BBQ Pitmasters Series

Started by classicrockgriller, December 03, 2009, 12:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on December 03, 2009, 08:32:48 PM
Quote from: squirtthecat on December 03, 2009, 08:23:52 PM

I wasn't crazy about the show.. Typical TLC.  Drop a bunch of F bombs and add some clever editing..

But, the Asian guys from CA with the homemade BBQ Guru rig?   I'd love to have their email addy.

Here ya go. http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/ Contact page is on there! Here's the addy. [email protected]

Thanks, I found out what control system they were using on the show...

"Stoker"

http://rocksbarbque.com/

OU812

I missed it  :(

Was tearing out a buddys garage floor that sunk due to bad subgrade, going to pour it back tonight. Ye Ha.  :-\

I dont know how I get my self into crap like this  ;)

Caribou

Watched it last night, really good!
Even the hubby liked it  :D :D :D
Carolyn

KevinG

Quote from: squirtthecat on December 04, 2009, 06:37:48 AM
Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on December 03, 2009, 08:32:48 PM
Quote from: squirtthecat on December 03, 2009, 08:23:52 PM

I wasn't crazy about the show.. Typical TLC.  Drop a bunch of F bombs and add some clever editing..

But, the Asian guys from CA with the homemade BBQ Guru rig?   I'd love to have their email addy.

Here ya go. http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/ Contact page is on there! Here's the addy. [email protected]

Thanks, I found out what control system they were using on the show...

"Stoker"

http://rocksbarbque.com/

That control is pretty neat. I wish I could have seen it in action.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

I watched it again an hour later and the same guy won.

KevinG

Those things must be rigged  :D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

ronbeaux

I sold my Stoker a few months back. They are pretty cool. At one time I had it to where I could control 3 pits at once and monitor them from my Blackberry through an IP address.

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: ronbeaux on December 04, 2009, 10:10:02 AM
I sold my Stoker a few months back. They are pretty cool. At one time I had it to where I could control 3 pits at once and monitor them from my Blackberry through an IP address.

That is way kewl. Post a pic if you have one.

KyNola

Jan and I were watching the show last night.  She turned to me and said "when you retire I DON"T want to go on the competition circuit".  I told her not to worry as I had neither the inclination, time, patience nor funds to do that.  I love smoking meats but that is some serious work they do.  I think it would take all of the fun out of it for me.  That's more like a full time job.  Hell, if I want to keep working I won't bother to retire.

KyNola

FLBentRider

Quote from: KyNola on December 04, 2009, 11:23:58 AMHell, if I want to keep working I won't bother to retire.

AMEN Brother!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ronbeaux

Here is my perspective. We have an empty nest. I love to cook and have always loved to compete. She likes to listen to bands, shop, and camp out(as long as there is climate control, TV, restroom facilities that don't include having to 'go' somewhere.) In 2007 we did 5 contests, all of them in Louisiana and all of them associated with a festival of some sort. 2008 we did 9, same thing. I only sign up for the ones I can pull my camper to and have water and electricity. It's like killing three birds with one rock. We get to spend the weekend hanging out with great people who also enjoy the passion of cooking, we get to camp out, and she gets to visit the arts and crafts and we both get to listen to the bands at night. If we win we win, if we don't we don't. I am still striving to get a Grand Championship but I'm not beating myself up trying to get there. Someday it will happen. The closest I have come is 3rd overall with 40 teams. We've made a little money which is always good and it has paid for a few trips to get to the next one.

I'm not bragging, but I am good enough that the others here in Louisiana know they can't let their guard down when I show up. This year was slow for us and we only did 4 contests. She has had three surgeries and that slowed us down. 2010 is going to be better and I'm looking at doing 9 again, maybe 10. There will be 14 contests in Louisiana, up from only three 5 years ago.

Bottom line. We have a blast! I got bragging trophies and a lot of new found friends who are a hoot to hang out with and heckle and get heckled by. Swapping lies is the norm. Brisket fat up are down is a good one, so is temp for chicken. and wrap or not wrap for ribs.

Yes it is a lot of work but I love it. If you don't, then don't go. If you show up thinking your the best you are in for a rude awakening.

Just plug along and turn out the best product you can and leave it in the hands of the judges knowing you did your best.

FLBentRider

Ron,

That great that you can camp and enjoy it.

If it's something you love and you are passionate about it then it is not work.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

FLBR,
I couldn't have said it better.

Ron, please don't misunderstand my earlier comments.  I didn't mean any disrespect at all to anyone who enjoys doing that sort of thing.  It's just not my cup of tea.  Sounds like the wife and you have a great time and for that I say good for you guys!  I hope you get that elusive Grand Championship in 2010.

KyNola

squirtthecat

Ron, let us know where you are competing next year...   You might see some not-so-familiar faces show up.

ronbeaux

There's no harm done. Not at all. It's just what I like to do.

As far as next year I can list some that I know I'll make. When the IBCA calendar is updated I can give dates.

http://www.ibcabbq.org/events2010/Year.html

Port Allen
Ponchatoula
Jennings
Lafayette
Baton Rouge
Gonzalas
Grand Coteau
Alexandria
Marksville
DeRider

All of them are less than a 3 hour ride. We get there Friday afternoon and get set up, and leave out on a Sunday. I only have to take 1/2 day of vacation at a time.