• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Problems fixed, and first smoke

Started by Mat_M, December 15, 2009, 09:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat_M

Alrighty folks. I got my problem sorted out with the trip sensor and did some chicken breasts tonight. I brined them in a salt/sugar mix for 24 hours. I pre-heated to 280°F. Wrapped each breast with 4 pieces of bacon, and was ready to go. Used some Hickory pucks for the flavoring. I set the Auber PID to 285°F, but by the time the internal temp of the chicken hit 185°F, the Auber was still only reading 245°F (would like to know others' experience with the Auber). Total time in the smoker was 3 hours and 15 minutes (does that seem long? or is that about right? Total weight was probably around 3 pounds of meat). Needless to say we were all tasting a bit of heaven when we ate  ;D

Here is a picture of the finished product:

tsquared

Looks good Mat, how did it taste? BTW --your bradley is not going to get much above 250.
T2

classicrockgriller

Mat, that is a pretty picture.

You have two probes in meat and is that the auber temp in back of cabinet?

What are the two meat probes connected to?

Mat_M

Quote from: tsquared on December 15, 2009, 09:23:15 PM
Looks good Mat, how did it taste? BTW --your bradley is not going to get much above 250.
T2

With meat in it, I assume you mean. When I preheat, I can get it upwards of 295°F. Oh, and it tasted amazing...never had anything like that.

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 15, 2009, 10:26:52 PM
You have two probes in meat and is that the auber temp in back of cabinet?

What are the two meat probes connected to?

The two probes connect to a Maverick ET-7, and yes the one that looks like it's in the back is the Auber. It's just hanging straight down from the vent.

Habanero Smoker

What was causing the intitial problem. It would be helpful to others if you post the cause and the fix of your smoker shutting down on that thread.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mat_M

Ah yes, sorry I should have mentioned that. Here is my original post about the problem:
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=13112.0

What I ended up doing is bypassing the trip sensor to solve the issue.

classicrockgriller

Mat, I like your idea of the ET-7 with the Auber.

Again the Chicken looks great!

Mat_M

Since all this is new to me I wanted understand if the meat in the front (near the door) would be cooked slower than the meat in the back, which is directly above the heating element. Turns out there was a 5°F difference, but I'm sure that could be due to a myriad of things. Either way, I made sure the front ones got up to temperature before pulling them all out.

My good friend who ate with us was so impressed that he is buying a rack of ribs for my next smoke  ;D

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Mat_M on December 16, 2009, 09:32:38 AM
Since all this is new to me I wanted understand if the meat in the front (near the door) would be cooked slower than the meat in the back, which is directly above the heating element. Turns out there was a 5°F difference, but I'm sure that could be due to a myriad of things. Either way, I made sure the front ones got up to temperature before pulling them all out.

My good friend who ate with us was so impressed that he is buying a rack of ribs for my next smoke  ;D

Now that is how you do it. Smoke what they bring! ;D