It's In The Bag

Started by wyogoob, December 08, 2009, 12:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyogoob

I like the new vacuumm packaging on meat these days. 

Slice the ends of the plastic bag and then pump your meat as normal. The bag pressures up even though the plastic bag has holes on each end. After an hour all the positive pressure subsides, tell me the brine worked its way into the nicely. Natutrally some leaks out the end, but not as much as you would think. I'll leave the bag for a couple hours the cut it off before I put the meat in the fridge to cure.

It's speeds up wet-brining of hams, Canadian Bacon, pastrami or corned beef.....even chickens and turkeys

Try it!
Life's been good to me so far.

classicrockgriller

I'm old and don't think straight, can you explain that one more time.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 08, 2009, 12:47:36 PM
I'm old and don't think straight, can you explain that one more time.

yes pleeeeeese
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Tenpoint5

Guys if I interpreted that correctly. It translates to leaving the meat in the cryovac packaging it causes the brine injection to be forced into the meat because the meat can't swell and allow the brine to pool in one area. Like if you think about blowing a balloon up inside a toilet paper tube. The side keep the balloon from expanding out. I may be way off but a couple of beers will do that.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

:D

i guess its just me  :D

Slice the ends of the plastic bag and then pump your meat as normal   :D

Quarlow

Oh NePaS goes straight to the gutter. ;D ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

KyNola

The only translation I understand is NePaS's. :)

I'm sorry but I'm not getting the point of the original post.  If you are going to inject the meat in the cryovac bag, why bother to cut both ends of the bag open?  Why not just pierce the end of the bag with the injector needle?  Wouldn't the bag hold the marinade better if the ends were not split completely open? 

Not being critical at all.  I just don't understand the theory.

KyNola 

classicrockgriller

Quote from: KyNola on December 08, 2009, 08:41:56 PM

I'm sorry but I'm not getting the point of the original post.  If you are going to inject the meat in the cryovac bag, why bother to cut both ends of the bag open?  Why not just pierce the end of the bag with the injector needle?  Wouldn't the bag hold the marinade better if the ends were not split completely open? 

KyNola 

I'm on his side

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 08, 2009, 08:49:45 PM
Quote from: KyNola on December 08, 2009, 08:41:56 PM

KyNola 

I'm on his side

Yeah me too

Tenpoint5

I dont know either was just trying to figure it out myself. Unless you open the bag to release the water brine the packing house pumps them with. I prefer freah whole loins myself.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

Quote from: wyogoob on December 08, 2009, 12:16:55 PM
I like the new vacuumm packaging on meat these days. 

Slice the ends of the plastic bag and then pump your meat as normal. The bag pressures up even though the plastic bag has holes on each end. After an hour all the positive pressure subsides, tell me the brine worked its way into the nicely. Natutrally some leaks out the end, but not as much as you would think. I'll leave the bag for a couple hours the cut it off before I put the meat in the fridge to cure.

It's speeds up wet-brining of hams, Canadian Bacon, pastrami or corned beef.....even chickens and turkeys

Try it!

Come back and give us a pictorial lesson. We be confused!

wyogoob

Really, cut a whole in the bag, insert the needle and inject the brine, The meat and the bag will expand or bulge (presure up). After you pull out the needle the meat will be puffed up for awhile where the needle holes were when you pumped it.

Try it.
Life's been good to me so far.