• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New OBS...couple questions

Started by KCTR, November 25, 2009, 08:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCTR

Well it's my b-day and I did get my OBS from my wife, so I'm pretty happy.  I fired it up and had a couple of questions.  First, what is the max temp that you can normally get your OBS up to empty?  I couldn't get mine much past 250-260 empty and vent wide open.  It shut off periodically too which I thought was a bit abnormal.  Is this abnormal or am I expecting too much for temp?

Also, for my first smoke I don't want to do something too pricey I just want to get a feel for how it works.  I have an arm roast and a round steak in the freezer as well as a small brisket.  I know the brisket is a common smoke, but what about the other 2?  Has anybody ever smoked an arm roast or round steak?  Is it worth my time for a first trial smoke?

Happy thanksgiving to everybody! 

Huntnfreak

I'm new to this too so I can't tell you much about the max temp, but I have learned that you can smoke anything.  I had the same idea of starting with the cheap meat too to get a feel for it.  It doesn't take long to figure it out.  The easiest thing to learn on is pork.  I don't know why, but I haven't screwed up any pork to the point that I can't eat it.  The Bradley is so easy to use that you have to work to screw it up!   

JGW

As long as you can hit 250, I wouldn't worry about it.  Anything worth smoking is normally done in the 200-225 range.   ;D

Not sure what you mean by "shut off".  Is it maintaining the temp?  If so, you should be good to go.

Pork is always a good bet for a first smoke, and (probably in the minority) I think chicken is a pretty easy smoke as well.  Not sure I'd smoke a round steak.  A ribeye sure....cold smoke then grill.

Don't apply smoke the whole time....Bradley recommends applying smoke for about 1/2 the total cooking time, and it's a good base line.  Add or subtract from that based on your preference.

mikeradio

The Bradley has an high temperature cut out which will open, then when it cools it closes.  Thought they were a 295 degree cut out, maybe your temperature gauge is out abit.  Like JGW said you should never need over 250.

Mike

classicrockgriller

Most of your Bst Butts you will smoke at 220 or less.

Same with a brisket.

Did you a internal temp thermo in your smoker when you got this temp reading?

ArnieM

Hi KCTR and welcome to the forum.  I bought mine for MY birthday.  ;D

I don't think I've ever gotten above 250 or so, regardless of what the spec sheet says.

The OBS is a smoker and meant for low and slow cooking.  It's not an oven.

As far as your beef cuts go, how would you normally cook them?  If low and slow in an oven or a crock pot, the OBS can do a good job on them.  Apply smoke for 2-3 hours.  Then cook until 'done'.  If you have a 'quality' steak, it's probably best done on the grill.  

I did a hunk of chuck roast in the OBS and treated it like a brisket.  IT of 195 or so.  It wasn't a brisket replacement but came out pretty good.  Most of us cook to the desired IT rather than time.  I've found brisket goes for about 1.75-2 hours per pound as a guideline.  As JGW said, about 220-225 cabinet temp should do it.

Please post back if you have more questions.  We're here to help.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

KCTR;

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

When the cabinet is empty or you are smoking foods that are considered lower in moisture, closing the vent  to 1/4 - 1/2 open will produce higher temperatures. Also if you are using the cabinet thermometer, it reads lower in that area; and it could be much higher in towards the back of the cabinet.

If it was shutting off periodically, that is a sign that the temperature reached 320°F where the high limited switch is located. It is located in the back of the cabinet on the left side, you will see a disc about the size of a half dollar. That is a safety feature in all Bradley's. It is a switch that will trip if the temperature gets too high, and will reset when the cabinet temperature cools down. It is not recommended to take the smoker that high, because there is also a fuse inside the cabinet that can burn out, and you will be without a smoker until you can get a replacement part.

Another possibility is that it may not have gotten as high as 320°F, and you may have a defective switch. You should get a probe to monitor the cabinet temperature, such as the Maverick ET-73.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

drano

KCTR,

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your Bradley.  As others have said, 230 deg is about the tops for smoking, so yours is working fine.

+1 on the Maverick remote thermometer.  Provides accurate smoker and meat temps. 

First smoke options: 
- Small pork butt.  230 deg until Maverick says meat is 190.  A 2.75 to 3 lb butt takes me about 9 hours, then I FTC it (wrap in foil, then towel, then put in a cooler) for an hour or 2 until we're ready to eat.
- Chicken wings: buy pre-cut up wings, or cut them at the joints yourself.  14 wings at 230 deg took 2 hours. 

get smokin
drano

KCTR

Thank you all for your replies!  I think it's doing everything correctly.  I have a ET 73 coming Saturday so I'll be posting pics of my first smoke.  I'll be doing some seasoning today only.  Hope everyone's enjoying there thanksgiving!