First batch of jerky

Started by _Bear_, November 24, 2009, 04:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Bear_

Hi all, I am new here, I own a Bradley Digital 6 rack smoker. I have smoked 3 or 4 batches of salmon in it so far and that is all I have done. I decided to try some jerky. I bought a whole strip loin and mostly cut into steaks, but I cut about 3 lbs of it for jerky. The recipe I am trying is
1 Cup soy sauce
1 cup Worcestershire
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
3 heaping table spoons minced garlic
2 tea spoons black pepper
3 teaspoons weatherford spice (a steak spice)
3 table spoons dehydrated onion
I am marinating this overnight in the fridge and smoking it tomorrow. Most of the meat is probably 3/8" thick, but I cubed some as well, I plan on smoking it for 4 hrs or so (until meat is flexable) @ 150* using hickory wood pucks. Does this sound right? Anybody have any suggestions?
Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

KevinG

Welcome Bear!
3/8" might be a little on the thick side, and I'm not sure how big your cubes are, but that might be a problem if they are too thick. I've never done jerky any thicker than 1/4". I also didn't see any cure in your recipe. If your going to smoke it I recommend it to reduce the chance of botulism, if your going to just dehydrate you should be OK. Everything else looks delicious. Hope this helps.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

Hiya Bear and Welcome

Sounds like KevinG has you on the straight and narrow.

That Weatherford spice sounds interesting.

Quarlow

Hey _bear_ for what it's worth in the presence of the greatness that have replyed already ;D What you explain is basicly the same as my little brother does his. He/we never use cure but we keep it in the freezer and besides it doesn't usually last long anyway. Just my 2 cents.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

NePaSmoKer

_Bear_

Thanks guys. The Weatherford spice is actually given to customers of Wetherford International, it is an oilfield sevices company. They have done lots of work for me in the past and I have gotten cases of the stuff from them, butt only have a few bottles left. Time to hit them boys up for more. I have never net anyone try it that didn't beg me for a bottle of it after LOL, it's GOOD stuff. Well, the jerky just went in the smoker, so we will see this evening how it turnes out with this small batch.

Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

Piker

Welcome to the forum Bear. I live down the road in Barnwell and I still have some weatherford spice left but its been 10 yrs. since I left the patch. Good smoking. Piker