• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smokin'/Grillin' Pavillion

Started by hal4uk, December 13, 2009, 10:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hal4uk

I'm planning a small smokin' & grillin' "pavillion".  I'm in the planning stages - I just want an area with a ROOF of some kind (thus "pavillion") to comfortably house a grill and a smoker.  (I'm not doing a "grand" outdoor kitchen with sinks/refrigerators/blah blah blah).  But, I do want lights, a ceiling fan for summer, and maybe some outdoor speakers ;-) 

Anyone ever built anything like this?
All ideas/suggestions appreciated....

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Tenpoint5

Hal,
I remember that someone on the ATB forum built on simular to what your talking about. I just can't remember who it was. Maybe Ronbeaux will remember who it was and will post a link to it.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

TMB

How much room do you have to work with?   Would you need to run water and power under ground to it?
If your bulding a shelter the you might want to consider a vent over the cookers.
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

KyNola

Hal, how 'bout one of those white Easy Up tents?  Oh wait....seems I saw a pic or two of your last Easy Up and a little Spring rain came through your area and destroyed it! ;) :D

KyNola

hal4uk

TMB - Well, It'll be out the back door kinda katty-corner to my deck, and there's a ton of space (lawn) but there's also a great view from the deck, and momma will kill me if this thing "juts out" too much - so, it's gotta be oblong - from my first measurements: probably with posts set making about 5' x 14' (roof will extend out further than that) - but that should be just "enough" considering I'd like some counter space and some storage.

One end will be close to the house, and I will have to run power - I could cheat (there's an outlet there on the house wall), but I'll need another circuit run for this (Figure lights and ceiling fan plus outlets for various things when partying - roasters, etc - great idea of Squirt's BTW - instead of monkeying with chafing dishes or such, we use electric roasters set on low for serving/holding).

Not worried about water - there's a faucet on that house wall, and I'm not doing a sink.  When I'm cooking/partying outside, I usually set a bucket of water to the side for quick hand rinses - and it's only a few steps inside to the kitchen.

What I'm picturing is a roof that's pretty high up ( maybe 10ft?) and partial walls in places that vary from about 4-6ft tall.  So, basically, it would be "open air" with enough "wallage" to block some wind and provide some protection from the elements for the equipment.

--KY - Yes, I'm thinking posts in concrete these days - and you know why!

Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

squirtthecat

Quote from: hal4uk on December 14, 2009, 06:49:52 PM
-KY - Yes, I'm thinking posts in concrete these days - and you know why!

hal4uk

Coulda been worse.  We didn't have locusts.
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

TMB

Yep, had that happen here brand new over hang ripped to shreds 1 week after installing. 

I had a friend build something like your talking about, his was 20 x 15 and had 1 side bricked with a fire place but 2 sides were open and butted up against the house. He had 6x6 post  in the ground and a 8 foot roof. Although his was not finished (sorta A frame) he did have 2 fans and was able to have enough room to build a counter and pad to put his grills on. If I can get pictures I'll post them. I wished the wife would let me have the room to let me build one.

hal4uk

TMB - Cool - I'd like to see that...
I'm thinking something like that - pour a pad for smoker/grill section, and then some flagstone under (and around) the rest...

I'd like to build one that size too  ;D  but if you look at the "disaster pics" you can see the end of the house and where the fence is - I gotta come out lengthwise from the house, alongside that fence, and not jutting out past the edge of the house. So, I gotta have it not so big - long and narrow, with "walled" areas nearer/higher at the house side (can't obstruct the view).  Also, there's the pesky gate there.  I'm figuring 8 posts, 4 on each side of the gate - so you could pass through, under the roof there.  It's kind of a tricky situation just for a smoker, grill, some counter and storage.
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Smokin Soon

I use a 12x20 Canopy for my cookhouse, but I have 2 story homes on both sides of me and they think it it somewhat "ghetto" looking. Guess who does not give a crap!!! I have the one with roll down sides and adjust according to wind direction. It works very well for My Bradley Dbs4, a Weber Genisus, Traeger Li'l Tex and 2 Char Broil Big Easy's. After a while the white plastic does get a little color to it from the smoke  but does not do any harm to the material. After loosing 2 of these to windstorms I changed my anchoring from the screw in the ground thingies to 6 concrete hollow blocks just bareley suspended at 6 points. It has survived 50 mph storms while cooking a load of butts or ribs, so "That's How We Roll"  ;D

hal4uk

Ohhh...  that canopy me & Squirt set up was just supposed to be temporary - but we tied it to concrete blocks anyway...
It threw 'em like nerf balls (but we got better than a 50MPH wind that day - I think it was a "micro-burst").

"ghetto looking" - LMAO
I'm kinda "hiding" at the end of the street, but...
I think I'll avoid that phrase if the "architectural committee" catches on to what I'm doing  ;)

"Of course I have all my permits, I've been sanctioned by Southern Living, and it will be utterly delightful..."

Pfffffffffffffffft...
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

TMB

Well I do have it better then you guys. I live on a farm with 2000 acres all around so I can be as GETTO as I want to.  ;D

hal4uk

Uhhh... How come everyone has "acres" except me?

Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

Quote from: hal4uk on December 18, 2009, 09:13:03 PM
Uhhh... How come everyone has "acres" except me?

cause daffy was a duck and minny was a mouse

hal4uk

I was just kidding...  I do have 0.66 acres...
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby