Temp problems

Started by sloneker, December 15, 2009, 07:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sloneker

Hello, about a week ago I picked up a Bradley digital smoker.  Long story short I returned it today due to the inaccurate temperature readings and lack of temperature control.  I did however exchange it for a Bradley original smoker which I plan to control with a Auber PID.  I have hooked the OBS (no PID yet) up in my basement to play with the temp settings and once again I am disappointed.  What is the high/low temp range of this unit?  I believe the heating element should turn off when the temp control switch is all the way to the left but it does not.  Seems like regardless of the switch location the temp is about 250-275.  I have cooled the unit and restarted it several times and end up with the same problem.  The vent is open, I have verified the temp with an external temp probe.  Anybody have a suggestion or experience with this kind of problem? 

Habanero Smoker

Hi sloneker;

Welcome to the forum.

Fist I'm assuming you have the generator turned off. Sliding the temperature control all the way to the left in most cases there will be a small amount of heat. If you don't want any heat, then unplug the element. The high is rated at 320°F, before the high temperature sensor will trip and shut the unit off; but the 320°F is an optimistic high when the unit is empty, and the temperature will generally peak around 280°F; especially with the vent fully open. So if it is maintaining the a temperature between 250°F - 275°F then my guess would be you have a bad controller.

If your probe is accurate, then the problem is likely to be the temperature controller.  The temperature control is a rheostat; when you slide the controller to the right does the indicator light get brighter or does it stay at the same brightness? If it stays the same brightness, then it is not functioning correctly.

When you get your PID that will take care of the heat control, but since it is brand new I would first call Bradley to see if there is a simple fix; that way you won't have to take it back to the store to exchange it for another one.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)