• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Prague Powder in Canada

Started by oakville smoker, December 03, 2009, 07:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

Just got off the phone with my new best friend  who is now my supplier for all things sausage out in Alberta.
I was asking him how Prague 1 and 2 were indicated in his catalog and he told me they are no longer
allowed to sell the nitrate, only the nitrite.  Interesting.  I said I think I am going to have to order it in
from the US and he said well commerical people we are selling this to, are using it for both wet and dry cures.

I am a touch confused.  Could this be true?  Using one cure for both applications?  I just got Rytek's book and
I am getting freaked out about cures and smoking now.  Rytek says if you cannot cure it, or don't cure it, you
should not smoke it.  Got me wondering about ribs that are not cured and hit the smoker.  I never have a temp
drop to less  than 180 so I think thats in the safe zone, but I would be interested in the honorable members opinions
here.
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

KevinG

You really only need cure #2 for really long cures like summer sausage or hams that sit for months before you eat them. Cure #1 is used for slow smoked foods, that are typically cooked again or eaten immediately. Cure #2 releases the nitrate and over time it turns to nitrite, it is still the nitrite that does the work. A lot of people refer to it like a time release capsule. It releases it little by little. Hope this helps.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

FLBentRider

As long as you are "hot smoking" - temps 200F and above I believe - you are fine.

It's all about how long the food is in the "danger zone"

There are some ambiguities about what temps/times are cold smoking, hot smoking, Barbequeing, etc.

I have cold smoked ribs for an hour - straight out of the fridge, into the smoker, back into the fridge - with no problems.

It is about how long the meat is in the danger zone.

I've always assumed that Rytek is talking about traditional sausage smoking, where the temps are low for a long time.

Given that, most of our rubs are salty enough to offer protection to cuts of meat like ribs or a pork butt.

Not only is sausage processed more and cooked lower, but if you think about it, almost all of the surface area of the sausage was exposed to air and machinery at some time in the process - that is a lot more opportunity for contamination.

As far as the one cure thing - what I understand from your post is that you can get Cure/Prague #1 (nitrite) but not Cure/Prague #2(nitrate)

Cure #2 is for dry curing and breaks down into nitrite over time - kind of like "time release" cure #1 - but you would still need cure #1 for the short term curing of the sausage.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

OAK,
I wouldn't worry about the ribs at all.  I don't know anyone who cures their ribs prior to smoking, at least for the potential "contamination" reasons.

KyNola

oakville smoker

A little bit of knowledge is sometimes dangerous !  And I am only through the first 30 pages.  LOOK OUT when I actually finish a chapter.
But I had to ask the question.

I love how the Canadian governments mission is constantly to protect the good citizens from themselves !

I will just order what I need from the US or have my buddy bring it over when he comes for a meeting so supply will remain constantt.
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

KevinG

Yea, it's pretty funny because vegetables actually have more nitrate in them due to fertilization than you would put in your meat. The biggest concern is how you cook it. High temps like frying bacon makes it carcinogenic.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Mr Walleye

Oakville Smoker

I'm assuming your dealing with Halfords in Edmonton. They are great to deal with but they only sell Prague Cure #1, even their online catalogue only lists cure #1.

www.stuffers.com in BC lists on their web site Prague Cure #2. Here is a direct link.
http://www.wwf5.com/stuffers.com/wecs.php?store=stuffers&action=display&target=RCUPRAGUE2

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

lumpy

Hey Mr. lakeshore

Try JB's

I've only used cure #1 in all of my sausages

BTW.......you think your confused now.wait till we get harmonized taxes :o :o

Lumpy

Oldman

QuoteI love how the Canadian governments mission is constantly to protect the good citizens from themselves !
You are not alone. We got those "good for you" police here in the USA as well.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!