• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Was Iron Chef V, now is "Turkey Leftovers"..

Started by squirtthecat, December 08, 2009, 07:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seemore

Thanks!  I had to do two dishes, since I woosed out on the last Iron Chef.
And yes, Ronbeaux, those crusts are store-bought!
I am still trying to perfect pizza crust, so it will be a long, long time, if ever, that I attempt pie crust from scratch!
The lo mein was for my mom.  She used to make this dish with leftover Thanksgiving turkey.  However, she never would have used hot chili sauce in her version!   :o
I don't enter these contests to win;  I just like to cook.  And see what the others have done!

HawkeyeSmokes

June, both of your dish's look fantastic. But that turkey pot pie is a big time winner in my book. Take about some real comfort food! Thanks for the posts.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

Ka Honu

Quote from: seemore on December 11, 2009, 05:53:22 PMI am still trying to perfect pizza crust, so it will be a long, long time, if ever, that I attempt pie crust from scratch!

Pie crust is much easier than pizza crust (and you don't have to throw it up in the air and try to roll it down your arm).

Tenpoint5

Quote from: seemore on December 11, 2009, 05:53:22 PM
Thanks!  I had to do two dishes, since I woosed out on the last Iron Chef.
And yes, Ronbeaux, those crusts are store-bought!
I am still trying to perfect pizza crust, so it will be a long, long time, if ever, that I attempt pie crust from scratch!
The lo mein was for my mom.  She used to make this dish with leftover Thanksgiving turkey.  However, she never would have used hot chili sauce in her version!   :o
I don't enter these contests to win;  I just like to cook.  And see what the others have done!

AAAHHH Not Bad for a Beginner!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

OK, I'm late.  I don't know how I missed this thread before but it is truly great.  Some wonderful looking food here.  I've long since forgotten about my turkey.  The scratches from the cat attack in the kitchen are healing nicely.

Crust?  Check with Deb.  She could probably make a light and flaky crust out of a '71 VW Beetle.   ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Pachanga

Seemore,

I love turkey pot pie and your other dish looked fantastic.  There is certainly nothing wrong with using store crusts.  However, if you are interested, following is an excellent but easy crust.

This is an old family recipe from grandmother to mother to me.  It is called No Fail Pie Crust.  So far it has maintained its reputation.  The secrets are cold ingredients for easy handling and vinegar to keep it from being tough.  You will not taste the vinegar.  The acid in the the vinegar prevents too much gluten development so it can be handled and rehandled.  

I made a buttermilk pie for Thanksgiving.  My eighty year old mother in law asked how I got such a flaky crust.  She is a fine cook so that is a pretty good recommendation.  

Like Ka Honu says
QuotePie crust is much easier than pizza crust.

Pachanga's Family No Fail Pie Crust

3 cups  all purpose flour from freezer
1 1/4 cup very cold Crisco
1 teaspoon salt
scant ½ cup very cold water
1 egg
1 Tablespoon vinegar

Put 1 ¼ cup Crisco, 3 cups flour and scant ½ c water and 2 same-size pie tins or glass in the freezer (one if making a double crust for top and bottom).  Place cold flour and salt in a food processor. Pulse for 2-3 seconds 3-4 times.
Cut cold Crisco into 3-4 chunks and mix with flour/salt mixture by pulsing to a course cornmeal consistency.  Whisk egg and vinegar in a separate bowl.  Add egg/vinegar mix to flour/salt/Crisco. Pulse as little as possible to mix.  Add a little less than ½ c water.  Pulse as little as possible until well blended.  Place in freezer until needed.  Cut in half and roll out crust on a lightly floured surface. Fold in half and place in cold pie pan.  Flute edge and repair any holes or thin places with overhanging dough.  BE SURE TO DOCK (poke with a fork) YOUR CRUST BEFORE YOU ADD THE FILLING.  (can refrigerate for a few days)

makes 2 pie crusts or top and bottom.

Good luck and pretty pies,

Pachanga

Ka Honu

Pachanga

Ka Honu (aka Blue Writer, his Native American Indian name),

Fixed the error.  Thanks.  I need all the help I can get and more.

Good luck and error free (for now),

Pachanga

Habanero Smoker

Seemores;

Very creative on all dishes. I never thought of browning ramen noodles. I buy the noodles by the case, and the first thing I do when I open a package is to throw away the seasoning package.

There is nothing wrong with store bought pie crust. Though when I do make my pie crust I use a Cook's Illustrated recipe that has vodka in it, and that always comes out perfect.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

Awesome recipes everyone!

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 12, 2009, 01:26:07 AM
I buy the noodles by the case

me too, I have a college student ;D    I'll show him this recipe, it looks great.  I remember cooking on the floor of a friend's dorm room with an electric wok many years ago.

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 12, 2009, 01:26:07 AM
Though when I do make my pie crust I use a Cook's Illustrated recipe that has vodka in it, and that always comes out perfect.

This is the recipe that I use too.  Though I have to admit there is a pillsbury crust in my fridge, they are decent.

Quote from: ArnieM on December 11, 2009, 09:13:09 PM

Crust?  Check with Deb.  She could probably make a light and flaky crust out of a '71 VW Beetle.   ;D

Jeez, I'm never going to be able to invite you over for food,  I don't know if I can live up to that reputation ;D

Habanero Smoker

Deb;

I have a cookbook that has several recipes of what to do with Ramen noodles after you discard the seasoning. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

seemore

You guys (and ga) are great!   You are so encouraging and positive
I will try the pie crust, Pachanga.  I don't know about the one with vodka  - I will have to see if there is any left after my Bloody Marys!

ronbeaux

You do know I was kidding about the pie crusts??? You did a fabulous job on those two entries.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

deb415611

Quote from: seemore on December 12, 2009, 02:58:08 PM
You guys (and ga) are great!   You are so encouraging and positive
I will try the pie crust, Pachanga.  I don't know about the one with vodka  - I will have to see if there is any left after my Bloody Marys!

It gives you a reason to go to the liquor store :D  Need vodka for cooking ;D

deb415611

June - we are having turkey pot pie for dinner.  Thanks for the idea!

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 12, 2009, 01:26:29 PM
Deb;

I have a cookbook that has several recipes of what to do with Ramen noodles after you discard the seasoning. :)

Habs - what the name?  Right now my son is limited to microwave use but I could see him branching out later on. 

Thanks,
deb