• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Obama Visits Allentown PA

Started by NePaSmoKer, December 04, 2009, 04:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

For those of you that don't know. My wife is a supervisor/ATC at Allentown INT (ABE)

Obama was in town today and my wife got her pic taken in front of Air Force One. I should have the photo tomorrow sometime and i will post it.

She has been an ATC for 23 years and has done allot of cool stuff like flying in a T-38 Jet, spent 3 days on the USS Constellation (CV-64) in the Pacific watching air ops and helping the ATF catch bad guys landing at a remote air strip in the Mojave desert.

I'm pretty proud of her  ;D

nepas

ronbeaux

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

Ka Honu

nepas - ATC is a great job.  I was a controller from '78-'86 (2 years in Kona Tower, 6 in Honolulu Center).  Good fun except for the (in those days) terrible first-line supervision. 

Back then, promotion was usually either to reward someone for being a good controller (and who therefore, by definition, would make a lousy supervisor) or to get bad controllers off the floor before they killed someone.  I'm told the FAA is better at training and selecting now.  I also hear they pay a lot more.

Anyway, while we're on the subject of the Prez, can you use your influence to get him to attend a smokeout at your place during the holidays?  He's scheduled to come out here and it screws up my life.  He stays on the beach where the rich people live (about 2 miles from my place) so several hundred yards of beach are closed off, traffic is always stopped, rerouted, or otherwise screwed up to accommodate him, the Secret Service guys and cops take over my neighborhood coffee shop, and he essentially closes my neighborhood gym (on Kaneohe Marine base) for two hours every morning.  Politics aside, I wish him well - I just wish he would be well somewhere else (although it would be sort of interesting if he attended my New Years Day open house).

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Ka Honu on December 04, 2009, 05:42:56 PM
nepas - ATC is a great job.  I was a controller from '78-'86 (2 years in Kona Tower, 6 in Honolulu Center).  Good fun except for the (in those days) terrible first-line supervision. 

Back then, promotion was usually either to reward someone for being a good controller (and who therefore, by definition, would make a lousy supervisor) or to get bad controllers off the floor before they killed someone.  I'm told the FAA is better at training and selecting now.  I also hear they pay a lot more.

Anyway, while we're on the subject of the Prez, can you use your influence to get him to attend a smokeout at your place during the holidays?  He's scheduled to come out here and it screws up my life.  He stays on the beach where the rich people live (about 2 miles from my place) so several hundred yards of beach are closed off, traffic is always stopped, rerouted, or otherwise screwed up to accommodate him, the Secret Service guys and cops take over my neighborhood coffee shop, and he essentially closes my neighborhood gym (on Kaneohe Marine base) for two hours every morning.  Politics aside, I wish him well - I just wish he would be well somewhere else (although it would be sort of interesting if he attended my New Years Day open house).

KH

I would but when i voted i voted for a HERO not a HANDOUT. Thats all i gotta say about that.

nepas

squirtthecat

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 04, 2009, 04:44:03 PM

I'm pretty proud of her  ;D

nepas

Good for her, Nepas!

AF1 has been in Springfield twice now.  It is an impressive bird...  Got to see it fly over our office once after takeoff.

Ka Honu

Geez nepas, a guy asks for one small favor and you get all dramatic!  I was hoping you would look forward to the opportunity to teach him the difference between getting stuff because you deserve it (because you've worked for it or done something for someone else) and getting stuff just because you are physically located in the US.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Ka Honu on December 04, 2009, 06:56:08 PM
Geez nepas, a guy asks for one small favor and you get all dramatic!  I was hoping you would look forward to the opportunity to teach him the difference between getting stuff because you deserve it (because you've worked for it or done something for someone else) and getting stuff just because you are physically located in the US.

Sorry KH

Dont mean to sound gretzy, he is just not keeping his promise like he said. Guess i should expect that by now.

Here is the photo. She is in front shivering  :D

nepas

Hopefull Romantic

Nepas that is one impressive photo.

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

lumpy

He came to Canada first ;D ;D

Lumpy

Tenpoint5

Nice picture!! Sure the kids will like that MOM got to meet their Boss.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

lumpy

carnie1

Thats a real cool pic, speaking of shivering did you enjoy the snow today?????

Caribou

How exciting Nepas!
What a great picture  :)
Carolyn