PINTOS

Started by NePaSmoKer, December 03, 2009, 08:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Doing some pinto beans for dinner tonight. Going to add some of the Andouille i did last week.

nepas

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ArnieM

Looks like they're spiced up some already NePaS.  Let us know how they turn out.

My youngest daughter's boyfriend's mother is Puerto Rican.  She does a lot of beans, pork and rice.  She can knockout some really great stuff.  Did you ever hear of (I think it's) Flan?  Kind of a desert custard with a sugar sauce.  Good stuff.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: ArnieM on December 03, 2009, 09:11:52 AM
Looks like they're spiced up some already NePaS.  Let us know how they turn out.

My youngest daughter's boyfriend's mother is Puerto Rican.  She does a lot of beans, pork and rice.  She can knockout some really great stuff.  Did you ever hear of (I think it's) Flan?  Kind of a desert custard with a sugar sauce.  Good stuff.

Oh yeah Arnie, know all about the spanish food. My mom is mexican and i grew up in Southern Calif (34 years) before moving to PA back in 93. I grew up eating evrything you can think of, even cactus.

nepas

OU812

Mmmmmmmmmm beans, I'd like to learn how to make some homemade pinto beans like that.  Hint Hint  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: OU812 on December 03, 2009, 09:58:12 AM
Mmmmmmmmmm beans, I'd like to learn how to make some homemade pinto beans like that.  Hint Hint  ::)

Easy Peasy Nice And Easy

1 pound dry pintos, sorted and rinsed.
8 cups cold water
black pepper to taste
salt to taste
onion diced 1/2 cup
garlic (opt)
1 small ham hock or 1/2 lb of bacon

Sort the beans and remove any bad ones and rocks. Rinse 2 times in a collander. Place beans in a Stainless Steel pan and cover with the 8 cups of water. Bring to a rapid boil (uncovered) for 5 mins. Remove from heat and let stand COVERED for 1.5 hrs.

After they have soaked for the 1.5 hr uncover and return to a simmer UNCOVERED. Add the black pepper and onion and continue to simmer.
Add the hock/bacon when beans are getting tender. Add the salt the last 10 mins of cooking. Beans should be tender and able to be smashed easy with a fork.

Here are a few tips.

Try to use a stainless steel or clay pot to cook beans.
Have 8 to 10 cups of water in another pan hot so you can keep the beans covered.
For a thicker bean take 1 cup of the cooked beans (no liquid) and mash em with a fork. Return to beans and stir. The beans will get thicker.
Only add the salt the last 10 mins. If you add the salt during cooking the beans will be hard and it will take 2 weeks to get them soft  :D
Add any other type of ingredients you wish. IE peppers, cumin, curry, chili powder and so on to your taste.

enjoy

nepas

squirtthecat

I've got a bag of pintos at home...  Hmmm...

NePaSmoKer

Here is what the pintos look like in the first hour of cooking. Just the black pepper and onion is added.

They have about 2 more hours to cook.

nepas

ArnieM

This part is really important.
Only add the salt the last 10 mins. If you add the salt during cooking the beans will be hard and it will take 2 weeks to get them soft

Also, as NePaS said, SIMMER, don't boil.

I usually soak mine over night if I have enough forethought.  But, the quick boil method up front seems to work pretty well too.

My wife buys a lot of "Beano", thank goodness  ;D
-- Arnie

OU812

Thanks NePas

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 03, 2009, 10:16:21 AM

Only add the salt the last 10 mins. If you add the salt during cooking the beans will be hard and it will take 2 weeks to get them soft  :D

Thats why my first and only batch turned out kinda tuff.

Ka Honu

I use a similar method but soak or cook the ham hock first to flavor the water I'm going to cook the beans in.  Then add (soaked & drained) beans and onion and cook till beans are tender.  About an hour before serving, I add 1 teaspoon each of cumin, chili powder, dried oregano, & black pepper, plus 2 cloves minced garlic and 1-2 diced Jalapeno peppers.  Mmmmm good!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: ArnieM on December 03, 2009, 11:04:49 AM
This part is really important.
Only add the salt the last 10 mins. If you add the salt during cooking the beans will be hard and it will take 2 weeks to get them soft

Also, as NePaS said, SIMMER, don't boil.

I usually soak mine over night if I have enough forethought.  But, the quick boil method up front seems to work pretty well too.

My wife buys a lot of "Beano", thank goodness  ;D

Arnie

Add a pinch of baking soda to the beans the last 5 mins. This will releive the gas  ;D

Mine are done now.

Here are the smashed beans to add.

Now just waiting for flour tortillas and extras  ;D

nepas

OU812

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 03, 2009, 12:03:51 PM
Add a pinch of baking soda to the bean the last 5 mins. This will releive the gas  ;D

What, and ruin all my fun, quick pull my finger.

ArnieM

Quote from: OU812 on December 03, 2009, 12:09:59 PM
Add a pinch of baking soda to the bean the last 5 mins. This will releive the gas  ;D

I've heard of adding the baking soda during a soak, while the beans cook and, as you suggest, at the end.  I haven't tried it. 

My wife gets Beano in quantity; I don't use it.  I suppose the competition under the blanket at night isn't quite fair.  Oh well.

OU, you can come and pull my finger.  But, be aware, it's set to "full auto".
-- Arnie

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: ArnieM on December 03, 2009, 05:42:10 PM
Quote from: OU812 on December 03, 2009, 12:09:59 PM

I've heard of adding the baking soda during a soak, while the beans cook and, as you suggest, at the end.  I haven't tried it. 

My wife gets Beano in quantity; I don't use it.  I suppose the competition under the blanket at night isn't quite fair.  Oh well.

OU, you can come and pull my finger.  But, be aware, it's set to "full auto".

:D  :D

Mine is 3 round bursts  :D  :D