Hello from Orange County, NY

Started by Max, December 12, 2009, 07:38:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max

Got surprised yesterday with an early Christmas gift from my boss - OBS 4 Rack model. Complete with a variety puck-pack and a weather cover! Actually, the gift was really for my 10 year anniversary with the company. Two other guys I work with got one too. Just this morning set it up next to my Weber Q grill on the back porch. It's almost done with the first seasoning as I type this. I know I'll have some questions, but first I'll do some searching and reading of the already good info in these forums. Happy smoking!

KyNola

Max,
Welcome to the forum!  What a cool boss to give you such a great gift.  You are going to love your OBS and the folks on this forum.  No doubt you will have many questions so don't fail to ask.  There are no dumb questions and I guarantee you can't come up with one that we haven't already asked.

So have fun and tell us what your first smoke is going to be.

KyNola

squirtthecat

That is an awesome gift!   I got a plaque for my 10th year..   :-\

It'll be a nice complement to your lil' Q.

As long as you can control the wind blowing through there, you'll be able to run that sucker all year round.

Max

QuoteAs long as you can control the wind blowing through there, you'll be able to run that sucker all year round.

I might pickup some 1/4" sheets of Durock and a couple of 2x4's. Build a little cubicle for it if the wind becomes a problem.

ArnieM

Hi Max and welcome to the forum!  Great gift.  Where do I send my resume  ??? ;D

Don't close the OBS in too much.  You'll end up with a lot of smoke in the house.  Some people (Yes dear, coming.) don't care for it all that much.

There's a wealth of info here.  Also check out susanminor.org, the recipe site.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

MPTubbs

Welcome Max.

Just got my 6 rack from the wife (early Christmas present also) and I'm smok'n 4 chickens and about 8 pounds of veggies right now.

I have my smokier in the garage to keep it out of the wind and it's working very good!

Your going to like that little beauty, I love mine.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

Max

All finished with the seasoning stage. Now off to the store to buy some meat. My first attempt is going to be pork spare ribs. I'm going to use the 3-2-1 method because it looks easy and I already make some pretty good ribs on my gas grill *gasp* using a similar method. At least I can throw out that bottle of Liquid Smoke now.

I'm only cooking for myself and my wife, so I don't want to cook huge amounts of just one thing. I'm thinking a rack or two of ribs, but any ideas of something else I can throw in there that makes sense as far of temp and cook time along with the ribs? If it's something I need to pull out early that's ok. I'm thinking some chicken legs, good idea? Part of me says, just keep it simple and stick to one thing for the first run. But the other part says GO FOR IT!

Planning on using the Hickory pucks, but open to suggestions. I have the puck variety pack, so I have 12 pucks of each type, except only 8 of the Maple, which I used to season. I somehow burned an extra puck while seasoning because it is not in the mag and I can't see it even when I look towards the mag opening from the inside. One in the chamber? I don't know, the loader is quite a mystery to me.

- Max

squirtthecat

Quote from: Max on December 12, 2009, 09:22:05 AM
All finished with the seasoning stage. Now off to the store to buy some meat. My first attempt is going to be pork spare ribs. I'm going to use the 3-2-1 method because it looks easy and I already make some pretty good ribs on my gas grill *gasp* using a similar method. At least I can throw out that bottle of Liquid Smoke now.

I'm only cooking for myself and my wife, so I don't want to cook huge amounts of just one thing. I'm thinking a rack or two of ribs, but any ideas of something else I can throw in there that makes sense as far of temp and cook time along with the ribs? If it's something I need to pull out early that's ok. I'm thinking some chicken legs, good idea? Part of me says, just keep it simple and stick to one thing for the first run. But the other part says GO FOR IT!

Planning on using the Hickory pucks, but open to suggestions. I have the puck variety pack, so I have 12 pucks of each type, except only 8 of the Maple, which I used to season. I somehow burned an extra puck while seasoning because it is not in the mag and I can't see it even when I look towards the mag opening from the inside. One in the chamber? I don't know, the loader is quite a mystery to me.

- Max

Real easy & fun:   Get some frozen meatballs and let them thaw a bit.  Wrap in bacon (I use turkey bacon, but that's my preference), secure w/ a toothpick and hit with 90 minutes smoke/heat.   Splash on some BBQ sauce and let them go for another 30-40 minutes.   MOINK balls!  (moo+oink)

Do a search on 'bubba pucks' on the forum.  They are aluminum/stainless steel slugs that will push all of the wood pucks through so you don't waste any.

Hopefull Romantic

Hi Max and welcome to the forum.

As others have said there is a wealth of smoking info here and the greatest bunch of people in the galaxy

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

Welcome aboard Max! Wow, wish my boss would be that generous.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Max

My original plan for my 1st smoke was pork spare ribs using 3-2-1 method. But after a trip to the grocery store, I had limited choices. Here's what I have to work with, and I am hoping I can cook it all together.

1 Rack of baby back ribs
3 turkey drumsticks
6 jalapeƱo peppers

I know that's not a lot of food considering the amount of space in the smoker. But again, it is only me and my wife here. I'm assuming the 3-2-1 method will have to modified. What works with baby backs, 2-2-1, 3-1-.5? Also, when folks say "spash with apple juice and wrap in foil" , how much is a splash? Are we talking a tablespoon of juice or a 1/4 cup?

Ribs - I'm going to peel the membrane off, apply dry rub, then let sit in fridge overnight.

Turkey legs - I'm assuming it is best to brine them, then rinse and maybe apply some seasoning to the skin a few hours before smoking?

JalapeƱos - Going to take out the core/seeds and stuff with shredded cheddar and cream cheese mixture. I'm not exactly comfortable yet calling them ABT's :)

Any advice on the logistics of the above? Am I creating an inevitable disaster?

I also have the Weber Q right next to the smoker, so it's not a problem to take something out of the smoker and throw on the grill to finish or vice versa. Although doing it all in the smoker would be nice but I am not sure the three things will all jive at the same temp.

Advice would be much appreciated!

Max

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

3-2-1 again for the baby backs...     Splash is just that, maybe a T or so.  Not a 'glug'.

Brine the turkey legs, smoke, and then crisp them on the 'Q'.  The skin might be a bit rubbery, but you'll get the hang of it..
(worst case, toss the skin after the cook)

Do you have a probe thermometer?

Max

Thanks Squirt. I thought I'd have to finish the turkey legs on the Q.

Any thoughts on what racks to put these items, what config would work best?

Oh, and I do have a digital probe thermometer, but not the kind that I can tether to a base and leave in the smoker while cooking. I need to invest in one of those.

Max