Homemade Sausage Bags

Started by NePaSmoKer, December 06, 2009, 07:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 08, 2009, 09:49:34 PM
Bags look good Nepas. I take it you like that bologna recipe then.

Thanks Chris

Yeah i like your recipe too.

Here are the bags ready to get smoke. I was surprised that they did not leak any liquids whil in the fridge.

My PID is working hard this month  ;D

:D
Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 08, 2009, 10:48:29 PM
Everytime I look at this thread title ( Homemade Sausage Bags ) I think about my 3 SIL's

I bet they could make the bags fast.

nepas

Roadking

Great job Rick! I've seen those bags when I was a kid (long, long time ago)  ;D  Just can't put my finger on it, I think it was in an Italian deli and they had hard salami in them. Really not too sure though.
But your's do bring back some memories.

NePaSmoKer

Thanks Al

There are a few Amish meat guys that have bologna in bags like this at the Green Dragon.

The cold is really making it a slow go today.

nepas

Tenpoint5

May be slow going but the outcome will be good!! Have you hit your bologna with any smoke yet? or have you just been cooking it in the smoker. If it is taking too long you could try cooking it in the oven inside the house.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 09, 2009, 10:13:41 AM
May be slow going but the outcome will be good!! Have you hit your bologna with any smoke yet? or have you just been cooking it in the smoker. If it is taking too long you could try cooking it in the oven inside the house.

I had to pump the PID up to 170* so now they are starting to gain some temp.

This is with 1 cup of Alder pellets (about 45 mins of smoke) i just added another 1/2 cup to the burner and rotated the smoke stick so they get even smoke.

nepas

sodak

To paraphrase who was it?  Arcs-n-Sparks?  Observing from a distance...and drinking drooling.

I am going to try the cloth bag thing this week.  Great thread Nepas.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: sodak on December 09, 2009, 02:39:28 PM
To paraphrase who was it?  Arcs-n-Sparks?  Observing from a distance...and drinking drooling.

I am going to try the cloth bag thing this week.  Great thread Nepas.

Thanks sodak

I got the bologna cooling now. Cant wait to open one up  ;D  I did get a small bleed thru where i kept poking my thermapen.

nepas

Quarlow

Very cool NePaS and it looks like you got a fair amount of shrinking so that answers my questions as to how you get it in and out of the bag.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Quarlow on December 09, 2009, 03:43:46 PM
Very cool NePaS and it looks like you got a fair amount of shrinking so that answers my questions as to how you get it in and out of the bag.

I used my stuffer like i would on collagen casings.

The following are how to get em out  ;D

Just rip em open

As you can see smoke penetration was throughout

Nice color taste and moist without using any type of hot water bath.

MMMMMMMM

Looking for some smoked cheese to go with it now  ;D

The applications and shape of the bags are endless. I think i'm going to try to make a beer bottle shape  ;D

Would i reuse the bags? No. Easier and safer to use a new one next time.

Thanks 10.5 for a great bologna recipe.

nepas

Quarlow

That is very cool, very cool. Would you do say summer sausage like this. I don't care for bologna, and could you hand stuff them. I don't have any equipment for stuffing.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Roadking

Quarlow, Get yourself a plastic funnel with a wide end. The mason jar funnels would work, it'll just take you a bit longer to get the job done.

Rick, They sure look good. The bottle idea is pretty cool and would make pretty neat Christmas gifts.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Quarlow on December 09, 2009, 04:23:24 PM
That is very cool, very cool. Would you do say summer sausage like this. I don't care for bologna, and could you hand stuff them. I don't have any equipment for stuffing.
Quarlow,
The recipe I posted tastes more like a salami or summer sausage, than it does bologna. IMHO it doesn't even come close to tasting like any bologna you would buy in the store. That is in a good way.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Quarlow

Ok that sounds good. My mother stigmatized me as a child with bologna. It was bologna sandwhiches,bologna on crackers and the worst of all..........fried bologna ewww ahhh gag I have a hard time even typing that last one. I think I will try this SALAMI in a bag. Thanks.

OBS
BBQ

lumpy

Rick or Chris
Could either one of you post the recipie.
Thanks

Lumpy

NePaSmoKer

This came out like lebanon bologna. I like it  ;D

nepas