Cheese Placement

Started by psuman316, December 02, 2009, 06:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

psuman316

Just wondering taking my first spin with smoking some cheese and was wondering if I should place softer cheeses closer to the smoke or farther away.  I guess my question is how you would place these cheeses on the 4 different racks.  Muenster, Wisconsin Mild Cheddar, Horseradish, Hot pepper Jack, and a processed pepperoni (basically velvetta with pepperoni chunks in it). Also was wondering how long I should apply the hickory or pecan smoke for Thanks

Quarlow

Definitely put the softer cheese closer to the top and the harder stuff lower. Also keep it all as high up as you can.
The next time I smoke cheese I will be doing 4 hours as the batch I did with 2 hours was not very smokey at all. The old cheddar had a hint of smoke and the rest you couldn't tell it was smoked.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Hopefull Romantic

I agree with Q on the positioning of the cheese. As for how long, I think it is a presonal preferance. Last time I did cheese, it was also not so smoky and that was for two hours, I am planning to do some more in the next couple of days and planning to go for 3.5 - 4 hours of hickory.

Remember, you will have to siran wrap the cheese and place in the fridge for at least 10 day (the more the better).

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

psuman316

Thank you guys for your help appreciate your speedy response

pensrock

I agree, when I do Velveeta it goes on the top rack. If you do not have a cold smoke setup you may want to keep the bottom rack open for a foil pan of ice to help keep the temp down. Most cheeses are good with 3-4 hours smoke depending on your tastes.