• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Selling your smoked stuff at Farmer's markets?

Started by Smokeville, December 17, 2009, 06:19:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadking

Quote from: oakville smoker on December 17, 2009, 10:50:52 AM

I have noticed that there seems to be some serious money to be made on the restaurant side of this.  A place in the Junction called the Smokehouse is getting 9 bucks for a pulled pork Sammie.  They are selling ribs for huge amounts of money.  They are getting huge money for bacon sanmmis as well.  A place just opened in Oakville and they are getting about the same money.  These guys open 3 or 4 days a week, sell until they run out and people line up in the cold to buy the stuff.

I am getting closer to 50 years old every day and contemplating what I will do when corporate Canada no longer has a use for me.  Opening a place selling good smoked products could make some serious money.  By the time I get there the market could be saturated but in the meantime I will be watching it closely.  If you were set up with the right equipment in the right facility, I bet it could be a lucrative business.

What is a "bacon sanmmis" and a "Sammie"?

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Roadking on December 18, 2009, 07:41:38 AM
Quote from: oakville smoker on December 17, 2009, 10:50:52 AM

I have noticed that there seems to be some serious money to be made on the restaurant side of this.  A place in the Junction called the Smokehouse is getting 9 bucks for a pulled pork Sammie.  They are selling ribs for huge amounts of money.  They are getting huge money for bacon sanmmis as well.  A place just opened in Oakville and they are getting about the same money.  These guys open 3 or 4 days a week, sell until they run out and people line up in the cold to buy the stuff.

I am getting closer to 50 years old every day and contemplating what I will do when corporate Canada no longer has a use for me.  Opening a place selling good smoked products could make some serious money.  By the time I get there the market could be saturated but in the meantime I will be watching it closely.  If you were set up with the right equipment in the right facility, I bet it could be a lucrative business.

A Sandwich
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Roadking

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 18, 2009, 08:48:45 AM

A Sandwich

Ah, so cute  ::).  Talks just like a little child "Mommy can I have a sammie?" Give me a break what this country coming too?

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Roadking on December 18, 2009, 09:45:04 AM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 18, 2009, 08:48:45 AM

A Sandwich

Ah, so cute  ::).  Talks just like a little child "Mommy can I have a sammie?" Give me a break what this country coming too?
He's in Canada
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

oakville smoker

OUCH 10.5
That stung a bit    LOL
Ipicked up that term of endearment from a board member from Texas on this site
I will cease and desist my use of that  term immediately     :o

Smokeville
This new BBQ joint is called Big Smoke and its in Bronte on the Lakeshore
As luck would have it, we are going there for dinner tonight
i willlet you know how it is

I have not heard great reviews of the place in Burlington but I have not been there either
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Smokeville

Quote from: oakville smoker on December 18, 2009, 10:29:51 AM
Smokeville
This new BBQ joint is called Big Smoke and its in Bronte on the Lakeshore
As luck would have it, we are going there for dinner tonight
i willlet you know how it is

Please do... I may try them for lunch Saturday....

oakville smoker

Smokeville

I went there for dinner tonight and it was good.
I had some Texas beef ribs in Memphis sauce. delic !
I need to find a recipe for Memphis sauce

I asked to see the cooker and they let me in the kitchen on a busy Friday night
Its a big mother, an Old South
They were prepping final meals for the night and getting ready to load it with pork butts
They say the fire never goes out in the firebox and I saw the firebox too !

The owners say their biggest struggle is that Canadians dont understand real BBQ
They were impressed with the things I have smoked
I bragged about my DBS and my bacon and ribs and chicken LOL
I thought they would start laughing at my little "electric" smoker
Damn I need to get a Traeggar ! and I have a forest in my backyard !

Go check it out
My dinner companion had pulled pork
I snuck a taste, had to compare it to mine
Weird taste for me, smoke was almost cannibas like but I did not inhale and it was a long time ago

I should have asked what they smoked the butts in but forgot in the excitement

Go check it out, might tale the wife there for New Years dinner
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

classicrockgriller

I know that was fun.

cannibas? never heard that word.

Is that a meat tenderizier?

oak smok, you just need another Bradley to dbl your pleasure.

like twins.

Smokeville

Thanks, "Oak Smok"   :)

I may end up there for lunch today.

manxman

QuoteI try to keep it close, to friends, family and coworkers then let it go by word of mouth.

I tend to do the same and most of the time I barter rather than sell. The range of food I smoke and pass on brings me most of the fresh red meat, seafood and game I need plus a few jobs on the house I am renovating!

Like a couple of others I do have a dream of expanding (there is even a small shop for sale in the village where I live that would be ideal) but there is also a commercial smoke house about half a mile from my house that runs a farmers market on a Saturday so the competition is already well established!!

Not sure if bartering is covered by food safety regulations?
Manxman

tsquared

QuoteThought about it.  Smoked spices, etc...  But, then if I was going to get up that early in the spring, summer and fall to set up, why not just go fishing?
You've discovered my method! There is a local farmer's market on the way to my marina that runs on Sundays and I've discovered that fresh salmon will buy a lot of great produce!  ;)
T2

Roadking

Quote from: manxman on December 19, 2009, 07:19:37 AM
QuoteI try to keep it close, to friends, family and coworkers then let it go by word of mouth.

I tend to do the same and most of the time I barter rather than sell. The range of food I smoke and pass on brings me most of the fresh red meat, seafood and game I need plus a few jobs on the house I am renovating!

Like a couple of others I do have a dream of expanding (there is even a small shop for sale in the village where I live that would be ideal) but there is also a commercial smoke house about half a mile from my house that runs a farmers market on a Saturday so the competition is already well established!!

Not sure if bartering is covered by food safety regulations?

Here is what I found out over the years. Now where you live it might be a little different but New York, Penn., and New Jersey share the same laws.
If you are going to perform a service with wild game do not charge by the pound, charge by the hour if you charge by the pound, they will consider that as you are selling the product which is illegel in the 3 states. By charging by the hour you are only performing a servive for them. Also make sure you get the tag or copy of it to show you legally have possession of the game.
Also if the product you are making contains USDA inspected meats have the customer purchase the meats.
In the three states mentioned we are not allowed to sell any animal products. Here's a for instance that happened awhile back. A hardware business in N.Jersey which was sell fishing equipment and everything else was put out of business. What they did was purchase fishing lures that contained whitetail deer hair. The fine was $100,00.00 for every lures they had in the building, the newspaper quoted 500 lures. Do the math. The Divison of fish and game traced the lure maker to Penn. and he was put out of business and also fined. Here's the catch if the lure maker would have used mule deer hair there wouldn't have been a problem because the mule deer is not native to the states of Penn. & N.J.

Are you aware that in any state you are not allow to sell your mounted trophies (deer heads, etc.). You can give them away but not make any moneys from them.