Arctic Smoker here, checking in!

Started by Arctic Smoker, December 17, 2009, 09:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Smoker

Hello all,

"Arctic Smoker" here from, where else, the Arctic -- the Northwest Territories in Canada, to be more precise. 

I'm hoping to put our new OBS to use with some of the local fish (Pike, Lake Trout, Grayling, Char) and game (Caribou, Ptarmigan, Hare) that we have here. 

Having lived in the 'States for a while, I'm also hoping to replicate some of that awesome brisket and ribs "all y'all" have down there.  That stuff is awesome!

Stand by for lots of newbie questions...  ;D

OU812

Welcome to the fun.

Bring on the questions, the folks here will jump all over each other trying to answer them and there are no stupid questions here.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KevinG

Welcome to the fun. Well I'll spin the questions around on you. With temperatures that cold, I'm guessing you don't have refrigerators, is there some type of equipment that keeps your food warmer like in the 35 to 40 degree range (maybe we can call it a defrigerator)?  ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

Welcome to the forum and I can see now that we will have as many questions as you will.

Does smoke freeze? ;D

Welcome aboard!

dbondy

Welcome arcticsmoker,can,t wait to hear about some of that northern fish and game that comes out of your new smoker. These guys and gals here are great for answering any questions you may have. It will be nice to see how the bradly holds up to the extreme cold. By the way if you have to much snow and cold air, maybe you can send some down to southern ont. My 2 sleds are crying for some snow. ;D

Arctic Smoker

Trust me, I'd LOVE to send some of this cold down south, although I bet there'd be a lot of unhappy people if I did!

It has warmed up today, it's only -18 degrees C (that's -1degree F) outside, practically balmy.

KevinG: We still have refrigerators, as that's the only way to stop the beer from freezing!  White wine chills quite nicely in my unheated garage in about 20 minutes...  8)

seemore

RossP

Welcome Arctic Smoker you live in a great part of our country I spent some time up there in the mid 70s. I am trying to get the wife to go back up for some holidays but it looks like I will be doing it on my own. Great fishing and hunting. I was in Hay River and Tuk. What part of the NWT are you in?

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Arctic Smoker!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

Hi Arctic Smoker and welcome.  Please don't send any of that cold down here.  The jet stream has been doing enough of that lately  >:(
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Arctic Smoker

RossP,

We're in Yellowknife, just moved back here last summer, having lived here a decade ago.  Never thought we'd be back, but never say never!

It's warmed up even further, only -5 degrees C outside today.  Gotta get that smoker seasoned while it's still comfortable outside!

Caribou

Welcome to the forum Arctic Smoker!
Stay warm  :D
Do they still have the polar-bear shaped license plates up there?
I have one from a visit there when I was a kid....a long time ago  :D
Carolyn

Paddlinpaul

I'm in Ottawaand we are only getting highs of -1oC last few days, feels a lot worse with the windchill. We need to put on a toque in the hot tub to keep the ears warm. Water is 102F but sure is nasty getting in and out. I seasoned my Bradley today at -13C (5F approx) and it had no problem maintaining the temp even with the wind.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

Hopefull Romantic

Welcome to the forum Arctic Smoker

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.