jerky ready for the bradly

Started by dbondy, December 07, 2009, 05:41:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbondy

Hi guys and gals, just sliced up 5lbs of round roast. I seasoned it with a eastmans whisky pepper kit and added some extra spice as well.
Here are a few pics to start, will post more later. ;) ;)

cut into smaller chunks and put in the freezer to stiffen up

sliced and cured in the ice box for 24 hours, then put on racks for the bradly

dbondy

Heres a couple of finished pics , It came out pretty good. I used two hours of hickery, but next time going to try chery or apple.

outdoorsfellar

Very impressive. I'm going to be using the same method with eye of the round in a few days when my cure arrives. Did you enjoy the hickory flavor enough or are you just wanting to try a different wood next time to experiment ? What was your OBS temp & what was your total cooking time ?

FLBentRider

That looks good.

Did you use the Bradley for the whole thing or transfer to a dehydrator after the smoke was done?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

dbondy

Hi outdoorsfeller, I liked the hickery but found it a bit strong. Plus it seems the more I use chery the I like it. After the jerky surface dried at 120,
I started the SG and ran at 150 for 2 hours, then rotated the racks every hour and held temp at 150. The vent was wide open the full time, and I didn,t put any water in the bowl as was sugested from the guys on the forum. Total time in the bradly was about 7 hours, but had to finish in the oven today for another 2hours at 180. I would of finished it in the bradly, but my lovely wife pulled the plug because we had dinner plans and were running late. ;D ;D

dbondy

Thanks FLBentRider, I would of keep it the bradly the whole time but we had dinner plans and my wife pulled the plug.( didn,t want to get her mad because she buying a pid controller for xmass) ;D ;D ;D

FLBentRider

Quote from: dbondy on December 07, 2009, 11:05:03 AM
Thanks FLBentRider, I would of keep it the bradly the whole time but we had dinner plans and my wife pulled the plug.( didn,t want to get her mad because she buying a pid controller for xmass) ;D ;D ;D

I guess that lets her off the hook then.

Next time I am going to smoke then into the 80L
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

dbondy

Sounds like a great plan FLBentRider, I think my next toy is either dehydrator or a new vac sealer(wore out the old sealer on freezing fish). Buy the way thanks for the idea for using the round roast and garlic pepper trick. :D :D

outdoorsfellar

She's buying you a PID ?? That's great, but man o man, you'll be at her beckoning for a good while now I bet  & you certainly don't want her to cancel that order !.... LOL.

NePaSmoKer

dbondy

Thanks NEPAS' it was some of your posts and pics that got me going on the jerky thing.

dbondy

Hey outdoorsfeller I,ll be sure to good this year, but I already know its on the way because she forgot to hide the credit card statement from auber.LOL ;D ;D

OU812

Nice job on the jerky dbondy, looks real good.

I made some ground jerky this weekend, not in the smoker though.

ronbeaux

OK. So you CAN take it all the way on the Bradley??? Need an answer cause I got a dehydrator and an oven, I would just rather do it in the Bradley.

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

OU812

Yes you can go start to finish in the Bradley. Just keep the temp around 150 F and the vent wide open, you want to dry it not cook it.