  There's nothing like doing it yourself and then saying WOW!

I think you're hooked.  Yes, it takes time and patience but the rewards are great.

I'd also go for the upper racks.  Had a brisket one time.  One piece was on the lower rack and the bottom got kind of burned and dried from the direct heat.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Nibby4239

Thanks for the kind words. I would  have used the upper and second rack but these were just to thick until they were nearly done.
Nibby  ;D

classicrockgriller

GREAT JOB! Beautiful color.

Now what ya gonna smoke this week?

Make the neighbor buy this time and he will be glad too.