Winter Home for DBS

Started by oakville smoker, December 01, 2009, 07:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

Hey all

Winter is coming and I need to face reality.  My golf club closed last Wednesday and that drove the message home loud and clear.  It was something like HEY DUMMY, ITS GOING TO SNOW SOON, HOW YOU GOING TO USE THE BRADLEY IN THE SNOW
Actually I think I called myself something worse than dummy.  I might be in line for some therapy. If only I lived in California...

I am thinking I need to build a "house" for my DBS.  I really dont want to use the smoker in the garage as the entire house will wind up smelling like a smoke house as the garage is below the dining room and kitchen.  My garage barely holds a singl;e car and its competes for space with my snow blower, lawn mower, shovels, garbage storage, tool chest etc. I could try some type of exhaust pipe / fan or vent hood thing but frankly, I am an office boy, not a technician.  I am not bad with hammer and saw and screw gun so I am thinking I will try to play to my strengths.

Does anyone have a plan for "house" that a DBS could fit in?  I am thinking it could even be a year round residence for my DBS.  a 3 sided box with a door on the front, insulated, maybe some power outlets.  That would shelter it from the rain and wind when its not snowing and blowing.  I might even get energetic and puts some shelves or something below the smoker house for storage.

This is a pretty resourceful group of people here.  Has anyone done anything like this?  Any plans or pics?
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

squirtthecat

I took the 'buy it vs build it' route. (I'm a computer geek, I don't swing a hammer for fear of mashing my fingers :D)

Let me find the post I did on my "Suncast Smoke Shed".  It works great, rain or shine or freezing cold wind.

squirtthecat

Planning:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10995.0

Completion:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11002.msg126849#msg126849

I put an old cabinet inside to hold my OBS, and I use it for storing pans/racks, etc.  I still need to put some shelves in it.. (and some kind of exhaust vent - for now I just crack the doors open a bit)

classicrockgriller

I would suggest a place large enough for your Bradley, refridge, satelite TV, bed, shower, etc, etc ..... ;D ;D ;D

oaksmok, wish I could help you but where I live we never get any sneaux!

squirtthecat

We're looking at a low of 15 degrees this Friday night...   I need to smoke something just to monitor the temps.

classicrockgriller

Well I spoke too quick, wifie just told me it is suppose to sneaux here Friday!

RAF128

I set mine up in the Garage.   Our weather is colder than Oakvillesmoker's.   I want to use mine year around.  My garage is heated.   I bought a piece of plywood to fit in the window opening.    I just open the window, put the plywood in and hock everything to the top of the bradley.   I ran into one small problem.   It exhausts inside the window frame.   No smoke in the garage but the window frame, screen frame, screen and siding are covered with smoke.    It's going to take a lot of cleaning ::).   I went out and bought another piece of pipe that fits into the exhaust pipe.   I removed the screen from the window(won't have to worry about any bugs this time of year ;)) and that should cure the problem.   Everything will get cleaned next spring when it warms up.

RAF128

Just realized I have a picture in photobucket that I posted here a while back.   So here it is again.

squirtthecat

You might be able to have a plastic 'storm window' made that is the same size as your screen..  Just cut a hole in it big enough to run the vent pipe through - that should help keep any critters out and provide a little extra insulation.

I wish I had the room (and the window) to do the same.

KevinG

STC - I've been looking for something like that for mine. I tried to click on your link, but it sent me into no-mans land. Do you remember about how much it cost?
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

KevinG

STC - Never mind, I think I found it at Sears for $135. Hoping it would have been a little cheaper. Maybe I'll find a used one somewhere.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

squirtthecat

Quote from: KevinG on December 01, 2009, 11:29:49 AM
STC - I've been looking for something like that for mine. I tried to click on your link, but it sent me into no-mans land. Do you remember about how much it cost?

It was $99 at Menards.  Amazon.com carries them as well.   Make sure you get the measurements first, so you know your BS will fit.

squirtthecat

Yeah, this is the same one at Sears:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07169295000P?keyword=suncast

Mine was on a 'summer clearance' sale.  You might be able to find one cheaper.

ArnieM

I took a hint from squirt and did pretty much the same thing with a plastic cabinet.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=11704.msg129415#msg129415

The OBS didn't fit very well.  The listed dimensions sounded OK, but that was outside, not inside.  The inside dimensions were quite a bit smaller.

Then it got REAL windy here last week and the cabinet got blown over.  It's totaled.  The top cracked and split.  Luckily, the OBS wasn't in it at the time.  The moral of the story is "Anchor it".

I plan on building a plywood 'outhouse' this spring.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Quote from: ArnieM on December 01, 2009, 12:29:43 PM
The moral of the story is "Anchor it".

Ditto.  Mine is bolted to my fence.  It would take a tornado strike to move it.
And if that happened, I would have bigger problems to worry about.

I did go out to the store and measure the inside of one of the 'floor models', just to be sure.