Ground venison jerky

Started by KyNola, December 14, 2009, 02:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Thanks to a friend of mine I now have 3 pounds of ground venison that I want to use to make jerky.  I will be using my jerky cannon to extrude the jerky.  Anyone have any good ideas, recipes or tips that I need to know as this will be my first attempt at working with venison and first time using the jerky cannon.

Thanks in advance,
       KyNola

squirtthecat

Watching with interest...  (I just picked up the LEM shooter this past weekend)

RAF128

I've made lot of jerky from ground venison.   Nothing to it.   I use Hi Mountain cure and seasonings.    I've always done mine in a dehydrator but plan to use my BDS next time.    It's amazing but when done it's just as tough as whole meat jerky.

NePaSmoKer

Larry

Is the venison already mixed with a meat/fat ratio?

If not you will need to have a 80/20 mix there abouts.  You dont have to use pork. GB can be used.

You have 3 lbs of venison you will need to mix in 1 1/4lbs of fat. Like 80/20  or 75/25 GB

nepas

OU812

When I do ground deer jerky I dont mix any thing in it but the seasonings and 1 oz distilled water per lb of meat then shoot it out and through it in the dehydrator.

See there is more than one way to skin a cat.  :D

A good seasoning mix to start with is the Back Woods Hot by LEM

RAF128

I never put any fat in jerky.   I go out of my way to trim any that's on the meat before grinding it.   

KyNola

Thanks for the replies.  NePaS, I'm not sure if it has any fat added to it or not.  My guess is no.

KyNola

FLBentRider

I understand why you would add fat for sausage, but why add to jerky?

I have not made Ground meat jerky, only whole muscle.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

Gotta agree on the no fat thing in jerky. Sausage yes needs fat, but jerky it can turn rancid.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

NePaSmoKer

I have never had rancid jerky even when using 80/20 GB. Its one of them its not good or safe smoke cop things.

Anyone who has done wild game knows the fat content is lower than domestic meat. Ground jerky should not be dry like whole strip jerky or its gets brittle.

But hey if thats your thing no worries

OU812

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 15, 2009, 08:02:42 PM
I have never had rancid jerky even when using 80/20 GB. Its one of them its not good or safe smoke cop things.

Anyone who has done wild game knows the fat content is lower than domestic meat. Ground jerky should not be dry like whole strip jerky or its gets brittle.

But hey if thats your thing no worries

I have made jerky with GB and have never had it go rancid on me eather.

I just like my deer jerky straight up and have never had it get brittle, just keep an eye on it and pull it out when it just starts to crack when you bend it. As it cools it will firm up a little more.

10 lb deer in the dehydrator set at 155 F for 6 hr works for me.

RAF128

If you put ground beef in with the venison it won't go rancid but if you put fat in it will.   My ground venison jerky is never brittle unless it's over done.   Usually 4 hours in my dehydrator does it.
I'll be using my Bradley next time.   I bought the jerky trays and they're a much finer mesh than the regular trays so it should work fine.

KevinG

No big deal, I'm not trying to argue, I'm just worried that it might taste funky after a little while, especially if it's not eaten right away or stored in a cool dark place. I'm not sure if ground beef has vitamin  C added or other preservatives, but maybe that explains why it's not going rancid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rancidification
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: KevinG on December 16, 2009, 07:26:13 AM
No big deal, I'm not trying to argue, I'm just worried that it might taste funky after a little while, especially if it's not eaten right away or stored in a cool dark place. I'm not sure if ground beef has vitamin  C added or other preservatives, but maybe that explains why it's not going rancid.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rancidification

No arguments taken, all is good. We all do our own things which is cool.  ;D When i ship jerky to my sons i spray it with PS to keep the nasties off of it.

PS  Potassium Sorbate.

nepas

OU812

No arguments meant or taken here.

Just goes to show how many ways and opinions there can be on one thing and thats the best thing about this place, every can join in and voice theres.

Good luck KyNola and keep us posted with your results.