First Brisket, need advice!

Started by KCTR, November 27, 2009, 08:19:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCTR

Ok, I've seasoned the smoker and I'm swinging for the fences with my first smoke with a Brisket.  My wife went to Wal-mart and purchased what I assume is a packer brisket (since she described it to me over the phone).  It was 11 lbs and was sealed in a cryovac.  I've read many posts about different options on how to smoke and read the WTS recipe.  For me, I'd like to smoke it the entire time in the smoker.  The plan is for around a 11-12 hour smoke with 4-5 hours of mesquite smoke.  My ET 73 is coming this afternoon so I'll be able to monitor the temp.  I plan on starting the smoke tonight and having it ready sometime around lunch tomorrow.  I'm going to use the WTS rub more than likely because it seems the easiest (I'm trying to keep this simple since it's my first time).  My biggest question is...if I don't wrap it in foil and skip the oven and smoke it in the OBS the entire time, what are some problems I might run into?  Should I definitely go with a spray or mop to ensure it's not dried out?  Also, with the packer, can anybody tell me what I should do to prep besides the rub?  I know a lot of people put the fat side up to help with moisture of the meat.  Sorry for the long post and thank you all for your help!

FLBentRider

Sounds like a plan.

You might want to mop every couple of hours or so.

I didn't mop my last one, and I didn't monitor the temp - it was a little dry around the edges..

you really can't go wrong with the WTS method.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

jaredpost

I don't use a mop and cook the entire time in the smoker. It turns out fine for me. I find it takes a little longer that 12 hours for me but I like the briket to reach at least 190* maybe 195* so its really tender. You might want to start it a couple hours earlier and if it gets done early then just wrap it in foil and put a towel around it and set it in your cooler. I've had them stay warm for hours doing this. My last brisket took me 18 hours and it was about 12 to 13 pounds.

Good luck, I'm sure it'll turn out great.

ArnieM

I wouldn't use the bottom-most rack.  I think there's too much direct heat there.  The bottom of the brisket tends to get overcooked - dry and tough.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.