Cold weather.

Started by MPTubbs, December 02, 2009, 10:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPTubbs

First of the year....it will be a Christmas Presnt. from the wife!
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

OU812

Mine was a Christmas present from the wife also. I think she was tired of hearing me bitching about my other smokers

classicrockgriller

mptubbs, tell her to let you start using it and she can wrap the empty box. ;D

MPTubbs

Now thats a plan!
I'll give it my best shot! 8)

trapperbruce

ok ...im a  newbie here(bought bds 6 rack a week ago and smokin ever since )   its -25 c here today and i been smokin sausage today ..i set temp at at 160*f and had no problem keepin the temp ...last few days was smokin other things  and it was -15 ish but the wind was up and it was a bit harder to control the temp...
<'))))><  bruce

Quarlow

Yup Trapper the wind will kick your ass. Cold is not that big of a deal but the wind will get you.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

shakesports

First year with a smoker-----
First batch in single digit temperatures----

I have been smoking with the oven set at max temp. and have only reached 180 degrees so far. (its been 5 degrees outside all day).  Make sure you rotate you racks a lot, I torched the stuff that was on the bottom. >:( I am already trying to figure out a thermal blanket so help insulate the smoker. I think the slight breeze is a major factor in the temperature.

Scott

Quarlow

Yeah Scott someone else asked about insulating too. Somebody suggested to use a welders blanket. That sounds like a good idea as long as you can attach it somehow.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

MPTubbs

I will be smok'n in the garage right by the door so I can stay out of the wind.

Saturday will be my first smoke in the Bradley with the highs arouind 20ish...do'n a couple of beer can chickens.

I'll keep U all posted on how well the temp did.

oakrdrzfan

Quote from: shakesports on December 09, 2009, 04:03:57 PM

I have been smoking with the oven set at max temp. and have only reached 180 degrees so far. (its been 5 degrees outside all day).  Make sure you rotate you racks a lot, I torched the stuff that was on the bottom. >:( I am already trying to figure out a thermal blanket so help insulate the smoker. I think the slight breeze is a major factor in the temperature.

Scott

Let me know what you end up doing.  I was thinking of some rigid foam insulation and putting the smoker in it.  I will be mindfull of air intake and exhaust though.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: mptubbs on December 09, 2009, 04:23:13 PM

Saturday will be my first smoke in the Bradley with the highs arouind 20ish...do'n a couple of beer can chickens.

Tubbs,
I do that all the time. Works great and your garage will smell great for the next couple of days.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: oakrdrzfan on December 09, 2009, 06:31:52 PM
Quote from: shakesports on December 09, 2009, 04:03:57 PM

Scott

Let me know what you end up doing.  I was thinking of some rigid foam insulation and putting the smoker in it.  I will be mindfull of air intake and exhaust though.

Hey guys, here a link to a welding blanket I've been looking at for a project. They specs on it are the best I've found and think it would work for you. Welding Blanket
HawkeyeSmokes

OU812

Good luck on your birds. Remember to keep the vent wide open when doing poultry as you will have allot of moisture coming from them and you dont want it to build up in your smoker and dripping down on your food it's nasty and it could back up in your generator and really mess things up.

I will be looking for smoke signals coming from the south west this sat. I will also be smoking this weekend, doing some jalapeno swiss summer sausage.

MPTubbs

Quote from: OU812 on December 10, 2009, 08:51:30 AM

Good luck on your birds. Remember to keep the vent wide open when doing poultry as you will have allot of moisture coming from them and you dont want it to build up in your smoker and dripping down on your food it's nasty and it could back up in your generator and really mess things up.

I will be looking for smoke signals coming from the south west this sat. I will also be smoking this weekend, doing some jalapeno swiss summer sausage.

U have fun this week-end I know I will! Going to Cabela's today and buy me the 2 can chicken set up.
They look heavyduty! ;)

OU812

Any thing will be more fun than what I went through the past couple days, daughter put her car in the steepest ditch she could find, only took 4 hr and a tractor to pull her out and that was at 1:30 PM then had to pull her car for a mile and half cause the snow was about a foot by then and the wife tried to plow her way through a drift and planted her car right in the middle then she through the belt trying to get it out. Had to tell her to shut it off before she blew it up, she wasnt happy. So I went to pull her out and then got a call form the neighbor who was stuck also, she was able to keep her car running so she was # 3 on the list. What dont these people understand, when you have a blizzard warning that means STAY AT HOME. Didnt get in the WARM house till almost 10:00 PM.

Didnt get the roads cleared till 1:00 PM and my drive 10:00 yesterday.

Sorry got carried away. I WILL HAVE FUN SMOKING. You do the same.