Winter Home for DBS

Started by oakville smoker, December 01, 2009, 07:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Bear_

I have a covered deck that is enclosed on 3 sides and attached to the garage. It seems to work well in the corner. What is the minmum temps this thing will work at. I have used it for smoking at slightly below freezing, but will it make enough heat at say -15*c?? Sorry for the dirty deck, but it is winter and not used much. I have all kinds of stuff on the deck that should be in the garage, but I am rebuilding my race car in there and I am out of room.

Bradly Digital 6 rack smoker
Bradley Propane Smoker
The Big Easy
Broil King gas BBQ
"Cant hurt it, it's already dead"

ArnieM

Quote from: _Bear_ on December 01, 2009, 03:30:23 PM
I have an covered deck that is enclosed on 3 sides. It seems to work well in the corner. What is the minmum temps this thing will work at. I have used it for smoking at slightly below freezing, but will it make enough heet at say -15*c??

That's about 5F.  I've heard it will work, especially if kept out of the wind.  I haven't had mine long enough to try it yet.  I'm sure others with longer term experience will chime in here.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

watchdog56

I live in Minnesota and keep my smoker in garage. This is the first year I have owned it. My garage is not insulated but plan on using the smoker this winter. It is a 4 rack DBS. I know I have to keep the generator inside but is it going to be ok to use it in the garage to keep it out of the weather? I have a window I set it by so most of the smoke does go out there. I also have a programmable PID so am I going to have trouble keeping temps at what they are set at?

KevinG

Quote from: squirtthecat on December 01, 2009, 12:03:28 PM
Quote from: KevinG on December 01, 2009, 11:29:49 AM
STC - I've been looking for something like that for mine. I tried to click on your link, but it sent me into no-mans land. Do you remember about how much it cost?

It was $99 at Menards.  Amazon.com carries them as well.   Make sure you get the measurements first, so you know your BS will fit.

Yea, I wanted to see one in person to get the measurements, cause I'm not sure how I'm going to do the cold smoker attachement.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

ArnieM

Kevin,

If you're cold smoking at freezing temps, I wouldn't worry about the cold smoker attachment  ;D  I'm getting some cheese on next week.  Gonna be pretty chilly around here.

For year round use, it sounds like a pretty big cabinet would be required, maybe 4-5 feet wide with a custom shelf arrangement; room to bring the duct from the SG to the cabinet.  Or, a shed if you have any place to put it.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KevinG

Quote from: ArnieM on December 01, 2009, 07:41:12 PM
Kevin,

If you're cold smoking at freezing temps, I wouldn't worry about the cold smoker attachment  ;D  I'm getting some cheese on next week.  Gonna be pretty chilly around here.

For year round use, it sounds like a pretty big cabinet would be required, maybe 4-5 feet wide with a custom shelf arrangement; room to bring the duct from the SG to the cabinet.  Or, a shed if you have any place to put it.

I'll be lucky to hit 65 degrees, night time I get a little closer usually around 45 nowhere near freezing. I was hoping I could have some way to easily switch between the cold and normal hookup without having to remove the unit from the cabinet. I have a pretty small back yard and an HOA with rules that limit the size of the shed I can have to 6' tall. Ahh the fun of other peoples rules on my property >:(

squirtthecat

Quote from: KevinG on December 01, 2009, 07:46:10 PM
HOA with rules that limit the size of the shed I can have to 6' tall.

But how wide?   6'x6'x16'  ;)

KevinG

But then I'd have to lay the Bradley on its side. I think the meat might fall down. Guess I could use some clothespins.  :D

Hopefull Romantic

I am planning to winterize my Bradley next week. The cabinet will be 115 3/4" tall, 47 1/4" wide and 24" deep allowing for a permanent cold smoke set up and lots of storage to get all my smoking / grilling accessories out of the house (Mrs. order but she has no clue of what I am planning to carry out them orders).

The steel frame is ready and will be covered by a special kind of wood that will be encased with water and snowproof resin. I plan to install a ventilator in the roof about 24" from the top of the Bradley to get the smoke out. If the weight allows it, I will be installing heavy duty wheels to make it semi mobile. Work should start as of next Moday and I will be posting pictures.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

oakville smoker

Thanks all

I have considered the idea of a cupboard type thing to store it in but my deck is cedar with a glass rail system and it would probably look like hell.  I am thinking by the time I bought some kind of resin cupboard the DBS would fit in, I could have probably bought the wood and created kind of a custom cabinet for the Bradley.  I should have been thinking about this when the weather was still warm.

My garage is barely big enough to hold my car. I have a 13 HP snow blower that competes for accomodation with my car.  Never mind all the other stuff that winds up getting stored in the garage because the house just does not have tons of storage.  The easiest thing to do is probably position the DBS below the garage window and try to vent it out the side of the house and away from the window frame.  The kitchen window is just above the garage window so that could present some challenges. 

I am off for 2 weeks at the end of December and maybe this will become a self entertainment project.  That is creating a cabinet for my DBS, now if I only had some cabinet making skills !  LOL.  I am really good at watching the DIY network and using virtual tools from the couch, but actailly building something from my own design, thats another story.  I am still fantasizing about smoking a turkey for Christmas and somehow I need to be operational for winter smoking by then.

All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

NePaSmoKer

Use your Bradley all year.

Outside cold and nasty

Inside

Smoke anything in it  :D

nepas

oakville smoker

NePa

I have a hot tub in my back yard too
I have been thinking about some kind of gazebo for the hot tub
Covering my DBS using the gazebo and the hot tub at the same time enhances the value proposition for the gazebo
Seems a touch extreme, but I like extreme
Maybe I could smoke while I soak...  a multitasking value proposition in the works !
There is black and white in my world but I never see grey !
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?