Hey there smokers!

Started by sergtech, December 12, 2009, 01:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sergtech

Just stopping by to say hello and read though the forums for some tips and tricks. Just plugged up the new 4 rack digital smoker. Hoping to get real world tips and tricks on this smoker. We all know its one thing to read the manual and another to understand the real world scenarios about a device. Anyway, hello to all!

Sergio

KevinG

Welcome aboard Sergio. Make sure you pre-smoke that new toy. Any questions you have feel free to ask. Plenty of knowledgeable people here waiting to help!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

hal4uk

Welcome, Sergio!

Here's a real world tip: Add "fire extinguisher" to your accessories list ;-)
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Quarlow

Oh Hal, you know you have never set anything to flames in the bradley. ;D ;D. Welcome aboard sergetech, The first and for most rule is never close your vent. Keep it atleast half way open for most things and all the way open for poultry. You have to let the smoke flow through and allow the moisture to escape. Moist air is hard to heat. If you don't have it open enough the smoke will back up through the smoke generator and really make a mess of it. Also you will end up with the moisture causing basicly a black rain inside which will drip on the food with ill effects.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

seemore

sergtech

Well, off to a bad start. seasoned the smoker or so I thought. smoker works. burned the wood perfectly. But oven temp not going up at all. Almost like the heating element is bad. did a quick scan for element issues in the forum. basically it works or it's dud right?

KevinG

Yea, I believe so, but I would check your wiring connections. There have been a lot of times they just don't seat properly. Sometimes the plastic will have a little lip that peels over when you plug it in. Make sure the openings are clear (while unplugged), and the connections are clean.

sergtech

wiring in the smoke generator box? or behind the tower?

KevinG

No, behind the tower, but I did read some posts earlier where people have had connection problems on the inside. I wouldn't mess with that without contacting Brian first though.

KyNola

The tower receives it's power via the smoke generator.  Make certain the power cord that goes from the generator to the tower is firmly plugged in.  Unplug and replug to make sure you are connected.

KyNola

Hopefull Romantic

Welcome to the forum Serjio and hope you were able to geth through that problem.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

coreyd

I realized that just now while I was seasoning my smoker. The power jumper between the generator and the over wasn't tight on the back of the oven. Gave it a good push in and the oven element is glowing good and orange now. Can't wait to load these ribs in a few minutes!

ArnieM

Hi Sergio and welcome to the forum.

As others have said, make sure all of your external electrical connections are tight.  If you're using an extension cord, it should be as short as possible and heavy duty.  The $1.99 ones from the hardware store won't hack it. 

Also, as mentioned, keep the vent at least 3/4 open.  That sounds counter intuitive - letting the heat and smoke escape.  But it is necessary to let the moisture out.

Then there's the brick trick.  Foil one or two if you can fit 'em and keep 'em in the smoker.  That helps a lot with heat recovery after opening the door - which you should avoid.

Good luck.  Get back to us with your progress.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

sergtech

Tech 101. Always double check your connections. Well, it had to be it. All I did was disconnected all the wires and reconnected. Tower heating element is working now. Thanks! By the way, first WTS brisket in the BS complete. It was delicious! I by passed the apple soaking so it ended up a just a tad dryer than i would have liked. Over all, the smoke taste was perfect, seasoning just right, heat just right. I'm a full and happy camper tonight.

Sergio