• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

I'm not happy with my ribs ....

Started by outdoorsfellar, December 10, 2009, 09:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsfellar

Last week I got around to doing up some ribs, following the 10.5 way. 220 degrees, smoked for 3 hrs, then in the foil with apple juice for 1 hr45 min & then another hr1/2 w/ sauce. I really wasn't sure they were done, & they were more stiff than I thought they'd be. I put the other 1/2 back in for two hrs just the same. At what point, should they be tender enough that the meat will come off the bone easily ? The meat never did pull back, exposing any bones. Here's a pic after six hrs, even when I pulled them from the foil, they seemed rigid moreso than I liked.

I've had ribs before that others fixed up & to be honest, there's no difference in any tenderness like mine, so I don't know if I'm expecting too much or what the heck I'm doing wrong.   Any suggestions ??

classicrockgriller

odf, the times I have used 10.5 method mine were great.

they almost look over cooked.

you are not going to get bigtime pull back foiling and keeping them moist

KevinG

Seems like it may be a little too long with the sauce, I thought that was only supposed to be on for about 15 minutes.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

it 3-2-1

3 hrs of smoke
2 hrs of foil
1 hr cook

The last hr is when you add sauce.

Gizmo

If you still have them, it is not too late.
I would suggest wrapping in foil with some liquid and heat (just use the house oven) at 250 to 275 for 1.5 more hours.  You can peak after an hour as them may be done, but they should fall off the bone by that point.  They look like they just need a little more love.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

outdoorsfellar

Thanks for the replies ! I will keep the " 3-2-1 " in mind next time. The ribs have been eaten.... they WERE good just the same, I just wasn't thrilled with the rigidness. I wonder if I bring the heat down a bit would help as well, or just leave it at 220.

classicrockgriller

KyNola

I'm thinking it's not a timing issue as he only went 15 minutes more than the standard 3-2-1.  I'm wondering instead if it is a temp issue and if they were really being cooked at 220.  Would be helpful to know how the temp was being monitored.

CRG, I always have the meat pull back even when using the foiling method. Perhaps not as much as when not foiling but it pulls back nonetheless.

I don't think they're overcooked.  I think they're undercooked.

KyNola

FLBentRider

To add to what KyNola said - I use the 5-6 hour cook on baby backs.

Spare ribs often take longer.

I aslo get the same pull back foiled or not. Sometimes they just pull back more than others, even when they are "Fall of the bone"

I would vote undercooked.

Where were you measuring the 220F ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Roadking

Cooking Ribs My Way with a Digital Bradley Smoker -  Original recipe from Amazing Ribs

Remove the diaphragm meat from the concave side of the ribs. Don't throw this away save it for sausage meat or cook it while cooking the ribs.
Remove the silver skin from the concave side of the ribs. Just push a finger under it and it'll come off with some persuasion.
Trim off any excess fat. Some people will trim off some of the thick meat so the ribs cook evenly I leave it on. Never had a problem with it.
Ribs are ready for your favorite rub. Cut racks of ribs in half to fit on smoker racks
Coat the ribs with a light coat of cooking oil or mustard and then apply your favorite rub. Apply the rub a minimum of 2 hours before going into smoker
Ribs should now be at room temperature before putting into smoker.
Preheat your smoker to 225ºF and preheat you smoke generator plate.
Fill the bowl with water 2/3 full and place in smoker.
Place your ribs in the smoker and close the door. Here's what I do now with the smoker and generator preheated. Pull the plug out of the wall and put it back in. Turn the smoker back on and load your favorite wood pucks and set the smoke generator to your desired time of smoking (I use 6 puck or 2 hours plus 2 Bubba pucks home made) and get the first puck on the plate. Set the cabinet to 225ºF for 5 hours (check note below). The reason I pull the plug is not to put a puck on the plate when there is only 5-6 minutes left of time to burn the puck. Did you ever clean up and notice two or three pucks are not burned completely? Wal-la, so I like to start the cycle from the beginning.
Don't open the door for 3 hours if cooking St. Louis Cut ribs (2 hours for baby backs). After the 3 hours (or the 2 hour for the BB ribs) take a peek and grab one of those pieces of diaphragm meat (if you put them on the racks to cook with the ribs, just a cooks bonus) and check the ends of the ribs to see how far back the meat is shrinking back.
Now is a good time to spray the ribs with some apple juice if you like. An alternative is to take the ribs and put them into a foil boat and pour 1 cup of apple juice into the boat (don't pour on the ribs) and seal the boat to steam the ribs for 30-60 minutes.
Remove ribs from boat and coat with your favorite BBQ sauce. Your can either finish this last 30 minutes with the sauce in the smoker, on a grill or in the house oven. I leave them in the smoker.Your ribs are done a good indication is the rib has pulled back on the bone. We're looking for ¼" or more.

Note: Cooking time - 5 hours for St. Louis Cut ribs and 3 hours for baby backs.

I did this recipe with six full racks of ribs and the time extended to an additional 3 hours to cook the ribs. The above recipe worked good for 1 rack of ribs.

http://www.thebrunofamilysite.com/smoke_house/recipes/pork/print/ribs_in_bradley_print.htm

classicrockgriller

Quote from: KyNola on December 11, 2009, 06:52:58 AM
I'm thinking it's not a timing issue as he only went 15 minutes more than the standard 3-2-1.  I'm wondering instead if it is a temp issue and if they were really being cooked at 220.  Would be helpful to know how the temp was being monitored.

CRG, I always have the meat pull back even when using the foiling method. Perhaps not as much as when not foiling but it pulls back nonetheless.

I don't think they're overcooked.  I think they're undercooked.

KyNola

What I posted is that you will not get big time pull back and 7 hrs of cooking should be enough.

KyNola

Sorry CRG.   I obviously misinterpreted your post.

KyNola

outdoorsfellar

I use a PID with my OBS. When I boated the ribs, I did pour onto the meat as well a bit. Is that  a no no ? Also, I didn't seal the foil completely, though it was covered pretty good. Other than that, I pretty much followed the 10.5 method to a tee.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: KyNola on December 11, 2009, 09:38:58 AM
Sorry CRG.   I obviously misinterpreted your post.

KyNola

I wasn't trying to be rude, although it did kinda sound like it. Ky Nola, It's all good. No applogy is necessary amoung friends.

Pachanga

Outdoorsfellar,

I am reading a lot of good advice and commentary from knowledgeable people.  As if you don't have enough words thrown your way already and at the risk of not adding to the conversation, I submit the following.

My two cents worth (no refunds) is that the ribs were not ready to come out yet.  When ribs decide to loosen up, it happens quickly.  Faster for some ribs than others.  They can go from tough to falling off the bone in a few minutes.  It is the science of slow smoking.  Certain temperatures must be reached and maintained for connective tissue to change its composition.  Lack of pull back on the bone is an indication of connective tissue that has not been sufficiently heated for a long enough time period to reach optimum time and temperature for the change to take place.

As KyNola mentioned previously, the temperature in the smoker was probably lower than recommended by Tenpoint.  When that lower temperature is extrapolated out over several hours, an hour or more may have to be added to Tenpoint's time frame. This is not even counting other variables such as heat recovery  x the number of door openings, vent opening, adding cold water, basting evaporation, meat load, temperature of the meat as it goes into the smoker, etc.  While I use a different method, I know his directions work well and many use them with consistent success.  Not achieving the proper heat range and time will have the same effect, no matter which method is used.

Over the years, with less than an hour to spare, I have sweated with the choice of dinner not being on time or I having to serve tough ribs. Crank the heat up a little and thirty minutes later, they are perfect and I act like I know what I am doing.

Good luck and longer smoking,

Pachanga