I have a deer I need to make into sausge

Started by Bavind, December 03, 2009, 08:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bavind

I am new here and just found out me buddy shot a deer this week and wants me to make sausage. I have the equipment but have never made before. He wants brat like sausage smoked in the Bradley. Any ideas of recipes, length of smoking, temps, type of biscuits, etc etc. Kind of urgent he wants it done this weekend and i still need to get supplies. Thanks for the help

Tenpoint5

Bavind,
Welcome to the forum. Your buddy probably isn't going to get all his deer ground, seasoned/cured, stuffed and smoked in two days. But here is a link that will take care of some of that venison. Venison Bologna
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

marauder11

From my experience i would take your time if you are new to making sausage. Even if he wants it all done right away. At the end a better tasting product will be more appreciated. Make a couple small batches of recipes this weekend decide if you like them. It would be a shame to make all your deer into sausage you or your buddy don't care for.

Quarlow

If you have to cut the meat all up and deboned it, bag it and freeze till next weekend.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

KevinG

If you're doing a whole deer, you'll have plenty of sausage to play with. I'd do small batches of different recipes, that way next year you'll know which ones hit the nail on the head and make more of them. I found that a lot of people like different types of sausage based on where they grew up. The type of wood, common practice was to use whatever wood is available in your area so people became accustomed to different flavors of wood based on where they grew up. Ask him if he has a preference, if not hickory is an old standby, but oak and Jim Beam are also good. Now that I'm in Arizona, I've also grown accustomed to Mesquite.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

OU812

If the deer anit ground I would start there and grind with the course blade then freeze in 5 lb packages. The flavor will be better after the meat has been frozen and will kill any nastys that might be in the meat.

If you havent made sausage before there are many kits out there that have every thing you need, including direstions, in one box. The High Mountain aint bad, Cabelas also have some pretty good ones. The nice thing about the kits is that the directions allow you to break it down to 5 lb batshes.

You can find the kits at Scheels, Bass Pro Shop, Cabelas or on line at Sausage Maker, Frisco Spices (where I get allot of mine) Allied Kenco, PS Seasonings, Mid-Western Research and Butcher Packer just to name a few.

If you have any questions along the way to sausage nirvana just ask.

Good luck and keep us posted how things are going for you.

KevinG

I agree, the kits do make life a lot easier, and you can modify them if not to your liking. One easy way is to mix it up and just fry a small piece and taste it. If you don't like it add whatever you think might be necessary to make it better. Once you get the hang of it, you'll probably want to switch to your own recipe.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

OU812

Good point Kevin on the frying a small piece to have a taste test.

drano

Bavind,
Freeze the deer, decide what recipe kits you want to buy, then make a 1/2 batch (or 2 half batches to try two tastes).
I debone my deer then freeze w/o grinding.  I mix about 1/2 deer and 1/2 pork butt. 
I cut the meat into about 1x1x5 inch strips, mix in spice and enough water to make it slimy, then grind. 

Smoke times can be quite long.  If I put three 3" diameter sticks that are about 5 lb each into my smoker, it can take 12-15 hours to get them to 152 deg internal temp.  That's why my next batch will be with 2" diameter casings--hoping to take less time.

good luck
drano

Huntnfreak

Since we are on the sausage stuffing topic, What kind of stuffer are you using?  I've been looking at getting one.  Do you like it? 

OU812

Quote from: Huntnfreak on December 05, 2009, 11:30:43 AM
Since we are on the sausage stuffing topic, What kind of stuffer are you using?  I've been looking at getting one.  Do you like it? 

I have the Cabela's 11 lb (Weston Supply) with the motor and love it. You can stuff anything but snack sticks with the motor and keep both hands free to make the sausage.

Bavind

I am using a Lem 1/2 hp grinder stuffer. I like it so far

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Huntnfreak on December 05, 2009, 11:30:43 AM
I have the Grizzly 5# work great for me! I have put about 600 pounds through mine. I think Nepas has probably a couple thousand through his 5#er.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

marauder11

I just got the L.E.M 5 Lbs with metal gears. It is a great unit.

Huntnfreak

Decisions, decisions.  I don't think I have ever seen anything Grizzly.  Amazon? or who carries them.  I've had good luck before with LEM stuff too.  Kinda leaning that way.