• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First Smoke in OBS

Started by madtown, December 06, 2009, 02:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madtown

Trying out my new OBS with my first smoke.  A couple racks of babybacks, my wife's favorite, and some pheasant breasts.  The ribs have olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper.  We are going to start with that and try rub later.  Similar with pheasant but planning on turning those into some ABTs.  Sure be good eats for the Vikes game tonight.

The hunting is good right now in South Dakota but the weather is a little cool.  I put a large dish of water hoping on maintaing temp.  I couldn't find any bricks.  I don't know how well it will work outside but my garage does have the proper ventilation. I am not sure if I loaded the pictures right....we'll see

/Users/Malone/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Dec 6, 2009/IMG_1182.JPG
/Users/Malone/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Dec 6, 2009/IMG_1183.JPG
/Users/Malone/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Dec 6, 2009/IMG_1184.JPG
/Users/Malone/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2009/Dec 6, 2009/IMG_1185.JPG

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum madtown!

Sounds like a plan.

You can find information on posting pictures here:

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

madtown

Thanks for the help!

I took the pheasant out and it was a little dry but it is pheasant.  I probably should have wrapped them in bacon and put them on a higher rack or possibly rotated.  There is always next time.  I couldn't get the temp up over 185 on the OSB once the meat was in.  I smoked the ribs for three hours and going to foil with some apple juice and sauce in the oven due to temp drop.

Atomic buffalos are in the smoker.

KevinG

Quote from: madtown on December 06, 2009, 02:05:47 PM
The hunting is good right now in South Dakota but the weather is a little cool. 

10 degrees is a little cool  ??? Hate to see what you call nippy!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Hopefull Romantic

Hey madtown and good luck with the ribs and breasts (did that come out right  ::) ;D)

That last picture of your smoker will be that last you see it that shiny.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

smokeitall

Wow I forgot what a new shiny one looked like ;D  Good lookin food there madtown.
SIA

classicrockgriller

I admire your "want to" smoke attitude, but I'd be in the house sitting on my hands. Brrrrrrrrr

Welcome to the Forum and better luck on the weather for your next smoke.

KyNola

Way to go Madtown.  I'm liking what I'm seeing for your first go at it.

Looking forward to seeing what's next!

KyNola

watchdog56

Welcome madtown but it does not look like you seasoned your smoker first? Well it is seasoned now so taste will only get better.

Pachanga

Madtown,

Thank you for posting.  Welcome.

QuoteI took the pheasant out and it was a little dry but it is pheasant.

I always brine my pheasant. It helps with the moisture tremendously. Try this and you will not be disappointed. Brine Pachanga.  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12644.0

QuoteThe hunting is good right now in South Dakota but the weather is a little cool.
I will not allow my dogs to know about this part of your post.  They have not been on pheasant for 3 years now.  You, on the other hand, are right in the middle of the some of the best pheasant hunting in the nation.  A beautiful sight is your bird dog on a hard point winding a huddled up cock.  Then the thundering wings and cackle right before you pull the trigger.  I guess Texas Bobwhite Quail will have to do for this season. 

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga